iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

are there any underwater chainsaws available?

Started by motif, September 10, 2010, 01:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motif

I assume it's quite possible to have necessity to cut off some trunk or even a tree under or partially under the water,
so I was wondering if regular chainsaw would do the trick for a moment or water would damage it.

LINKS TO OFFSITE PHOTOS ARE STRICTLY AGAINST FORESTRY FORUM RULES.

JohnG28

You can get the bar and chain in the water if you have to, but I wouldnt submerge the powerhead. Water will get in the engine quickly, and saw will be damaged.  A saw, like any other engine, needs air to operate...no air underwater.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Nate Surveyor

My thoughts are that there is some sort of aparratus for this.... hydraulic or air powered saw, used underwater.

Either my imagination has run wild, or I have seen it...

O here is one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMFm3te4XQU

And, a company that sells them:

http://www.aquaairind.com/Index/Hydraulic/Saws.htm

Got an underwater forest to log?

Can I come too? I could handle that kind of work.

Nate
I know less than I used to.

Randy88

So do the logs fall over or float up as they are cut off, which way do you swim to avoid being hit, there would be a whole new learing curve on that one, is it gonna land on my foot or float up and hit me in the face, its not like you need to worry about the wind gust taking it the wrong way on you.  Is there a big demand to log underwater, I'm not seeing much there to get excited about as far as logs or what they are in the way of, logging it out to make room for new growth or a new housing development?

If the term operting a chainsaw and wearing a wet suit are used in the same sentance by the same individual I think I'd find a differnt line of work, if I ever need to have my head underwater while running a chainsaw I have to think maybe I missed something in the operators manual or my local dealer forgot to tell me something when I bought the chainsaw.   Someone better continue the discussion and explain whats going on here and why.

Jeff

Yes, and there has been for many years. Both Hydraulic and neumatic versions. I almost bought one at an auction up here in the U.P. a couple years aog, 'cept I would not have had gas money to get home.

http://www.cob-industries.com/pneumatics.aspx?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_term=pneumatic%20saws&utm_campaign=Pneumatics&gclid=CIThuI3N_aMCFQgEbAodMFcRHg

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Randy88

Why do they cut the stuff underwater for, to clear lanes for boats to pass, along piers for larger ships, in backwaters for staging bardges, so dredging can be done, what?   I've never seen anything like it before, the underwater work done around here is mainly welding on bridge abutments and shipping docks and to work on or check out the undesides of tub baot hulls, I've met a few guys that do that kind of work and talked to them over the years, it was quite interesting, not real sure about the welding thing myself but they claimed it was safe and paid very well.

motif

Quote from: Jeff on September 10, 2010, 03:38:02 PM
Yes, and there has been for many years. Both Hydraulic and neumatic versions. I almost bought one at an auction up here in the U.P. a couple years aog, 'cept I would not have had gas money to get home.

http://www.cob-industries.com/pneumatics.aspx?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_term=pneumatic%20saws&utm_campaign=Pneumatics&gclid=CIThuI3N_aMCFQgEbAodMFcRHg

nice unit but dragging a long hose behind could be a problem, I thought there are some with kinda gills like device to get air from water.

Jeff

Motif, I'm curious about how old you are and what part of the country (or world) you come from. How about filling out your profile.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

motif

Quote from: Jeff on September 12, 2010, 08:37:57 AM
Motif, I'm curious about how old you are and what part of the country (or world) you come from. How about filling out your profile.  :)

I was born in Eastern Europe then immigrated to New Jersey so no, I'm not from underwater if that what you've thought ;D  (although I have padi scuba diver license) Currently I'm 47 so still teenager although really, numbers don't matter. 8)

Brucer

Quote from: Randy88 on September 10, 2010, 03:29:45 PM
So do the logs fall over or float up as they are cut off, which way do you swim to avoid being hit, there would be a whole new learing curve on that one, is it gonna land on my foot or float up and hit me in the face, its not like you need to worry about the wind gust taking it the wrong way on you.  Is there a big demand to log underwater, I'm not seeing much there to get excited about as far as logs or what they are in the way of, logging it out to make room for new growth or a new housing development?

The Columbia river was dammed just north of Castlegar, BC in the late 60's. It flooded a long and heavily forested valley which they didn't bother to log first.

About 30 years ago a couple of enterprising young guys started an underwater logging business. It involved a barge with a crane and an underwater saw -- attach the crane to a tree, cut the tree off, hoist it up to the barge. The trees were waterlogged, but perfectly preserved.

It was a viable business. I don't know where they sold the logs, but there was certainly a demand. The owners eventually tried to sell the business but never did find a buyer. While it was financially successful, the skills needed to run it were a little bit out of the ordinary.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

sawguy21

That was tried in the reservoir near Vanderhoof but nothing seems to have come of it. There is a huge amount of wood in these lakes.
The dredging companies here use Cannon hard tip bars, about the only thing that will stand up in the silt laden salt water. Of course the power heads don't work very long if submerged especially while running. Saws don't get old with those guys.  :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Randy88

thanks guys never heard of it before, I learned something new today.   

Thank You Sponsors!