iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple I Sawed Saturday

Started by EZ, November 21, 2004, 04:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

I sawed up a 36" Maple Saturday for a guy, it had a lot of ants and it was spalted.  Nice stuff came out of it though!

EZ

WV_hillbilly

How big of a log are you going to try on you mill EZ ?  I thought the big walnut was a test .  that was quite a feat to get that on the mill  by parbuckling  wasn't it . I'm impressed .  
Hillbilly

Fla._Deadheader

What's wit da funny lookin outfit ???

I'm sittin here with shorts and no shirt or shoes, and the winders open ???  ;D :D :D :D

That's quite a log ya done up. Good show.  ;) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

EZ

WV_hillbilly,
Sometimes it's a slow process of loading a big log on there but it's worth it, cause thats where the money is at!

Fla_Deadheader,
It gets real chilly in the mornings, but I'm thinkin maybe I like snow flurries a little better than them hurricanes!  ;D
Are you still looking for some dogwood pieces?

Fla._Deadheader

Yeah. Some small ones. I use them to make tuning pegs for the Banjos. About 1½" X 3" X 3/4" thick.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

EZ

I'll see what I can do fer ya. Made a cant hook handle out of one, the thing weighs about 100 lbs, well at the end of the day it does. ;D
EZ

hillbilly

Thats a heck of a log you have on there EZ  :o) how many ft did you get out of that thing ?
                       hillbilly

EZ

About 640 BF. After we sawed that one we went over to his other place where he had 16 more logs. ;D When we pulled in the driveway there they were and the biggest was 12 inch in dia. :( ::). Took 2 hrs to saw the big mable and 6 hrs to saw them small ones which the total BF was 860.  :D :D
EZ

Percy

QuoteI sawed up a 36" Maple Saturday for a guy, it had a lot of ants and it was spalted.  Nice stuff came out of it though!

EZ
Holy Hernia EZ!! :D :D
Thats a biggun ya!! If that cable ever snapped, the guy with the camera would be hi steppin outta there elquicko ;D ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

EZ

I make sure the cable is always in good shape. The winch came with 1/4 inch cable and I just didnt think it was heavy enough so I bought a spool of 1/2 stainless. I was so involved with loading the log, I didnt even know the guy( my wife) ;D was back there taking pictures. I guess I'm going to have to pay attention a little more on who's where. ;)
EZ

Norm

Thanks for the pictures EZ (and Mrs. EZ) nothing I enjoy more than watching a sawmill in action.

Percy

JUst givin you  a hard time EZ. She's well outta the way.  ;D I had a chance to cut some Maple that grew on main street here in Terrace and it was soooooo heavy. Heaver than Birch. It cut very nice though and fast too.  I wish most soft woods cut that fast ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

T_in_SC

Great pics, EZ.  Tell Mrs EZ to keep up the good work. :)  Looks like that winch is doing the job.

Grawulf

EZ,
 How is your winch attached to your mill? Is is removable? Do you wrap the cable around the log so it rolls as you bring it up the ramps or do you just hog-tie it and slide it up :D Is it set up with a hook to bite into the log like a cant hook or just a chain hook to hook into the cable? So many question.......so much sawdust to make. Thanks!

EZ

The winch itself I can remove it with pulling a pin. The post and winch swings down the side of the frame after I load a log. When I want to load another log, I swing it up and it locks in place. Pretty simple if ya seen it. One of these days I'll post some pictures of how it works.
The cable goes over top the log and under it back to the frame.
EZ

Thank You Sponsors!