iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Expensive Toys

Started by Radar67, August 15, 2008, 11:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

I've always been one to think you do not have to spend a lot of money on a gun to get a good one. Recently I've been enamoured by the Beretta Xtrema 2 12 gauge shotgun. Does anyone own one of these and if so, is it worth the price tag?

I like the Beretta brand. I own one of their rifles, but it wasn't this expensive.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

ely

no i do not own one. and your better half probably would not want be issueing this bit of philosophy on you. but here goes.
i am of the opinion that you only go around once, why not go around shooting the shotgun that you want. i aint saying it is any better than a mossberg from walmart but i happen to think it probably is. another thing about this big circle of life that alot of folks do not think about.......it is a timed event.......make you choices carefully but do not dalley.

Norm

I couldn't agree more ely.

I don't have a beretta either but have always wanted one of their o/u shotguns. The one you asked about looks like a beauty Stew. If you enjoy hunting I think that using a well made gun is well worth it.

Besides anybody that will go through what you have to duck hunt deserves it!

Corley5

I like very nice firearms and when adding one to the collection the brand is a top consideration.  When it comes to a gun that I'm going to be taking into the brush, rocks, rain, snow etc I go for functionality.  I'm all for stainless steel and composite stocks  :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Radar67

The CFO is not liking the comments here.  ;) My birthday is in October, maybe I can wear her down by then.  :) Or else she'll just get tired of hearing about it, one or the other... :D

I have been through a lot to duck hunt, haven't I? And ya'll have only heard a small portion of it. Anybody remember "TK and MIKE"? We were known as Billy Bob, Bubba, Oddball, and friends.  :D :D :D

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

crtreedude

A couple of thoughts on this.

One, when I was a teenager I owned a Weatherby 22 of all things. Such a sweet gun. Incredible really and worth it.

Two, it is a bit embrasing to have a gun that is much better than you can shoot... No point making yourself look silly. But, if you are a good shot, then a nice gun is a wonderful thing.

But it might cost you something similar for the CFO...  :D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

CLL

Your CFO can do like mine. If I buy foolishness(according to the CFO) she is entitled to same amount for her foolishness(according to me). :D :D
Too much work-not enough pay.

Radar67

Well, she is out of luck this time...first I just remodeled the bathroom for her, so that would count for her foolishness in my book. But, I have decided against the purchase...for now.  ;)

CR, think she might like a Benelli?

ibseeker

For me it's fishing reels. In the last few years the quality of reels has improved significantly, unfortunately I've already got about 18 or 20 and it's hard to justify buying a new one when the old ones work. Then I realized that I've probably only got another 20 or so years to do sportfishing which means about 20 more trips! That kind of depressed me so I went out and bought a new Avet HX 5/2..... 8)

When the wife asks when I got that shiny new reel, I'll just give her the same old line she gives me.....this old thing? I've had it for years.  ;)
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

dutchman

I hunt grouse with a good dog as often as possible.
I have a Browning Citori O/U, upland special 24"bbl, that is nice to swing.
Last spring I started looking for a side/side of the same grade.
There are many nice s/s out there, tried nearly a dozen in shops.
Beretta dealer called and said he had a deal. He did, mod. 471,
26", with tubes.
Only s/s I own, worth the search, and the wait.

Fla._Deadheader

I got my share of Grouse, using a .410 Stevens model 311 S/S. Made handloads for it for years. Gave $30.00 for it, used. New and 'spensive is nice, but, not necessary.

OH, NO Dog, either.  ::) ;D ;D ;D  Just gotta larn "The Secret".  ;D ;D ;D ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Burlkraft

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on August 30, 2008, 09:32:48 AM

OH, NO Dog, either.  ::) ;D ;D ;D  Just gotta larn "The Secret".  ;D ;D ;D ;)

I'm sure if a guy was ta ask Ed about the secret it prolly went sumpthin' like this,    "ED...Git in there and git them birds out!"   :D   :D   :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Fla._Deadheader

Ed weren't even thought about, at that time.  ::) ::) ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

scsmith42

That Extrema sure looks like a nice gun.  I still can't get over the video of the trick shooter using one above his head!

I must say that I love my Benelli though!

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Blake22

Quote from: dutchman on August 29, 2008, 11:07:47 PM
I hunt grouse with a good dog as often as possible.
I have a Browning Citori O/U, upland special 24"bbl, that is nice to swing.
Last spring I started looking for a side/side of the same grade.
There are many nice s/s out there, tried nearly a dozen in shops.
Beretta dealer called and said he had a deal. He did, mod. 471,
26", with tubes.
Only s/s I own, worth the search, and the wait.

I shoot a citori myself. I've had it since '82 and it still new. It's the only thing I own that I've taken care of. When I was in my teens I shot a winchester model 21 that my dad had when he was a kid. It's a 20 gauge and it really shoots sweet. Only problem is Dad won't let me near it anymore. We used to hunt quail (with good dogs) but the quail population went to nothing in the late 70s and early 80s. They're making a comeback now but it'll never be the same.
Blake

Tim L

Any one ever hear this one ? "HOW MANY(fill in the blank)GUNS DO YOU NEED ? " My response is "but honey they all have different uses".The phrase too many guns is like saying a man's garage is to big or his tractor is too powerful ! No such thing !
Do the best you can and don't look back

Radar67

My reply to that question, "How many times do you need to go shopping in a month?" That usually stops the conversation.  ;)

Dave Shepard

You've just got to use the J.P. Getty line. An interviewer asked how many dollars was enough. "Just one more". :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tim L

Do the best you can and don't look back

beenthere

Was it on here where I read that someones wife was asking that same question after he said that he wanted a new gun...

"How many guns do you need?"

And he responded:

"I don't NEED a wife either, but I want one."

;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sawyerfortyish

My wife doesn't know one gun from another and luckily she hasn't taken count otherwise I'd be in hot water. More than once ;)

metalspinner

QuoteMy wife doesn't know one gun from another

Don't count on it.

Quoteand luckily she hasn't taken count

Don't count on it.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

semologger

I have an old single shot dont know the brand. i got when i was 15 its 16 years old know and still shots fine. I cant afford an deer gun right know but the old 12 gauge still does good I got a deer last year my daughter got one last weekend with it. It will be used again next week with me hopefully getting another. Heck if it aint broke dont fix it. My brother in law has around 30 guns prob. One is a benelli 12 gauge and it is a very nice gun. It doesnt kick like a mule like mine and it has a fast reload time.

urbanlumberinc

I've had one for almost 2 years now, and have probably put 1000 or shells through it.  Let me say emphatically, I LOVE THIS SHOTGUN.  I own no less than 9 shotguns, and the other 8 gather dust.  I had been shooting a Bennelli SBE II and had nothing but problems with it, jams, misfeeds, ejector probs etc...  I stepped up to the A391 Extrema II with aqua and kickoff, and I'll never again handle another piece of Benelli garbage.  I hunt waterfowl 30+ days a year, turkey another 5, Blue Grouse and other assorted small game probably  7 days, and other odd trips and target practice in between, the one gun that always comes out of the safe is the Beretta.  If you decide to get one, and you're serious about waterfowling or turkey hunting, be sure to pick up a patternmaster choke.  Best 100 bucks you'll ever spend.  Get the black one for 3.5" shells.  My go to load for Waterfowl is Kent Fasteel 2n3/4 #1, the pattern is about the size of a grapefruit at 30 yards, basketball at 50.  Crushes the geese.
Hope that helps.
Happy hunting

Radar67

That's just buttering the bread. I'm still hinting around to the wife, but she just keeps grinning and walking away.  ::)

Thank You Sponsors!