iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log arch build finally complete Video added )

Started by 21incher, March 27, 2014, 03:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busy Beaver Lumber

That is one heck of a fancy log arch. Mrs. Beaver says I need one like that to save what is left of my back. When you build the 36 inch one I call dibs on the 24 inch one when it goes up for sale. Will even go out and buy john deere tractor to match it.

If God would have contacted 21incher and instructed him to build an ark, the animals would have sailed to safety in a top notch pimped out ocean liner instead of a rather unattractive, single colored wood dingy :D
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

21incher

Quote from: Busy Beaver Lumber on October 27, 2014, 06:53:32 PM
That is one heck of a fancy log arch. Mrs. Beaver says I need one like that to save what is left of my back. When you build the 36 inch one I call dibs on the 24 inch one when it goes up for sale. Will even go out and buy john deere tractor to match it.

If God would have contacted 21incher and instructed him to build an ark, the animals would have sailed to safety in a top notch pimped out ocean liner instead of a rather unattractive, single colored wood dingy :D

Thanks Busy Beaver.  It is nice not having to struggle with cranks and chains. I realized today I have to automate the front lift arms so I don't have to bend over and turn them in. Then I will be able to remain in the tractor seat during the lift. If anything should happen to me I am sure my wife would sell it to you for the $100.00 I told her it cost. I think the 36 inch one is going on the backburner as I want to build a small CNC router next.

Quote from: woodworker9 on October 27, 2014, 06:33:44 PM
Truly a great fabrication job.  It sure seems to work great.  Very nice job all the way around.
Thanks woodworker9. It was a fun design and build project. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Magicman

I am in awe my Friend.  Congrats on a very innovative and successful build.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mad murdock

Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Bill Gaiche

Thats one nice build. You should be proud to have the knowledge to build a master piece. bg

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: 21incher on October 27, 2014, 07:16:40 PM

<<Snip>>

Thanks Busy Beaver.  It is nice not having to struggle with cranks and chains. I realized today I have to automate the front lift arms so I don't have to bend over and turn them in. Then I will be able to remain in the tractor seat during the lift.
<<snip>>

Hind sight is 20/20... :-\  What if the front lift was just like the rear lift?  Drop it on the log, hits the release bars so it closes and you lift.  No muss, no fuss.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

That's about a fancy arch as one could ever find.

Well done.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

21incher

Thanks everyone :)

Quote from: ljohnsaw on October 27, 2014, 11:20:25 PM
Quote from: 21incher on October 27, 2014, 07:16:40 PM

<<Snip>>

Thanks Busy Beaver.  It is nice not having to struggle with cranks and chains. I realized today I have to automate the front lift arms so I don't have to bend over and turn them in. Then I will be able to remain in the tractor seat during the lift.
<<snip>>

Hind sight is 20/20... :-\  What if the front lift was just like the rear lift?  Drop it on the log, hits the release bars so it closes and you lift.  No muss, no fuss.

Originally I bought 2 torsion springs and was going to have a lever that tripped them when the front lift hit the ground, but when I mocked it up  it seemed dangerous as the arms swung in quite violently so I changed it and now realize I should have put more thought into the solution. Luckily it still functions great with a little bending and I have a couple of ideas to try this winter. My sketches for a 36" one are exactly as you describe with 2 claws for the lift, but that one will weigh close to 1000 lbs. empty and have mechanical locks on the claws.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Wisconsintimber

21incher

Well put it to work today. Some paint is missing and it is covered with mud but it easily got the job done. Have to drag out the mill and get busy milling some ash into paneling, and walnut for a dining room table. Wound up using the Kubota to pull it because it is lighter and does not sink into the mud like the Deere :)

justallan1

Great job. I can sure appreciate the idea of minimal physical involvement on the operators part. Can you grab one end of a log with it to drag it to an open area if it's in a tight spot and then pick it up?

