Sponsors:

Timberking 1600

Started by Bruno of NH, April 30, 2016, 02:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Anyone sawing with one ?
Would like too hear your thoughts ,
Thanks Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

vfauto

I had a 1600 and I just upgraded to a 2000.Great saws. The only thing I could say is they need to update their web site but other than that they are a great company.
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

Doug Wis

I have had one for several years now. Good saw. I chose it over WM because its all hyd, and it sit outside most of the time, thought the elect stuff might cause problems being outside. They need modifications to work well , mainly a remote throttle control. if I remember right VFauto added one too and posted pictures of it. I did mine similarly, using a 12v linear actuator. Also we replaced the lever that raises the log stops with one off an old field cultivator . It is longer giving more leverage, plus it can be moved with one hand. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. buy as much hydraulics as you can afford.
A man who says he can do everything at 65 that he did at 25 sure wasn't doing much at 25.

dean herring

Had one since Oct. I love it. I cut a 24" hickory a couple weeks ago to make some mantels. Would not have wanted to turn it by hand. The chain log turner is a must. Cut right thru the middle with plenty room to spare.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

tacks Y

I bought a used one last winter, have not used it much but have a pile of logs in front of it. I put it in my shop when I brought it home and went over it. If I was to build a mill I would copy most of it. I think they should make the lift arms rotate farther so the log will roll onto the mill. I like the arms on the WM welded together. The pins on the loader are all 2" to long. The stainless on the bed the way they cut it leaves room for sawdust and chips under it, poor design. I do like all the hydraulics, wish it had toe boards. Called and asked about the trailer wiring because it did not make sense, they could not help. Just figured it out, should be Gr rt turn, Yl left, Br running lights, not sure how they had the others but not with TK. This being said I bought a 3 year old mill with 400hrs at a fair price. Most of the WM mill I looked at were 8-10 years older and close to the money, hold value better? Or over priced? Good luck     

dean herring

I guess if I would change anything it would be the log stops. The stops move laterly instead of vertically and can be a pain getting down to squared can't. I would like to replace mine with vertical stops and will soon as I can find some. But for now I use the chain turner to ease it away from the stops, this works really well. But always looking to improve.

DDW_OR

Quote from: tacks Y on May 01, 2016, 08:57:45 AM
....I think they should make the lift arms rotate farther so the log will roll onto the mill. ..... 

I will be doing this modification
add a short section of pipe to the two pins. the pin should be inside the pipe.
this will add lift to the loader arms.

the pins where not installed in this old photo
"let the machines do the work"

reswire

Quote from: Doug Wis on April 30, 2016, 10:51:06 PM
   I have had one for several years now. Good saw. I chose it over WM because its all hyd, and it sit outside most of the time, thought the elect stuff might cause problems being outside. They need modifications to work well , mainly a remote throttle control. if I remember right VFauto added one too and posted pictures of it. I did mine similarly, using a 12v linear actuator. Also we replaced the lever that raises the log stops with one off an old field cultivator . It is longer giving more leverage, plus it can be moved with one hand. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. buy as much hydraulics as you can afford.

My first mill was a chainsaw mill, second a TK 1600, and third mill a Woodmizer LT40.  Liked them all!  The TK had one problem that drove me crazy, and that was the log stops.  Tried all kinds of ways to keep them square to the deck, but couldn't seem to keep them aligned properly.  I welded hand operated log stops beside the mechanical ones (moved up and down manually), and that was a big help.  The people at TK were good to work with, but I went with the orange mill and have been very happy with it.  All mills will have their strengths and weaknesses, I would advise anyone looking for a mill to visit someone with the mill you are looking at, and watch the mill in action for an 8 hour day.  Nothing like "seeing is believing" to make a man satisfied....
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Will_Johnson

Just a quick note that we are always responsive to customer concerns on mill design. In this case we significantly redesigned the 1600 log stops to address the stated concerns on older 1600s.

dean herring

What redesign was done?

Thank You Sponsors!