iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

GA Walnut?

Started by ATLGA, April 07, 2012, 01:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ATLGA

Does anyone local have a steady supply of this rare and magical wood?  ::) 
America First.

MHineman

Are you in Georgia?  The title implies that.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

ATLGA

America First.

MHineman

Plenty of Walnut here in Indiana, but you might not like the price.  Small, unimpressive logs are bringing about $2.00 per bd-ft.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

craigc

Walnut prices are tanking here in Illinois.  We are paying tops of $1.10 and have heard mills in Wisconsin and Iowa are talking about .80 cents for this summer.
Rottne SMV, Timbco with Logmax 9000, JD 540B Grapple.

ATLGA

Is that still in the log or already cut? Thats a big variation between two states.  :P
America First.

craigc

That is in the log.  I'm sure prices are down in Indiana. We are close to the State line
and buy walnut from a logger who sells logs into both states so if there was that large of a difference we would not be getting logs.  The drop has been very fast my veneer buyers says he has never seen them have so much high grade veneer.
Rottne SMV, Timbco with Logmax 9000, JD 540B Grapple.

ATLGA

I just wish there were some folks selling it farther south. I know all the big shops but would like to saw and dry it myself. I did it about two years ago and it was profitable.
America First.

Thank You Sponsors!