iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building Advice - 12 Ft W. X 24 Ft. L. Wood Top Cover for Temporary Mill Site

Started by H60 Hawk Pilot, October 07, 2010, 10:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H60 Hawk Pilot

I'm building a Pole Building in April or May of 2011.  I need to build a Shelter Top over my LM 2000 mill.

This is my Idea... I'd like to Build a Light Wt. Cover Top (12 X 24) to hang from three Oak Tree's. Two tree's are spaced at 13 feet on the side that will be Head of the LumberMate 2000 Saw End. The 3rd tree would center Ok at the the End of the LM 2000 mill at 26 Feet away. I don't have the 4th tree at this other end, I could stick in a post if necesary... did not think it would needed, the oaks are 22 inch across and the top should be under 1000 lbs. .

I have a lot of nylon cargo straps and (3) heavy duty Truck Tarps to cover the Frame.  I need to move the mill away when the building is completed, it's too close my home now, will locate at 150 ft. for the elec. hook up.  I'd like to save these (3) oaks and not cut into them, just strap them and remove the straps about 10 months or so from now.

I looked into buying a canopy tops and all that,  they get expensive as the size goes up.  I have all this stuff already and looking for-- Advice on Building the Light Wt. Top that will covered with the Truck Tarps.

I'm in Bonifay, FL ... so snow is Not a Problem; Winds kicking up may be the only concern, maybe 30 or 50 knots in a local storm. I'm 65  miles North of Panama City, FL.

Thank's

Avery
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

DanG

The biggest concern is going to be water, not wind.  You'll need to find a way to keep enough tension on that tarp to keep it from bagging in a heavy rain.  Personally, I'd just tarp the mill when not in use, and yank the tarp off to saw.  As it cools off for the winter, you'll probably enjoy the sunshine. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

H60 Hawk Pilot

Good Point DanG

I'm use to having a roof over my head and still have my Yankee ways.

Tomorrow I'm turning my 6' 2" 15 YO loose with the two chainsaws we got today. Yes, I wil be one step behind him to prevent injury.

He's fired up to try the Solo 681. I hope it puts  a smile on his face. Both saws need 5 hours or so to be broke in per the book.

What do you know about using factory recommended two stroke oils over the generic stuff. I see the mx ratio is 50 to 1 for Solo oil and 25 to 1 for the plain jane stuff.

Take care,

Avery
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

DanG

Give it time, Hawk.  Bonifay, Fla will beat the Yankee out of ya.  If it can't, there just ain't no hope for ya. :D

I know little or nothing about oil, so I just go with what the factory recommends.  I have Echo saws, so I use Echo oil.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Planman1954

Hey Hawk....
I've got the same mill, and the same idea that you do. I plan on building a shed later across the road from my house in a year or so. The EASIEST way is to use the lumbermate factory cover. You can get one from Norwood.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Thank You Sponsors!