iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Po boy debarker

Started by bandmiller2, November 26, 2010, 08:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimparamedic

Pretty much the same thing just for a thinner blade

Grower

Why could one not use a 12 volt starter motor as a motor to drive a mudsaw? A 12 volt DC motor down here is proving hard to get.
Its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

eastberkshirecustoms

Quote from: Grower on October 01, 2011, 02:30:41 AM
Why could one not use a 12 volt starter motor as a motor to drive a mudsaw? A 12 volt DC motor down here is proving hard to get.
Have you tried ebay? I picked this 1/4 HP, 12 VDC, 1800 RPM motor for $40.

I'm not sure if a starter motor is rated for continuous duty. Also once you remove the bendix and nose, you may have to contend with lack of bearing support on that end of the motor , unless you scavenge an old ford starter or similar. I also think that the rpm would be too slow. I believe the WM debarker runs at 1750 rpm.  -EBC

Grower

Thats a pretty good job you made of things there chief! You mentioned Ebay so I went and had a look, how would this unit go? http://www.amazon.com/Ramsey-Winch-Motor-Bi-Directional-MBJ4407/dp/B003PL9IUO/ref=sr_1_43?ie=UTF8&qid=1317461975&sr=8-43

r.man

The winch motor would be a better choice for the amount of time you would need to debark. I expect speed is less of an issue if it has the hp to bull its way through.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

zopi

Right after "hydraulics" "debarker" is on top of my "get that" list...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

eastberkshirecustoms

Quote from: Grower on October 01, 2011, 05:44:48 AM
Thats a pretty good job you made of things there chief! You mentioned Ebay so I went and had a look, how would this unit go?
I think that's a much better choice than a starter motor! It has a good price, plenty of speed and power.

Thanks for the comment. I just hope it all works! The unit has a smaller gear motor (not seen in the pic) that swings the debarker in/out with a chain driven slip clutch. The head is also spring loaded to float over irregularities in the log. The swing arm articulates to allow for maximum log length to be debarked and then swing out of the way of the band cutting path with the shortest possible arm length. I hope that makes sense...

Oh, and I have just about $200 into the unit, not counting my labor, of course.

rbarshaw

Quote from: Grower on October 01, 2011, 05:44:48 AM
Thats a pretty good job you made of things there chief! You mentioned Ebay so I went and had a look, how would this unit go? http://www.amazon.com/Ramsey-Winch-Motor-Bi-Directional-MBJ4407/dp/B003PL9IUO/ref=sr_1_43?ie=UTF8&qid=1317461975&sr=8-43

I'm using one of those for the head lift on my mill, it has lots of power, make sure you use heavy enough wire to cary the current required.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Grower

I bought these 2 pumps online locally for 30 bananas the pair. The smaller one will run at up to 6000 rpm, the cheapest comparable new one is 600 (for one). They are used on airseeders in the US, Canada and Aussie where I was using one on a New Holland rig with a 60 foot bar in tow. https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1910&pos=0

Thank You Sponsors!