iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Franklin Machinery shuts down

Started by Frickman, January 20, 2009, 07:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frickman

I just read where Franklin Equipment company shut down operations at Christmas and has a skeleton crew keeping the lights on. They are taking a wait and see approach to when they start building machines again. The article said they are going to see how much business comes to them, so they maybe aren't even out there looking for sales.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Ironwood

"wait and see approach" is usually the death kiss to a business.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

capt n cutz

seems to be the thing to do these days.  but how long to wait.  unemployment and welfare should be hiring soon, I would think.

got an email the other day Cummins to let go 800 with remaining employees to take salary cuts!

Hide and Watch!
So...You want to be a Logger? eh!

deutz4

The story I read about 2 weeks ago said that they had filed bankruptcy and were closing permanently. They gave several reasons, the biggest of which is that they are a small family owned company and can no longer compete in marketing, finances, and R&D with Deere and Caterpiller. They are also involved with some sort of litigation and said that is in their best interest to close the doors at this time.
The company that we subcontract to is also a dealer. He had no clue this was coming. He is now scrambling to get hold of Franklin specific parts (esp. transmissions). Between them and us we have 17 Franklins in the woods. I'd hate to think how much resale value we lost.

Kodiakmac

Funny how it goes, eh?

Can-Car shuts down its Fort William, (now Thunder Bay) Ontario Treefarmer assembly lines, moves south to Alabama, gets bought up by Franklin, and now this.

John deer buys Timberjack in Woodstock Ontaio, Closes the plant in 2005, and now we're hearing that JD will be starting to build 'agricultural' stuff in China.

I don't know if there's a pattern here, but I wonder if a guy with 10 years experience on the JD production lines is liable to get his gold watch?
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

Thank You Sponsors!