iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It looks easier when you watch other people do it.

Started by SW_IOWA_SAWYER, May 15, 2017, 05:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

I love watching sawmill video's all kinds Timberking, Woodmizers, Cooks, Norwood. So when I finally decided on a different mill I went with Norwood as I had special size restrictions that limited my choices. So I bought a HD36 got it together and tried my first log.

Ok not as easy as it looked on the video's I will try it again

Ok this hydraulic control thing is going to take some getting used to, I was used to the Lumbermate 2000 this is a different way of doing it.
But when it does work out I like the results

I think my back will thank me eventually once I master the controls  :D
I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

paul case

At least it was on the same side as your loader. :-\

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bandmiller2

I avoid those short stubby log chunks, I do make exceptions but usually nothing shorter than 8'. Norwood is a good mill and should serve you well. Improvements in log handling pay big dividends. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

There is a leetle bit of a learning curve, but the main this is you didn't let it get away.  Congrats, and yeah, as people are saying, short logs are a total pain. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Percy

Short logs are as miserable as the "too much diameter" ones. You gotter done without damaging the mill or busting a hip... smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Brad_bb

Yes, it takes a little while to realize that it takes just as much time to mill a short log as it does a long one, and you get far less out of a short log.  Beggars can't always be choosers though.  Mill what ya got, but mill the longer ones first if you want to maximize your output.  I mill 6 foot logs a lot, but I'm only cutting a flat on 2 sides to make a timber, so they are actually quick.  I'm getting pretty good (fast) with those.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

paul case

Quote from: WDH on May 15, 2017, 08:23:54 PM
I hates short logs.

If I am not President of that club, I am at least an officer.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

sandsawmill14

i dont know if i hate short logs or not  ???  i never tried one under 8' ;D at least not that i remember ::) i have burned alot of them though :)
and as paul said at least your log was on the loader side of the mill when i was learning the timberking the log always went on the back side of the mill  and on the s&w mill it would come off the front side of the mill but we use a log deck on it so it goes in between the log deck and mill right in the dust conveyor ::) but you will get it figured out and that will stop in a few days :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Joed

Like MM said, by the hour. I make one jig for one perticular short log, never seems to work with the next one.
Valley Big Green Monster

WV Sawmiller

I have posted before how I used to hate short logs (just like I hated edging) but I have mellowed with time and experience. I salvage a lot of 5-6 foot logs on my place. We all use boards that length plus some make nice live edge benches. I agree you need to charge hourly for short logs as you do not get the production out of them. Like Brad said - it takes just as long to saw short logs as long ones. Loading a log under 5' is harder for me as it is shorter than my loading arm width in addition to the extra clamping issues/difficulties.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

I had the short log thing down pretty well on the LM2000 so far I have struggled some on the new mill. I had a lady whose Mom had died and they had to cut her favorite tree down so she wanted the tree made into lumber. I talked to her on the phone and she said the logs (key word ) were all at least 4' long and good size diameter. They dropped it off while I was out and when I got home I had a pile of firewood. True there were many that were 4' long and twisted like a corkscrew. I called her back and said it wasn't doable but I could tell it meant something to her so i said i would try. I did manage to cut about 10 or 11 up and it turned out ok. I managed to hit a log dog and ruin a blade but that was my fault I was busy watching were I had been and not were I was going.

I need to get all the bugs worked out of this before I cut my walnut logs I guess I had more then I thought I did so I better get this thing figured out so i can clean up the piles.

I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

Thank You Sponsors!