Haggis

Wow extremely cool build. I am thinking I will need one of these types of devices but definitely don't have the shop to manufacture one of these. Not sure what to do.

beenthere

Sponsor LogRite makes some models that do the job of transporting logs very well... just sayin.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

21incher

Quote from: justallan1 on April 30, 2015, 11:14:36 AM
Great job. I can sure appreciate the idea of minimal physical involvement on the operators part. Can you grab one end of a log with it to drag it to an open area if it's in a tight spot and then pick it up?
I had to do just that with 1 of the logs where the wheels would not fit between a couple of stumps, but I didn't want to pull on the claw so I lifted the end of the log with the claw, then wrapped a chain around it and hooked the chain into the anchor slots. I then let the claw down to tighten the chain around the log and pulled it forward with no problem and then was able to load the log normally after dropping it back on the ground. So it looks like it will be able to skid long logs also in a pinch. :)

Kbeitz

Quote from: 21incher on August 23, 2014, 11:42:15 AM
I would like to add a warning to anyone using one of the low cost Chinese winches on anything. Add a disconnect between the battery and control box as they can turn themselves on.
I went out in my shop this morning and found this
The claw laying on the ground
and the winch cable snapped with a dead battery. It seems that the winch turned itself on stuck in the retract position and snapped the cable (which is to light for the winch), Then continued to run until the battery died. No one has been in the shop the past 3 days and that is when it happened. We had some terrible lightening storms during that period and I am wondering if that may have triggered the remote control circuit. I will now be adding a disconnect to the winch control box power wire as I don't trust it any more and a heavier cable. I charged the battery some and the winch remote functioned properly. This proves that you get what you pay for.

That was just the chipmunk playing with the remote...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

My next project to build after my mill will be a log arch.
Being that most of my logs will be coming off a steep hillside I want to make the tongue of the arch
so that it slided in as I brake the tractor. As the tongue slides it will activate brakes on the arch.
It will also have a latch to stop the slide so I can back up with out it brakeing...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

Quote from: Kbeitz on May 13, 2015, 05:52:14 AM
Being that most of my logs will be coming off a steep hillside I want to make the tongue of the arch  so that it slided in as I brake the tractor. As the tongue slides it will activate brakes on the arch.
It will also have a latch to stop the slide so I can back up with out it brakeing...

Surge Brakes, good idea, especially in your type of logging terrain!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

21incher

Quote from: Kbeitz on May 13, 2015, 05:52:14 AM
Being that most of my logs will be coming off a steep hillside I want to make the tongue of the arch
so that it slided in as I brake the tractor. As the tongue slides it will activate brakes on the arch.
I think using stub axles with brake flanges and electric brakes would be the easiest solution. Just get a old brake controller and mount it on the tow vehicle and manually control it. Moving parts and mud can cause problems. I found my biggest problem came going up a muddy hill when the three driving wheels of my tractor lost traction and everything slid backwards out of control close to 100 feet before being able to stop it.
The arch is in the latest issue of Farm Show Magazine that I received yesterday.  :)

Don_Papenburg

Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

bandmiller2

DanG thing is too pretty to use, good work mate. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

21incher mentioned this in another arch thread. I had forgot about the fine job he did.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

Thanks the cfarm. I try to push the idea of how nice it is to have something in the front of a small arch to  fix the front of a log to. I think it makes a big difference to keep the log centered  and be able to maintain the center of gravity on a side hill. Plus it can take some of the stress off a lighter weight frame.  :)

BLink

This looks really handy!
I work with an urban logger from time to time and he needs something like this on a larger scale to load logs onto his trailer.
Have you seen any bigger models like this?
There are a lot of Old Loggers.
There are a lot of Bold Loggers.
But there ain't a lot of Old, Bold Loggers!

Stihl 034, Stihl 009, Husquvarna 3120, 540 Allis Chalmers Loader, International T1340 Crawler Drott 4in1 Loader, JCB 1400B, Cat IT14F

21incher

Quote from: BLink on November 13, 2017, 04:57:48 PM
This looks really handy!
I work with an urban logger from time to time and he needs something like this on a larger scale to load logs onto his trailer.
Have you seen any bigger models like this?
You will have to design and build it for something similar. Check out logrite, they have some nice arches. Here is a more recent video.
https://youtu.be/VK4rDL4w5xU

Thank You Sponsors!