iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pictures of Solar Kilns

Started by vfauto, April 22, 2012, 09:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Built in 1994 from modified plans by Gene Wengert, Virginia Tech.

I left it on the farm when we sold out in 2008.  Best I can figure a bit over 30,000 board foot was dried in it.  Two to four loads each year.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

Cody,

How long did it take to dry the post oak?  Was it air dried before you put it in the kiln?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tree Feller

Quote from: WDH on September 05, 2012, 10:07:39 PM
Cody,

How long did it take to dry the post oak?  Was it air dried before you put it in the kiln?

I left it in the kiln all summer since I didn't have anything else to put in there. (too hot to saw in the summers)

I air dried it a couple of weeks before putting it into the kiln. The weather was still cool and rainy so it didn't dry very fast or very much. I only cracked the vents trying to keep the drying rate slow but I didn't monitor the MC via remote leads. I would guess that it was at 8% or lower after 4 weeks or so in the kiln.

I'll be sawing some more Post Oak this fall and I'll make sure I track the drying rate/time after I get it in the kiln.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

fenceman

Here is the solar kiln based on the Wood Mizer solar kiln kit.  Two 24" stainless steel fans, 220v, on a 20' x 20' base....the doors are 19' wide, the lumber chamber is 6' deep, 10' high and 19' wide.  On sticks the design is to allow 3,000' comfortably in the chamber, but I think it holds a little more....
The roof is two layers of 4 mil clear plastic separated by 2" strips of lumber.  I painted my strips black so the gap between the layers will also radiate heat....the idea is that this "air" gap is the roof insulation to prevent heat loss.  This kiln is air tight, apart from the intake vent and the exhaust vent.  One square foot of collector for 10' bd. ft. of lumber determines the size of the building overall.

Den Socling

vfauto

That looks great,what are the chances of getting more details and what the side door is for?
Quote from: fenceman on September 18, 2012, 07:22:22 AM
Here is the solar kiln based on the Wood Mizer solar kiln kit.  Two 24" stainless steel fans, 220v, on a 20' x 20' base....the doors are 19' wide, the lumber chamber is 6' deep, 10' high and 19' wide.  On sticks the design is to allow 3,000' comfortably in the chamber, but I think it holds a little more....
The roof is two layers of 4 mil clear plastic separated by 2" strips of lumber.  I painted my strips black so the gap between the layers will also radiate heat....the idea is that this "air" gap is the roof insulation to prevent heat loss.  This kiln is air tight, apart from the intake vent and the exhaust vent.  One square foot of collector for 10' bd. ft. of lumber determines the size of the building overall.

The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

fenceman

the side door allows me to collect my walnuts after they dry for two days (I'm gonna try that).....seriously, I can go in and take moisture readings without opening the huge doors on the front......just convenient. When mixing 8/4 and 4/4 they dry at different rates...I wouldn't want to remove any of it until it is all ready, and this was in the plan I bought from Wood Mizer 15 years ago.....there is a thermostat on the wall with an override switch.  The fans automatically begin and shut off to conserve energy while maximizing efficient "drying" temperatures, which vary throughout the year (20 degrees above outside temperatures).  I set mine a little higher than that.

vfauto

The door looks like it is in the back part so how do you test moisture.The last picture looks like the inside wall is on a slope???
Quote from: fenceman on September 18, 2012, 07:59:57 PM
the side door allows me to collect my walnuts after they dry for two days (I'm gonna try that).....seriously, I can go in and take moisture readings without opening the huge doors on the front......just convenient. When mixing 8/4 and 4/4 they dry at different rates...I wouldn't want to remove any of it until it is all ready, and this was in the plan I bought from Wood Mizer 15 years ago.....there is a thermostat on the wall with an override switch.  The fans automatically begin and shut off to conserve energy while maximizing efficient "drying" temperatures, which vary throughout the year (20 degrees above outside temperatures).  I set mine a little higher than that.
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

