iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

PECAN HOPE CHEST PICS

Started by woodweasel, December 17, 2013, 11:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodweasel

AS promised heres the end result of a 60' Pecan Tree from Robertson
County Texas ;D

I cut it a good 1"- 11/4" thick. Based on what i learned about pecan on the forum I knew it would twist & warp. i was able to plane it down to a workable 3/4". The grain and color is awsome.It has 3-4 coats of pure tung oil on it. 5-6 coats of semi gloss poly on top. My portable Barbi Tools didnt like me very much as it was hard ::) But the end result was worth it 8) 8)[imhttp://www.forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/31179/PECAN_CHEST_12-13_002%7E0.jpg[/img] 

Deese

Woodweasel that is just beautiful  :o :o :o :o
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

mesquite buckeye

Pretty cool. Them hickory smiley_devil's are might purty. ;D :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

dboyt

Beautiful work!  It is great to see the end product.  That pecan came out nice, and the care in the finish really shows.  Built from plans?  One thing I'd suggest is a way to keep the lid from coming down quickly (like air shocks-- Rockler has them).  I read a few years a go about a child who was killed by a falling chest lid.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

SawyerBrown

Oh, wow, that's just gorgeous! 
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

orion388

Man you shouldn't have!!!!!!! But go ahead and send it ...  :D

Merry Christmas my friend!
LT35HD, Kubota L4330, Stihl 361, 026, Massey Fersuson 55, Ventrac, Grasshopper, Small dumptruck and a huge yearning for knowledge from this forum.

wolf nemeth

Nice chest, Weasel!  How did you deal with the  entire  tree?  Did you saw the trunk  down to 1" and 1 1/4, or did you also do other thicknesses?  I ask because I keep  staring at a couple of  180 year-old pecan in the yard that will come down  soon, and I want to be prepared.  What diameter tree did you saw? How long did you dry it?
thanks
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

lowpolyjoe

LoneDuck

Beautiful work. I got my mill so I can do the same. Can't buy wood like that.

samandothers

Beautiful, just beautiful!   The  smiley_devil looks very nice in that finish!

mmartone

Very pretty chest, nice work and pretty wood.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Magicman

Pecan is a very beautiful wood and turns out some eye popping projects.  Yours is a perfect example.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Den-Den

Several people beat me to it; beautiful chest.  The care and effort that you put into it shows up in the quality of the product.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

drobertson

Beautiful chest woodwsl,  I sawed some out this past summer for a fellow planning a similar project, it is still drying to my knowledge, it sawed out nice, no issues, and had similar contrasting features,   thanks for sharing,  david

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

The  smiley_devil looks good in finished form  ;D.  Now the tools can breathe a sigh of relief. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sawdust Lover

Great job on the chest! Now build one out of pine and you will really see how difficult it was using  smiley_devil wood.

markkelly

LT 10 Woodmizer, Stihl, Husquvana,wood carving tools, Ford 3000 Tractor, Trailer.

woodweasel

The tree was dozed down in a subdivision my buddy was putting in. I cut it in 3
equal lengths, to get it on my gooseneck. I only sawed one section, As I said ,cut it 1''-11/4" thickness to compensate for twist& warp. If I remember correctly that was the top section @28" diameter! Base is bigger than than that obviously! I air dried it under my barn for 6-7months! It had some little bugs
in it so I sprayed with 50/50 bleach & water. Didnt put any weight on it so it did twist & warp rather bad ::) Planed it to 3/4" & used the natural edge for some of the trim ;D Grain & color really jumps out at you with the Tungoil. Have some lid supports at home! Built it on my tugboat & only have string to support the lid as of now  ::)Had more waste than Im used to with my Cedar >:( Some from the wood & some from the way I handled the wood :o Didnt put sealer on the ends- lots of splits!! Wood is awsome, but difficult to work with my Barbi Tools!! Well worth it though 8) 8) 8)

justallan1

Beautiful wood and craftsmanship both.

Allan

Thank You Sponsors!