iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just got my Cook's Band Roller!

Started by chevymetal, December 01, 2004, 02:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chevymetal

Yesterday I received my Cook's Band Roller and all I can say is Yeehaw!  8)
I wasn't up to paying the $795 for this thing but I can see it was worth every penny after using it the first time.  
I have all kinds of old and fairly new blades thrown in a corner of my barn rusting away because I got fed up with trying to get them to cut straight.
After talking with Tim Cook, he convinced me to try this thing...best money I have spent for my operation hands down!
I can take any blade that is either diving in the cut or rising in the cut and roll it through this thing and it will cut .  ;D
I rolled my Woodmizer & Simonds blades and it sure made a difference.
Is anybody else using one of these?

2003 Cook's Accu-trac AC-36
51hp Perkins Diesel
Cuttin' for a Livin'

ronwood

chevymetal,

Would you use the Band Roller on mills like my woodmizer if it has v-belts instead of steel wheels?

Thanks
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

VA-Sawyer

Would someone please post a picture of a Band Roller.
Thank You,
VA-Sawyer

chevymetal

Ron,

It doesn't matter the type of wheel that you run.  Your not trying to make the band shape to the wheel, but rather you are simply making the body of the blade flat in the cutting area between the guides.  This is how Tim Cook described it to me:
The facts are this:  a blade that is flat will cut straight away even through the knots, but a blade with too much dish on the top side will rise in the cut especially at the knots, and a blade dished on the bottom side will dive in the cut especially at the knots.
The band roller will take these rising and diving blades and make them cut straight by flattening the body.
I hope that helps.  

VA-Sawyer,
I looked on their site, but I don't think they have this listed yet.  I'll see if I can pull my digital camera out and take a picture unless someone else has one.  It's nothing overly fancy, but the function of it you will like.
2003 Cook's Accu-trac AC-36
51hp Perkins Diesel
Cuttin' for a Livin'

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Furby

ronwood

What do we do if we don't have a catalog???  :D :D :D :D

chevymetal

Thanks for the response. How hard do you think it would be to make one?

Ron

Kirk_Allen

OK, Im in the dark on this one and thats OK, Been there done that :o

How much of the blade is getting rolled?  Is it just the part below the set of the teeth or the whole blade and then you re-set after rolling?

Pics would be nice ;D

I have both WM and Simmonds blades and have never had a problem with rising or diving in the cut other than the times it got dull and needed re-sharpend and re-set.  After doing that all was good.

slowzuki

Just the body gets rolled.
Think of a tape measure being wrapped around your pullies. If the cup side of the tape is against the bandwheels it will rise in the cut.

QuoteOK, Im in the dark on this one and thats OK, Been there done that :o

How much of the blade is getting rolled?  Is it just the part below the set of the teeth or the whole blade and then you re-set after rolling?

Pics would be nice ;D

I have both WM and Simmonds blades and have never had a problem with rising or diving in the cut other than the times it got dull and needed re-sharpend and re-set.  After doing that all was good.

Brad_S.

Thank you Kirk. I didn't want to be the first to say that I've never had a problem and make myself look ignorant. :D

I buy my blades and sharpening supplies from Cook and saw that in the newsletter. Didn't make sense to me then and still doesn't but if it works for others, what do I know? :D ???
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Larry

When ya buy bands from Cooks they want to know what kind of mill you have.  They really don't care about the brand they want to know what rotation you are running so they can send out the band with the right curvature in it.

Don't know if I buy into the whole idea but sure would like to try that roller sometime just to see what it will do.  I'm pretty much of the opinion at least in grade hardwoods you want a flat cut or even one that rises a little so it will balance any cup that occurs as the board is kiln dried.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Furby

Ronwood,
Just ask for their catalog/newsletter! ;)

FeltzE

Have you measured the amount of curvature in the blade befor and after rolling? I have never noticed any curvature of my  blades run on a wm with v-belts on the wheels. I may check today though as we will be sawing and sharpening.

I've been to cooks manufacturing, have their sharpener (works well) saw their roller first hand, last feb, and didn't pay it any mind.

Eric

ronwood

Furby

Sent in a request for their catalog about a week ago. They had to print some more.

Ron

Furby

;D ;)
Yeah I guess it's hard to wait though isn't it?
I'd post a pic if I had one, but I don't, sorry.

gmmills

Sorry guys. I got pics , just have to get them downloaded from the camera so I can figure out how to post them.Been out of town for a week and couldn't get it done. Just got home and need some sleep so I"ll try to get them posted later this evening.

Gary
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

VA-Sawyer

gmmills

Sawing since 1995

gmmills

Sawing since 1995

gmmills

Here are some larger pics of the roller.

I think i got this picture thing down. 8) 8) 8)

Sawing since 1995

Thank You Sponsors!