iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ever have these discussions with your customer?

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, February 16, 2015, 01:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

THUNDER BEAST

terrifictimbersllc

Listen to your customers!  $400 is better than $300!  :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Lumber Grader

Can you give more info. Are you saying your your customer is blind, a thief or can not count????

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 16, 2015, 02:45:52 PM
Listen to your customers!  $400 is better than $300!  :D
Customer on the left, Goat on the right.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

drobertson

Not quite like that, but a few times when sawing longer stock and the chain saw comes out to saw off wane, and a 16' becomes a 10' then there is a discussion.  I've never under stood what's so hard to understand sawing a log of any given length only to have it sawed to a dimensional length and be asked to sell for the price of the finish,  I wonder what you guys do in this case,  if you saw a 12' log regardless the wane, do you charge for the best board? or the length of the cut of the log?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

Quote from: drobertson on February 16, 2015, 06:00:48 PM
Not quite like that, but a few times when sawing longer stock and the chain saw comes out to saw off wane, and a 16' becomes a 10' then there is a discussion.  I've never under stood what's so hard to understand sawing a log of any given length only to have it sawed to a dimensional length and be asked to sell for the price of the finish,  I wonder what you guys do in this case,  if you saw a 12' log regardless the wane, do you charge for the best board? or the length of the cut of the log?

say_what
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 16, 2015, 06:14:32 PM
Quote from: drobertson on February 16, 2015, 06:00:48 PM
I always hate that head scratching icon,  so I ask again Peter what do you do?  Is it a dumb question, or are you being smart? just asking

say_what
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

red oaks lumber

the fair way is charge what is usable, not all boards go the full length of the log. i feel its wasteful to slab heavier to avoid the shorts.
where i have a problem is the log owner "scales " his logs before they come to our place for sawing, the amount of wood sawn ends up alot less than what he "scaled" the logs. guess where this goes, yup i'm accused of stealing his lumber. after a very direct and harsh conversation on my part, the truth comes out that he really didn't know how to accuratly scale logs. :( or another time guy brings logs for sawing,the day after they were sawed he stops by to pay for sawing. he leaves comes back the next day to pickup his lumber, comes in the office and starts heming and hawing and finally said he brought in alittle over a 1000 bf more that what i sawed. oh boy i thought here we go again, i pulled out my saw list and went out tho the air dry area and show him his bundles (we always put name on every bundle). my numbers add up perfectly, he stands there and says YOU OWE ME more lumber (oak mind you) 3 hours he stood there arguing , i finally said what do i have to do to make you leave? i want my wood so, i went and got 2 bundles of my oak (960 b.f) loaded his trailer and told him ,heres the wood. i'm not wrong , i pointed my finger in his face and said it again.
2 weeks later he showed back up looking real sheepish, i a brought your lumber back, i had made a mistake. i pointed my finger in his face and said i knew i was right, then shook his hand. he asked me why did you give me lumber if you knew you were right. i smiled and said at that point i just wanted you gone.
iv'e got alot more of those kinda of stories :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: red oaks lumber on February 16, 2015, 07:24:26 PM

2 weeks later he showed back up looking real sheepish

OMG.....Thank goodness I'm off the hook! ;D

JB Griffin

I don't know about that, you could be mistaken for one of those hair sheep. ;D
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Dave Shepard

I made that mistake once. I said to my neighbor "That's a funny looking sheep!" He said "That's because it's a goat! "
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 16, 2015, 08:10:58 PM
I made that mistake once. I said to my neighbor "That's a funny looking sheep!" He said "That's because it's a goat! "

Stuck your hoof in your mouth.  :D

WDH

Poston,

You do look a little sheepish when your ears are back. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on February 16, 2015, 08:14:01 PM
Poston,

You do look a little sheepish when your ears are back.

May the temperature in your kiln get down to 13 tonight.  ;D

WDH

No way.  It is a balmy 118 degrees in there as of 7:15 p.m. tonight.  9/4 maple. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on February 16, 2015, 08:26:02 PM
No way.  It is a balmy 118 degrees in there as of 7:15 p.m. tonight.  9/4 maple.

You must have a POWER BOX AND FAN!

WDH

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Jim_Rogers

This city feller comes into the local deer checking station to have his deer he shot during hunting season checked.
The ranger/game warden asks him: "what you got there?"

He says: "it's one of those rare albino white deers."........

Warden says: "you shot a goat"......

Old saying/story......

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Shotgun

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on February 16, 2015, 09:21:03 PM
This city feller comes into the local deer checking station to have his deer he shot during hunting season checked.
The ranger/game warden asks him: "what you got there?"

He says: "it's one of those rare albino white deers."........

Warden says: "you shot a goat"......

Old saying/story......[and Old Goat...]

Jim Rogers
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Thank You Sponsors!