iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

RED CEDAR BED FRAME pics

Started by woodweasel, August 21, 2013, 07:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodweasel

Heres my latest project. CEDAR head & footboard using natural edges from 2'' slabs ;D Gonna put it in a High End Shop in Galveston ;D I ran out of the 100% pure tung oil(have 5 more gallons at home) on the boat where I am building it >: :( :( Had a buddybring me some from the depot.
It wasnt 100% & had a shiny finish  :( Didnt like the results so I resanded!
gonna use the 100% when i get home 8) Heres a few pics so far 8)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Not just nice....but REAL nice, WW.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

samandothers

WOW that is pur-d!
Beautiful color.

Bill Gaiche

Nice and interesting. Show us the finished project when you are done. bg

WDH

Nice going WW!  I just bought some 100% tung oil.  It was $63/gallon including shipping.  It will do a nice job on that bed. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodweasel

WDH , 10- 4 on the 63 dollars a gallon! I did a job for a fella part of my pay was that tung oiI got 5 gallons ! He has 3/ 55 gallons of it ,going to get some more this time! I love the stuff 8)

grweldon

Is there anybody who wouldn't be proud to have that for their headboard? Amazingly beautiful!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

woodweasel

Thanks fellows, I hope the rich folks in Galveston Texas like an amazingly well and are amazing  willing to pay dearly for It!! it will be complete with the side boards and slats! All they have to do is drop a mattress on it! Anybody have any ideas what is worth??

wilbur90

That is beautiful. I am terrible at pricing stuff but it looks like it is worth a lot of money. The finish will only add too it. Great work.

woodweasel

Quote from: woodweasel on August 22, 2013, 08:57:19 AM
Thanks fellows, I hope the rich folks in Galveston Texas like an amazingly well and are amazing  willing to pay dearly for It!! it will be complete with the side boards and slats! All they have to do is drop a mattress on it! Anybody have any ideas what is worth??
I,ll Take As Many $$ As They Are Willing To Pay ;D

BradMarks

Absolutely beautiful!  I'm from Western Red Cedar country, that must be Eastern Red??.  At least a couple thousand dollars selling price, maybe a couple more - don't know how fat the wallets are down there! 

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Tim Lea

Looking awsume that will be a nice bed... 8)

drobertson

WW, as said, real nice work man, as to what the price should be, not a clue, if the finish' cost what you guys are talking about, and the joinery is (and looks) sound, you're well up in the upper 100's for sure, but they could bring into the thous, range if there was some carving,, nice work!!   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

jamesamd

Thats very sweet.
Next Pics,please.

Jim

Oh,and cut the tung oil with 50% mineral spirits,for the first two coats.It will penetrate much deeper.

Jim again :D
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

woodweasel

Jim,
  I found that out by trial, It took forever for it to soak in ;D ( actually it never soaked in, I wiped it off & started over with it thinned! )   ;D Daniel

thecfarm

Poston,can get you the price you want. Just like any good car tire salemans can. Have you seen the price of his beams???  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on September 04, 2013, 08:19:11 PM
Poston,can get you the price you want. Just like any good car tire salemans can. Have you seen the price of his beams???  :D

SOLD
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

m wood

WW, don't know your market down there with all those oil-filled Galveston pockets.  Like David said, the finish  and joinery will probably allow you some percentage higher than the other rustic furnishings out there.  lets see it finished, but I'm thinking the high-mid to upper hundreds also.  Do what Poston does, choose your marketing words carefully and you could throw another zero in there! ;D
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

LeeB

Contrary to popular belief, most Texans are not loaded with oil money and Galveston is certainly not an oil town. Lots of tourists though and folks with seaside summer homes, so there is some money around. Price high, You can come down, but you will have a hard time going up.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

m wood

My apologies LeeB, I should have thrown a few  :D :D ;D ;D :D :D in there somewhere else, as it was clearly meant to be in jest  (but I bet there's some oil "cash" flowing through there).  WW, dont listen to my pricing suggestions, I live in one of the lowest income per capita counties in one of the highest taxed states in the country.  I am sure the high-end shop will help you price it at the top end of what's possible.  Are you planning more projects for that consignment market?
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

limbrat

That pretty and since there are more people living in the houston city limits than there are in Louisiana there should be thousands and thousands of able buyers.
It seems to me that most stores sell at 40 to 50%ON not of. You may already know but 40% on 100 is 166 and 50%on is 200. The formula is 100divide60% is 166.66666 or 40%on (there is no divide sigh on this laptop). I dont know why thats just retail math. So if you look at the retail in acouple of simular items in simular stores(chains can get better prices than independents) you can use the formula to guess at there wholesale price. If the average retail is 3000 take 3000x60% is 1800 wholesale at 40%on.
I like independents because if they have been around for a while they are likely tuned into the high end market and have developed a high end clientel. If you go into a store and they are charging 4500 for what other stores in the area are selling for 3000 he is selling at 60%on. Good for him he has earned it. If you sell to him at 2700 he will price it at 6750 and wont sell many pieces. For example i have a store that sells at 60%(not in the houston area) there are three more stores in town that sale my stuff they sell at 40%. The high end store sells more items than the other three stores combined. I could not afford to buy my stuff at one of the 40% stores and most people cant. But he is selling to a group of people that can and will if they like it. I sell to him at 10%of not on more than i do the other stores and he sells the devil out of it.
So i would use the formula price the regional market(if you are comftorable with someome ask what there mark up is) and sell in that range. If you are going to make a piece every new and again and sell to just one store and thats as far as your going to go, get all you can. my.02
ben

Lud

You ought to have a Rate per Hour you charge for your work. 

Times the Hours you put into a piece gives you a starting place.

You can also think in terms of the rarity of the material.  Many times it's not so easy to duplicate so that increases the value.

Another Value Add can be amount of personalization for the customer and/or uniqueness of the design.

Having the client see the process of construction can increase their appreciation of the skill/ difficulty of your work.  Take lots of pictures along the way.  Involve them in decisions where reasonable as it increases their sense of ownership.

It is good when win-win is them being happy to give you a bunch of bucks! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Thank You Sponsors!