iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beech top dying

Started by mr T, February 21, 2010, 01:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr T

Im located in western mts of Me THe last several years my beech have been dying so far its afected about 25% starts at top &progresses Doesnt seem to be soil related  Any ideas?

chevytaHOE5674

Any noticeable white scale/fuzzy stuff on the bark? Any of the dead trees starting to snap off about half way up the stem?

mr T

No  nothin on bark These are mature trees 12to 16 on stump Its usually top 10 ft that starts

Black_Bear

The dieback in the crown is quite possibly a result of the ice storm of 1998. Southeast and eastern slopes took it the hardest. Beech bark disease could also be affecting the trees ability to heal and grow. BBD is prevalent throughout western ME. 

Is the bark smooth and mostly grayish-blue, or are there black circular wounds all over the tree?   

Twig farmer

Acid Rain kills from the top down....
C5D Twig Farmer, Deutz power, "Mona".
Husky 575.
Husky 372.
F550 4x4 PSD.
Bull Strength and Ignorance.
Live FREE or die.

SwampDonkey

Beech bark disease has killed most every beech top from pole size and up in these parts. Then they produce tons of nuts, so the black bears strip the limbs off in the fall making nests in the tops. It's not really a nest, just a concentration of brush the bears pull in and break off as they sit up there and pig out. :D There are a few rare resistant ones in the diseased stands, but they are few. The far NW of New Brunswick is relatively free of the disease because of colder winters. I am amazed the disease is not as prevalent in the southern range because it's milder there than here. Maybe the beech is more scattered down there. Here is can be a large stand component, but that is fast changing as they die off. Except the regen is whicked thick on firewood cuts, so it's not going away for awhile. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mr T

Thanx for ideas It probably is some sort of disease north slope seems to be more affected O well lots of good firewood

stonebroke

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 22, 2010, 06:50:44 AM
Beech bark disease has killed most every beech top from pole size and up in these parts. Then they produce tons of nuts, so the black bears strip the limbs off in the fall making nests in the tops. It's not really a nest, just a concentration of brush the bears pull in and break off as they sit up there and pig out. :D There are a few rare resistant ones in the diseased stands, but they are few. The far NW of New Brunswick is relatively free of the disease because of colder winters. I am amazed the disease is not as prevalent in the southern range because it's milder there than here. Maybe the beech is more scattered down there. Here is can be a large stand component, but that is fast changing as they die off. Except the regen is whicked thick on firewood cuts, so it's not going away for awhile. :D

Beech doesn't go away, Just the good ones. All it is good for is firewood after the beech bark gets into it

Stonebroke

sdunston

I have seen that the beech I have looks like someone has marked them with orange paint, When I ask a logger about this he told me it is some sort of fungas and that tree is got about 2 years and it will be gone ???
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

stonebroke

Sam ,He is right. You might as well cut it down. There are no good beech left up here in the hills but I have seen a few down on the limestone ground by Carlisle, I think it is the better dirt and easier climate.

Stonebroke

DirtForester

Quote from: Black_Bear on February 21, 2010, 05:39:54 PM
The dieback in the crown is quite possibly a result of the ice storm of 1998. Southeast and eastern slopes took it the hardest. Beech bark disease could also be affecting the trees ability to heal and grow. BBD is prevalent throughout western ME. 

Is the bark smooth and mostly grayish-blue, or are there black circular wounds all over the tree?   
I think this is correct.
If it's a good tree, grow it!
www.smithandwessonforums.com

Thank You Sponsors!