iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boxing Fans?

Started by Larry, May 06, 2007, 07:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Anybody watch the fight last night?  I thought De La Hoya really sparked the fight...and also thought the decision was fair with Mayweather the winner.  Best match I've seen in many years.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

TexasTimbers

I can't even watch a boxing match anymore since MMA has finally broken into the mainstream.  Took long enough.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Jeff

I sure wanted to see that one. Probably the first real match in years. Had forgot it was happening.  Was it a unanimous decision?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

It was a split decision. One Judge saw it for De La Hoya, 2 Saw it for Mayweather. Pretty uneventful. Two skilled fighters , the younger quicker than the older but lacking with power and can't put 2 punches together.  De la Hoya turned it on the last 10 seconds of each round to try and swing the vote. Very few punches landed by De La Hoya, but he was throwing about 65 a round,  very few punches throw by Mayweather, he was backing up most of the night. The last 10 seconds of the twelveth round was the best part of the fight.  Larry Merchant summed it up best when he was asked if there should be a rematch. He said " Why would you wanta see another one of these fights?"  "There is no reason for a rematch."

sawguy21

I won't watch it. Two street thugs scrapping as a means of staying out of jail is not my idea of sport.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Mooseherder

Dare was only one Thug. Da other is a gentleman.

Tom

I just don't understand the excitement.  We used to have a bunch of Box fans in our old Main Frame Computers and I've watched them for hours on end.  The only thing I ever got was a headache from all of the whining.  Just whine, whine, whine, all night long.  ::)

Furby

Not much difference between either type of box fans being talked about. :)

TravisP

I am with KevJay love the mma not cerrupt like boxing
Learning to saw and loving it

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

TexasTimbers

mixed martial arts. Combines all striking disciplines, grappling, and submission holds into what appears to be a free for all brawl or street fighting and very undisciplined. It's not though. Ya gotta have as much brain as brawn to compete at that level.

In 1980, before we had ever even heard the phrases "Shoot Fighting, Ultimate Fighting Championships, Pride Fighting, MMA" we had a group of about 20 of us right here in little 'ol Fannin County Texas that formed our own "fight club" and were sharing techiniques, and bloody noses and an occassional broken bone before our fearless leader was sent up for a life sentence for being extrememly naughty and nasty toward one of his enemies. We were all scum by association after that so we disbanded.

MMA has few rules (no eye gouging, biting, and they ruled out groin kicks finally) and a win comes only by knockout, submission (tapping out) or if the ref thinks one guy would be tapping out if he were able but has gone into semi-consciousness.

It has lots of critics because it is violent but that what fighting is - violent. Boxing has had deaths. So far MMA has not recorded one because as a general rule the fights are often over quick and those that are not are usually ones that went to the mat for the "chess match".
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Raider Bill

Quote from: kevjay on May 09, 2007, 01:53:21 PM
In 1980, before we had ever even heard the phrases "Shoot Fighting, Ultimate Fighting Championships, Pride Fighting, MMA" we had a group of about 20 of us right here in little 'ol Fannin County Texas that formed our own "fight club" and were sharing techiniques, and bloody noses and an occassional broken bone before our fearless leader was sent up for a life sentence for being extrememly naughty and nasty toward one of his enemies. We were all scum by association after that so we disbanded.
Man do I hate when that happens! smiley_policeman
I'm going to have to look for it. We talking SPIKE TV here?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

isawlogs

::) ::) ::)   Well I'll fess up , I read the header to this and went on with out looking into it , skipped da thing to go look at something else .

I just could not figure out what one was doing putting fans ( something to push air around   )   into boxes   ::) ::) ::)  Or  Why  ::)

:P :P  See , I am getting so good at dis second languange thing .  8) :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Daren

I am a boxing fan (just don't have any current favorites), MMA and K-1. MMA being my favorite now. I still watch old boxing matches I have seen more than once though on EPSN Classics.
I read a boxing book recently that was I was unable to put down once I opened it, I had to read it in one setting. "Mi Vida Loca" The crazy life of Johnny Tapia. I used to love to watch him box, I had no idea what was behind the scenes. Some boxing fans may know who he is, tough kid from the streets of Albuquerque New Mexico. This dude was messed up. He was a defending champion and doing televised fights...but was bare knuckle fighting in the back of bars for cash because of his habit, he would blow the purse on the pro fights before he could book another.
A tragic story (with a happy ending) that is gut wrenching to read most of the time, other times just unbelievable but true.
Here is an excerpt from the book (if it needs to be removed by the moderators for any reason, too graphic/copy write. I understand, but is the kinda stuff that made this book so sad. The guy was a defending world champ at the time)
" I died two more times that year. Once I met up with an ice pick in my head. Once more they found me dumped in front of St. Joseph's Hospital. DOA. Overdose"
The line dumped DOA is in the book several times, he had the front step of that hospital wore slick from getting dumped off dead. What a nightmare life.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Thank You Sponsors!