iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Groundhowgs have 10 lives

Started by Bibbyman, June 20, 2017, 08:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Bibby,

Around here buzzards know to hang out around hay fields during haying. They get lots of fawns and snakes and such killed by the tractors and equipment.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

gspren

When I shoot or trap a groundhog near my buildings I take them out in the open in one of the pastures and the buzzards find them fast.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

sandhills

I hate seeing them (buzzards) around our calving yards, always tells me I missed something in the trees but so far they haven't circled over me, yet.  ::)

Bibbyman

Another one bites the dust!  I'm thinning them out or they are getting really cautious.  I've only got a glimpse of one in the past 4-5 days.   This evening I had set and watched for an hour then stood to go back to the house.  I caught sight of one crossing from one side of the drive to the other.   For some fatal reason, it stopped and turned to look back.  It gave me a good broadside shot. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ToddsPoint

Ground hog skins make great boot laces.  Really tough.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

Bibbyman

I got another groundhowg last evening and laid it out in front of one of my trail cams.  This hawk came to check it out but I didn't get any pictures of it working on the groundhowg.  In the night, coons fell on the caucus and consumed it totally from what I can tell.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Savannahdan

Nice picture.  Reminds me of the time many years ago when I lived in Louisville, KY, and my neighbor came over to my place and told me we needed to shoot a groundhog in another neighbors field. It had been digging wholes in the side of our ponds.  I told him my rifle wasn't scoped in and that any shot I took would only count if I got it between the eyes.  I loaded the rifle (30-06) with one round and lowered it on the groundhog until I felt it time to shoot.  I fired and the groundhog disappeared.  Jack said lets go check it out.  We went down into the field and found the big groundhog with a bullet just "above" between the eyes.  There was a small hole in front and the whole back of her head was gone.  I told Jack that I would have made a more accurate shot if the rifle had been scoped in. 
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

DR_Buck

I've used 22 lr but found poison smoke bombs shoved down the holes works too.    I use these :

https://www.amazon.com/Revenge-Rodent-8-pack-Gophers-Woodchucks/dp/B015BSQ7Q6
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

thecfarm

Yes,those smoke bombs work good. I sell them at work and use to buy them there before I worked there. I like use a small stick or limb or a sticker and tie the smoke bomb onto to it. This keeps my hands away from the heat of the fuse and gives me more time to put the bomb where it needs to go. I try to find the exit hole too. Throw the dirt into one hole,smoke bomb in the other. If they dig it out,means it was not in there,try it again. It's best to see it go into the hole,but the way it was when we was mowing the field for hay,grass is 3 feet tall,hard to see when it goes into the hole.
Now that we mow the few every 2 weeks,the woodchucks live in the stone walls.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GAB

Many years ago, the owner of a Saab that you had to mix the oil with the gas used his car for woodchuck eradication on his new to him farm.  He put an extra measure of oil in the gas, attached a hose to the exhaust, and went from hole to hole putting the car exhaust to the holes as he piled dirt around the hose then revved the engine a few times then off to the next one.  He thinned them out quite nicely.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Mooseherder

My groundhog hanging out by the burn pile tonight.  He was eating greenery and weeds.  Not gonna whack him yet.  He's gotta worry about other predators for now.

coxy

your just trying to fatten up for a better taste just don't forget to cut the little white glands out from under the front leg arm pits or it will taste horrible  trust me  :D   

sprucebunny

The other day I went to a town a few miles away to get t-shirts at a department store that's 'downtown'.
The cement sidewalk met the buildings foundation and as I'm walking towards the door, there is a baby woodchuck hurrying along ahead of me !

I explained to it that it had made a bad choice and it had better turn around and go back to the lawn next door. But it wouldn't turn around. I'd shuffle my feet towards it and it would back up five feet and I'd shuffle some more and it would back up some more. There was cars going by in the street and one woman asked what the creature was.... After about 60 feet of shuffling and backing up 'junior' was back around the corner of the building and that was the best I could do for him.

I don't want them in my garden but don't want to see them mashed in the road in the middle of town !
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

upnut

My favorite woodchuck gun for short range, a scoped Marlin Model 200, a .410 shotgun shooting Remington Sluggers. They don't crawl away!

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

coxy

looks like some good eating if you didn't make chuck burger out of it  :D

Mooseherder

My ground hog now has a name.  GH hangs out in the morning and evening.  I think his home is under the greenery by the stump he is on.

Peter Drouin

I have some too ,they don't bother none. ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Grizzly

I wondered if they was the same as woodchucks and when I asked google it found Wikipedia and it said they were the same. So I guess we have them up here too. I don't think we've ever seen one in the yard but the dogs have found a couple out in the field. They didn't last long. Mostly our problem has been muskrats and they can be a tough one to put down.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

DelawhereJoe

I've also heard them called "whistle pigs" but that was from some very old timers.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Texas Ranger

Trust me on this, do not grill them.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Grizzly

I'll trust ya alright. But I'm curious.
Porcupine are supposed to be a good meat and their diet is primarily bark and such. Not really grain or grass eaters. Squirrels are mostly grain/seed eaters and are also supposed to be good meat. So what decides if an animal is good eating? Can't be directly related to diet? Our deer are mostly grass and grain eaters and are good, but in BC where I grew up deer were predominantly twig and tree eaters and I really didn't like them. I'm just curious I guess. So what's the main diet of a whistle pig/woodchuck/groundhog?
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Mooseherder

This guy is eating weed leaves and grass.
He loads up every morning and evening.

Texas Ranger

Back in the day a bunch of foresters had a bar b que for a bunch of folks.  Mostly wild game and fish.  Ground hog was one of them.  It was tough, stringy and the only taste was the sauce.  Most folks just tasted it and passed.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

coxy

I have ate lots of them after my gma told me how to prepare them you have to cut the little white gland out from between the front leg and rib cage they are much more tender if they are parboiled and then browned or cooked on a grill real slooow

thecfarm

Peter,my dislike of them wood chunks comes from the haying day. Run into a mound of dirt that the wood chunk has dug out of it's hole with a sickle bar mower and you would not like them either.  ;D  Gives ya something to do. Take the knife out and sharpen it. Oh well,time to be greased anyways.  ;D
The critters can do a number on a garden too. Need more raised beds like you have.
And by the way,you have A LOT more than some too. I kill 3-4 each year. Kinda like grey squirrels or chipmunks. There is a never ending supply.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!