iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Digger Pine (Grey Pine)

Started by Left Coast Chris, December 17, 2006, 11:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left Coast Chris

While driving a local road I noticed a tree crew removing a large Digger Pine (Grey Pine).  The owner wanted to get rid of the butt log so I brought it home.  It is 42" Dia on the large end and 36" Dia on the small end X 9'6" long.   They are often leaners but this log has the heart center very close to center so Im hoping it will dry o.k..     Locally the primary use for digger pine is rail road ties and  trailer decking.    I did find an ex-logger that says his barn had it for framing and its been standing for 70 years.  Here is the log (not bad):

I am intending on using it for the framing for a hay storage building.  Anyone had any experience with Digger Pine and how did it dry/nail/last? :P
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

4woody

keep it in the dark an put a fan on it it will dry quick i cut one like that about six mouths ago i made 2by6 out of mine i wood cut it 2by7 so you can fix the bow when it is dry

Left Coast Chris

Thanks woody,   I think it will come off the mill straight enough and if I put enough weight on it it should initially dry straight especially because its winter time and it will do a little initial drying before the heat hits.  The concern is the following winter when the moisture goes up again.  A friend that sawed some said it had a memory and when it was dried and loosely stacked it bowed and twisted on him after the next winter.  He lost the whole stack.  Im hoping his was limb wood or had the heart center way off center.  Hopefully these logs will do better since the heart is in the center. ???
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

4woody

I DITEN HAVE A PROBLEM WITH CUTTING IT BUT I DID HALF TO CUT THE BOW OFF TEN OF THE 2/6S AN THE TREE WAS STRAIGHT THAT IS WHY I SAID IF I NEEDED 2/6S I WOUD MAKE THEM 2/7 IT WAS A BIG ONE I GOT 29 2/6 OUT OF ONE 8FT LOG SKIL SAW AN CHAK LINE AN NO PROBLEM OH AN MILLED  WITH CHAINSAW GOOD LUCK AN HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Thank You Sponsors!