Main Menu

Sponsors:

poll: favorite season

Started by Ron Wenrich, September 11, 2005, 08:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Frickman

I like summer the best, because I love baling hay. I may make my living sawing, but I'm part farmer at heart.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

thedeeredude

chet

I gotta say I like dem all. But it would be nice if winter would share a little more time with da other three seasons.  :-\
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Furby

Move farther South Chet!

I have a love/hate relationship with all of them.................so I don't think I can vote! ::)

DanG

I checked Fall because it is such a relief from the brutal heat.  I used to like Spring better, but it is so hectic with all the activities, and the grass starts growing, and I gotta look forward to mowing and mowing and mowing.  Now, as I get into the Fall of my life, I like to relax a bit and watch things lay down for a little nap.  I can look forward to the mosquitos going away(and the grass not growing) and the pecans starting to fall(and the grass not growing) and the greens getting ready in the garden(and the grass not growing), and the Fall festivals(and the grass not growing), and not breaking a sweat just walking across the DanG yard.  Oh yes, did I mention that the grass stops growing in the Fall?

BTW, ask me this again in about 6 months, and the answer might be different. ;) :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Depending on which one I'm in, I'm wishing for the other.   Winter is cool, I can find stuff to do that is fun but I like it the least, I think.  There are no leaves.

Fall is OK.   I like Thanksgiving and Halloween.  

Spring is really neat,  Everything is busting out.  the leaves are new and green and the grass begins to cover the ground again.

Summer is my most favorite of all. it's wet. Everything is alive.  All the animals are roaming. All the flowers are blooming.   most of the fruits and vegetables are fresh and available, and there is Watermelon!  The fish are biting, the kids are out of school, everybody is the happiest.  :)

ARKANSAWYER

I was going to vote but did not see deer season.  That's why I like my WoodMizer it reminds me of deer season.
ARKANSAWYER

isawlogs

I like fall and winter , No bugs , no grass , no sweating . But most of all its hunting season .

Now Arky ..

I just gotta ask , where does the Mizer and deer season come together .  Cause when I am doing one I sure cant be thinking of the other .  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Rockn H

I suppose I've always liked fall the best.  The lower humidity means the haze of summer starts to leave and a crisp clear coolness slowly returns to the morning air.  The bleak blue sky of summer slowly returns to a deep cool blue background for the endless colored leaves of autumn.
It also means huntin season is here. :D  You know my WM reminds me of deer season too.  For some reason though, here lately it has me thinking more of Daisy Duke. ::) ::) smiley_smug01

Blake22

I'm with Arkansawyer.....Deer season
Blake

Paul_H

I like em all except Winter.I do like the fact that Winter forces me to slow down, but for 5 months?  Come on  ::)

Nope,don't like Winter at all.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Rockn H

Shoot Paul_H, this is the time of year we start speeding up. :D

8) 8)

Ernie_Edwards

My favorite season is fishing season, which here in Mich is all year. Didn't do much ice fishing in Arizona but have sure enjoyed it here, nicely rounds out the year and keeps the freezer stocked.

When I retired and moved here it was great to leave the stress behind, told everybody back home that my most stressful decisions were going to be should I fish upstream or downstream.

Yeah...fishing season.

crtreedude

Blantant favortism is going on here!  >:(  There is no choices up there for those of us in the tropics. We only have two seasons.  :)

1. Dry Season: January - April (roughly)
2. Wet Season May - December

I like em both. By the time the dry season comes, I am ready for a little less mud but I love the rains here - they are WARM! When it is raining, no one runs for cover, they just keep on keeping on.

Neither season is hot or cold, just about right in my opinion.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

sawguy21

I like summer best. Long evenings to fish, mow the lawn, sit outside sucking on a cold drink. Doesn't get dark until eleven and light again at 3:30.  I'm with Paul on winter. Too DanG long and cold here.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Todd

Arkansawyer....you could combine the two : can you process deer on the Woodmizer? :D :D :D :D
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

OneWithWood

I like 'em all.  Everyday is a precious commodity to be enjoyed to the max  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Sprucegum

I voted fall because it's here now and my short attention span lets me enjoy every moment, just like Onewithwood 8)

Roxie

Autumn!  Crystal blue sky, brilliant leaves, apple cider, warm meals, and the best snuggling weather possible!   :)
Say when

Jeff

I gotta think Arky must be referring to Hunter's Blaze Orange.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SAW MILLER

I like the fall because it's cool and crisp.There is something about the smells of a fall woods that brings back so many good memories.Hunting gensing with my dad,hunting deer and squirels with my son,dragging in the firewood with my old mule Bill.That smell makes me look for paw paws,persimmons,bittersweet and hickorynuts.I like to listen to the breeze blow thru the dry quakin asp leaves,it sounds like a gentle rain.The fact that fall has arrived reminds me that GOD is still at the helm.
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

Paschale

Quote from: Chet on September 11, 2005, 09:08:45 PM
I gotta say I like dem all. But it would be nice if winter would share a little more time with da other three seasons.  :-\

:D :D  Now that's just laugh out loud funny.   ;D

Unfortunately, there wasn't an option on there that said "everything but WINTER!"  Actually, I like winter just fine...until about January 15, then I'm ready for spring.   ::)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: Paschale on September 12, 2005, 09:25:07 PM
Quote from: Chet on September 11, 2005, 09:08:45 PM

:D :D  Now that's just laugh out loud funny.   ;D

Unfortunately, there wasn't an option on there that said "everything but WINTER!"  Actually, I like winter just fine...until about January 15, then I'm ready for spring.   ::)

What a coincidence!  That's just when spring starts up here!   :D :D :D :D :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

eldorado

Spring is my favorite because it's turkey season. 183 days left and I'm counting every second.

