iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Resawing 4/4 walnut.

Started by firefighter ontheside, May 09, 2018, 09:55:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

I had someone contact me about covering a 9x12 wall with walnut.  It made me think about resawing 4/4 down to whatever it would be to double the use of the boards.  Of course she would have to pay me for doing the work of resawing.  I would probably need to invent something to allow the operation without sawing into side stops.  I'm also concerned about the wood cupping badly.  Anybody do this?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

PC-Urban-Sawyer

ff, an Arky Resaw Jig could be configured to do this job...

firefighter ontheside

Thanks , I'll check it out.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

scsmith42

We resaw all the time with a dedicated horizontal resaw using Laguna Resaw King carbide tipped bands.  It works well and the band kerf is only .035.  The Resaw Kings - once resharpened and reset by Laguna - are the best that I've ever used.  Kerf marks are almost indistinguishable (.010 or less).

Typically we're starting with 5/4 thick stock though.  After drying we will skip plane it to around 1-1/16", then straight line rip and rip to width.  We then run it through the resaw to procude 1/2" thick boards.

Your biggest challenge is to be sure that the lumber has a very consistent MC% from core to shell.  If it's off by 1% or more the boards will cup or bow coming off of the resaw.  Also, using a normal band mill is not very precise and the kerr is thick.  You're probably going to net out around 3/8".

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

firefighter ontheside

Thanks for the info.  I'm definitely concerned about cupping and the kerf.  I have a 17" bandsaw, but I'd be hard pressed to run 8" boards thru it.  She wants the boards to be roughsawn, so the mill would be fine as far as that goes.  I think I'm just gonna not offer that option.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

You may be wise.  Sometimes what they want is not what they wanted when they get it.  I would prefer to decline rather than to risk having a dissatisfied customer. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

You're probably right.  She wants to cover a large wall in rough sawn walnut.  I told her $750 would about do it.  It was my idea to resaw, but I never mentioned it to her.  I can't think of a worse way to use this beautiful walnut anyway.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

Rough sawn sounds "romantic" but the fact is rough sawn collects dust, lint, and whatever else and is very difficult if not impossible to clean.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

bwstout

Yep have some beams in our home hated them have to use a leaf blower to get the dust off. Then wife is made looks like a Texas dust storm blew in :D
home built mill

Magicman

Oddly, hewn timbers are slicker and are not as difficult to keep clean.

A brush on the vacuum takes care of them.

YellowHammer

We get lots of request for rough sawn and resawn roughsawn. Then they want it to be cheaper because it hasn't been planed, until I tell them it has to have at least one flat side, so it's got to at least go through a planer once.  
Typically, most people are pleased with a lightly sanded roughsawn or a "burnished" rough sawn that has some of the sharp edges taken off.

Sometimes I just point the customers to stack of roughsawn kiln dried and they take one look and make some comment that they thought it would look better than that. ::)

Hand hewn is a whole different animal, as Magic says, I even bought a good broadaxe and hand hew occasional beams and mantels when I'm bored.  Then I leave them in the sun and rain for a bit in the customer's eyeshot (I stack them by the Porta Potti) and before long they are sold.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

Flap sanded rough sawn looks very nice.

But then it isn't "rough sawn".  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!