Main Menu

Sponsors:

Poll: hunter

Started by Ron Wenrich, October 08, 2006, 08:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

I was waiting for someone to respond to that. I am staying out of it smiley_horserider
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

farmerdoug

Deer and coon here.  I have to hunt them as they try to eat the farm here every year.  It is like putting a finger in the hole in the dam though.  One year I shot 25 deer myself and a total of 38 deer with all hunters here.  The next year they were just as bad.  Oh well I guess I could have worst problems.  They say there is bear and wild pigs moving into the area too. :o

Doug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Tom

Farming can be a fattening experience. :D :D

what they should do is allow the marketing of deer, by farmers, to the local government for feeding old folks homes, etc.  It would be a better option than leaving them to decompose naturally.

When I was a kid we could hunt rabbits in the orange groves at night with a light, if we didn't pick them up.  It was considered an agricultural pest avoidance program.  If you picked them up for supper, then you were considered to be fire hunting/shining.

Blake22

Avid, but I do my best to go everyday during the season. When I used to hunt deer with dogs I tried even harder to go everyday. I felt like I owed that much to my ole hounds.

Hey limbrat, I ate a crow one time but I don't know 'bout a nutria. :-\ But I ain't gonna say that I won't cause good nutria is bound to be good. ;D
Blake

metalspinner

I thought I never went huntin' till Limbrat said this...

QuoteI like to hunt gar

When I was a kid, we would shoot gar on hot summer days with a 22.  That seemed like fun at the time.

Limbrat, where is your town located?  I grew up in Morgan City. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

DomR

Used too be fanatic, then avid and now casual.  Took my neice out last Sat on a special 12-15 yr old hunt in WI and let her use my permanentstand.  She passed up 3 seperate does at 8 yards.  After a lot of prodding I convinced her to shoot (at) one just to get her 1st out of the way.  Besides, how many of us have shot a deer with a rifle at 8 yards?  1 hour later she's field dressing her first deer and yes, it was about 6 yards from her when she shot it from her new (formerly my old) tree stand.  ha ha
Made my year.
DomR
life is a merry go round and I'm getting dizzy

limbrat

Metalspinner i live about 30 miles north of Alex. near a little speed trap called Dry Prong. I got my mr B boat out of Morgan City you dont see many of them north of I10 but they sure are some good boats for the rivers. When 90 was 2 lane through Morgan City i use to pull over and watch them work on them jack up rigs and they were building riverboat cassinos a couple of years ago.Yea 90 to 24 to 1 to Grand Isle. I wonder if there is gona be anywhere down there to sleep next year when the specks and reds start running in the surf. Oh Well if its still tore up i will take a tent and sleep on the beach wont be like its the first time. Going to Bayou De Lage  below Homa the second weekend in Nov. to visit a friend and thin out some of them big swamp rabbits on the spoil banks. He said i got to wear a mask this time i was tearing them up to bad  last time. ;D  I like it here! I can go a hundred miles in any direction and be in a completely different culture. I dont know anywere else in the states like that. Well its late and im still up i know what the problem is but i cant get it out of my mind, tomorrow is the first of black powder. Had the same problem last week with the first of squirrel and the week before with the first of bow. I have got to get most of my meat in the freezer before gun season starts. Im less than a hundred miles from acadiana and its mostly national forest around here so when gun season starts you wont be able to step in the woods without stepping on a coonass. My mom and my wife are acadian and nepolianiac french but my dad was a red neck so that makes me a hybrid yeap im a redass. But still not a fanatic  good night.  Ben
ben

Raphael

Formerly avid deer hunter now casual, last couple years only people hunting our property are 'guests'.  I was an avid squirrel hunter for a day, right up till I had to process those tiny little carcases into food.  :D
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Ed_K

Used to be between avid and casual, when I worked in a machine shop. Got my last deer in 2000, w/ the 44 mag. Since I went to work logging, gypo style, hunting is for that nice cherry log or birdseye maple. I see more game now but the $ logs are hard to find  ;D .
Ed K

Murf

I used ta get out deer an turkey huntin every year, bird and rabbit the odd time too, not so much any more, time's too short usually.

B'sides, dat little black'n'white pooch over der (<------), da Life a' Rylie, gits me a robbit in da backyard 'bout 2 or 3 times a month. Dey like da taste of da windfall apples, she likes ta chase em. She usually does better'n dey do.

She got me a nice fat one Saturday night.  ;D

Best of all when she gits me one, no stray pellets!!!  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

isawlogs

Fanatical ,
I start to prepare my hunting season the day after it ends . I cant add much more then that .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

ely

it's not really hunting in my words, but if i am not sawmilling i am bowfishing or building something on my boat pertaining to bowfishing. its the real reason i don't hunt as much as i use to.

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm an avid hunter, deer and turkey. I would say finatic but then I remember all the times I have been caught napping in the woods. Just getting into Bow hunting, see my thread on the outdoor forum, so I may get finatical soon ;D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Robert R

Recovering fanatic.  I used to go out every day of nearly every season.  This was when I lived in the city.  After I moved to the country and didn't have to rely on public land, it became not nearly so challenging and I was outside so much anyway that I started getting very sporadic.  Usually, someone at church will give me a deer or two so I don't even go out for them anymore.  Just the occassional squirrel or coon hunt for fun, and bullfrogs, gotta have bullfrogs.  Does possum, coon, fox pest control count?  I am a fanatic about that!!
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Max sawdust

Used to be fanatical now casual. 

I find Gun deer the most efficient, like OWW, wander out on the opener before light and fill the tag before noon with any luck   ;)  See the trick to success is my secret cover scent.  (The smell of chainsaw exhaust, bar oil and saw dust on cloths that have not been washed for a very long time.)
:D

Ya see,, once I got me one of dem "once in a lifetime" trophy DEAR like Bob, I had to start listening to the freezer to know when I should go hunting like Mod.. ;)

I am sure someday when my boys get bigger I will get back into it more.

max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Jeff

I just finished up bear season hunting 37 of 41 days averaging about 10 hours a day combined of sitting in the blind or baiting or scouting. I'll say casual. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

alone

Quote from: Dan_Shade on October 08, 2006, 08:36:45 PM
what are you when you go to the woods to avoid the world for a while, and then fall asleep on a stump?  :) You can sleep 20 years and when you wake up you will notice your world has changed a lot like in the story "Rip van Wrinkle".  Be carefull  :D :

I guess i'm casual.