fenceman

we had a feedlot for cattle with 6" thick concrete that was flat, but sloped....no big deal for the lumber...but tries the carpenter's patience a little.....the concrete pad is about 60' deep....so the loader comes into the kiln on the same slope...so loading is not frustrating either.  If I had the option, I would pour the concrete level, but since it was existing I used what I had

geraldhale

Just built a few months ago, it has a 6" thick by 8'x16' concrete slab as a foundation but then a treated 2x8 floor insulated with 3/4 plywood, 2x6 walls, four fans ect, it held and dried 2000 feet of 1x6x14' pine just fine but thats all Ive used it for so far.
lt40 super,Meadows edger,Weinig moulder,24" Rockwell planer, Salem mill,Cornell edger,Pop up end trim, Fulgum chipper, Baker resaw, hazledine pointer, Landen strapping machine, John deere 480B lift, Case W20 wheel loader.

WDH

AWesome!  Nice color, too  ;D.  I want one just like it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

It's pronounced kiln around here.

Can a solar kiln be run without power?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tree Feller

Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 28, 2012, 06:25:31 PM
It's pronounced kiln around here.

Can a solar kiln be run without power?

You need something to power the fan(s) to circulate air through the lumber charge. That power can come from  solar receptacles. It doesn't have to be "on the grid" but the build costs will be higher.

Here's a site where the kiln is totally solar powered.  http://www.solarkilninfo.com/
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

geraldhale

Quote from: WDH on November 27, 2012, 08:48:37 PM
AWesome!  Nice color, too  ;D.  I want one just like it.

;D Thanks but I didnt pick the color for any reason, its was mixed wrong at the store so I got it half off!!! 8)
lt40 super,Meadows edger,Weinig moulder,24" Rockwell planer, Salem mill,Cornell edger,Pop up end trim, Fulgum chipper, Baker resaw, hazledine pointer, Landen strapping machine, John deere 480B lift, Case W20 wheel loader.

OlJarhead

Very interesting thread!  Thanks for sharing...now I have to add one of these to my 'future plans' -- or is that 'dream list'.

::)
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Sawdust Lover

Built this Va tech kiln last summer. Made it 17' wide by 10' deep. Concrete pad and I put a little roof on the door opening side to keep the rain out. So far it works well, I've seen it get up to 120 deg on a 70 deg day. 8)

Compensation

don't have a picture of it finished yet
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

drobertson

Sawdust, and Comp,  nice work fellows,  real nice, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Lnewman

What about a thermostat from a hot water tank?
Stihl 170, 210MS, 290MS, 441MS and Hudson bandsaw

hobo

Aqua-stat should work very well.
Get one with a long capillary tube so the stat part won't need to be in the high humidity. Make sure the relay can handle the load of your blower motor. 

Planman1954

I was taking another look at this thread and realized that I did not post a photo of the inside of my solar kiln. Here is one showing a load of lumber and the little dehumidifier on the top right of the lumber pile:

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

lawnsbylane

These are some really nice kilns but my question is my dad always told me not to let the sun hit lumber and most of the kilns let direct sunlight hit the lumber. So any answer would be great thanks. Lane Simpson

WDH

The sun does not directly shine on the lumber in a solar kiln because there is a black painted heat collector between the clear panels and the wood inside the kiln. 

MattJ

I'll add my pictures here.  I have more details in my thread I started today.

waxhaw wolf

This is my first post on this forum.   I am interested in building two items.   One is a swingblade sawmill and the other is a kiln.   I have  a 45 acre farm in Waxhaw, NC (land really, not much in the way of buildings at this time).   I do want to build barns, sheds, and a cabin.   With all of the mature timber on my land, I would like to take advantage of that.   I currently have a backhoe/loader and a small tractor.   I also bought a Foley Belsaw sawmill but have not installed it yet.   

My question:   what do you all think about using shipping containers for kilns?   Paint it dull black to absorb sunlight.   I also thought it would be a nice feature to build some sort of track system where I could stack lumber on rolling platforms and roll them into the container.   

Here is an interesting website that details how some folks have used shipping containers for kilns:

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Converting_A_Shipping_Container_to_a_Drying_Kiln.html

Thank You Sponsors!