Ianab

Lets see...
Autumn it rains to much to get much sawing done ...but the surfing is good
Winter it just rains all the time....But the sufing is good
Spring it rains too much to get much sawing done.. but the sufing is good
Summer is too hot to do much sawing... but the water is cool for surfing

So I voted all seasons  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Cedarman

Fall is best. Sitting around a campfire roasting hotdogs and marshmallows and telling stories.  Smell the new fallen leaves.

The only good thing about winter is that the ticks and chiggers are gone.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

ARKANSAWYER

Yep! the orange makes me think about deer season.  Also I am portable alot and see lots of deer where I work.  Deer cross here in the log yard at home and I have seen deer tracks in the sawdust by Wanda.

Maybe I need to contact WM and see if I can get the blade guys to make a meat cutting blade for the mill.  I would suggest a 4 degree as the best choice now  ;D  You know if you got the deer chilled good it would be like sawing frozen logs.  You could chuck it with the feet up and start sawing stakes, then flip it side ways and split it down the middle.  Had a guy aske me if I could saw a deer onetime bit I told him he would have to buy the blade and $5 for the carwash.  It was a no go.  Me and the carwash guy is into it any way. ;D
ARKANSAWYER

Patty

Could be because he is still pluckin' duck feathers out of the drain, Arky.  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

beenthere

Arky
Not so far out, as my hunting buddy decided to try just that one year. He skinned his deer and then put it in the freezer. He had a large (~3' diam wheels) band saw, and I think he had a meat cutting blade.  Then he actually did cut up the deer in his woodshop.  Cleaning up afterwards was near impossible, and there was a distinct lingering oder other than sawdust, but most importantly they couldn't stand to eat the venison. The bone dust and fat smeared across the meat and when eating the venison, it had a very gamey taste. His wife said "Never again". 
I am just the opposite. I debone and 'de-fat' the deer and only package the lean meat, larger muscles and loins for cooking on the grill, and most of the rest into 1" cubes for 1 # packages of stew meat.  No gamey flavor at all.

Bow hunting begins this coming Saturday.

Nice buck in that pic Arky.  I saw three bucks together two weeks ago, still in velvet, and all good size (but not that big).  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

gary

From my expriences of cutting up a deer you DO NOT want to use any bandsaw that was not made for cutting meat . I tried useing a small wood bandsaw to cut a deer. The mess was not worth it. I do use a sawsall to cut my deer in half I just buy a new blade for it every year. I butcher about 60 deer a year.

Patty

Yep, the old Sawzall is great for cutting up meat. While we certainly don't butcher 60 deer a year, we do quite a few, and anything that saves time and work, is a good thing.  ;)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

mike_van

Late fall - bare trees - grey sky - wood smoke - Now, where did I leave that snow shovel????
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

PawNature

My favorite is Spring cause everything is coming alive instead of dying.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Jodi

Well, I like them all. Summer because it's hot and the lakes are just the right temp. Spring because of all the pretty blossoms. Winter because it's cozy, and the mountains look gorgeous when covered in snow. Then Autumn. Leaves blowin, and the frost making everything shimmer. Then of course I love the rain priduced during each of them. ::) ;D

ARKANSAWYER

Patty would you believe that there are still duck feathers in the rafters of that bay.   :o  I think all the fish scales are gone though.  ;)

I guess I will forget about the blade for Wanda and get a blade for my sawsall.   Most of the time I just drop the deer off at the processors and pick up white packegs.

Bow season starts 1 Oct here and runs till Feb.  We have a 3 point rule here where to be a legal buck he must have 3 points longer then 1 inch on one side.   I like the 3 points for better eating. (two ears and one tail)  :D
ARKANSAWYER

chisel

Any of them except winter. The older I get the further south I want to move. Spring and fall are a tie with me. This time of year feeds my soul...especially when I'm outside all day helping my dad with the corn/soybean harvest.

SwampDonkey

I like fall the best. The smell of the woods after a fall rain, the color of hardwoods, no flies, no heat. I don't hate winter though because my cellar is full of nice hardwood and things slow down.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

redpowerd

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Ed_K

Late fall, it's eazier loggin  ;D. And mud season runs second, cause we're sugarin  8).
Ed K

mometal77

They are all nice.  The nice thing about winter is it seems time stands still.
bob
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Phorester

Winter.  Love it.  Air smells better.  Coffee tastes better.  Sleep better at night. 

Sprucegum

I forgot to mention the smell of highbush cranberries in the fall, I love it. I'm inhaling as deeply as I can and the wife(a praire girl) is looking around asking "What's that stink?" ;D ;D

woodbowl

I had to vote, "Like them all" because they are all great and I can't imagine just one season. However, if I was asked which season do I like the best considering I live in the SE, work and sweat like a horse and stay so tired that it is hard to think straight........well........winter! ;) Now that is a Florida winter. I've got to say, fall is a mighty fine all around season for comfort.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

maple flats

I answered Fall, because it is deer season. Runs from 9/27 til mid Dec. Just love it. But it is closely followed by winter. Do most of my logging and lots of other outdoor work in the winter. I can work for hours on end during winter. Never have a problem keeping warm as long as I'm working. Don't get overheated either. When I start to get too warm just take off a layer. Dress much lighter than most but always in layers. When I am out of the wind I am often working in my shirt sleaves during winter. The woods are soooo pretty and everything except me is at rest. I just love it. No bugs, no sweating, my drinking water keeps cold without any ice. It's just right. 8) 8) ;D  Fall and winter are followed by spring, pretty good, then summer and bugs, heat, sweat, Oh did I mention the heat? I do not do well in the heat and my water gets warm, yuk!
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.