iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

red oaks growing

Started by troys, September 26, 2009, 10:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troys

In 2002 I planted 2500 red oak seedlings @6'x10' spacing for future logging. Over 90% of the tree survived & are now 2'' in caliper and 15 to 20 feet tall.  All the trees look good except for about 100 that have been buck rubbed.  Do I need to go back into the field and thin the trees or will it be ok to let them all continue growing.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forum.

Where are you located?

Sounds like you are getting good growth on the red oak.

Which red oak are they? Northern red oak or another ?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fishpharmer

Welcome to the forum Troys.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Welcome to FF Troys.  Sounds like very good height growth.  Thinning schedules depend upon the growth rate and the trees naturally pruning.  Thinning too quickly allows the trees to "limb out" which isn't good.  Too late and you loose growth because of overcrowding.  7 years seems early for thinning.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Keep the live crown ratio (the live crown length divided by the total height of the tree) at least 40%.  Leaves grow wood, so if they get too crowded and the live crown becomes too reduced, growth will suffer. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

troys

The trees are northern red oak , located in southern Michigan. the tree have been trimed twice once winter of 2004 and again winter of 2008. I fertilized the field in the spring of 2007 according to soil sample, and apply round-up for weed control once or twice per season.

SwampDonkey

With the spacing you used, I wouldn't thin until they reach about 40 feet assuming you have no in growth of competitive trees. If you get aspen in growth I wouldn't worry too much unless they look like they will whip/rub the oak tops.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!