iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally got the alt on

Started by mmartone, February 22, 2015, 07:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmartone

My mills been sitting for months, very sad. I started a few weeks ago on the addition of an alternator because the one on the Kawasakinever seemed to put out enough. Talked to my local shop and he suggested a smaller model because there would be less parasitic drag than a larger unit. So I got to work maing the brackets and found there was a considerable range of movement and the alternator would have to more to keep any belt tension. So not it has a custom chain/shackle/spring rig on it and it stays under tension. Still have to secure the wiring and might make a guard for the alt belt. Ran it for a few minutes and its a steady 14V now, dropping to above 12V lifting the saw head.  8) Friend of mine who has had some serious (DR caused)health issues is going to build a small pole barn for his patio/grill area and I told him we would cut it when he had a cut list.

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've never seen anything like it but if it works, here's your dance.  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ga Mtn Man

Nice "outside-the-box" thinking.  Don't forget to put some safety wire in those clevis pins.   No telling what that spring would do if it ended up tangled in the belt  :o.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

mmartone

Yes its interesting, but no room to mount it on the engine or its plate. Yes it needs some safety wire, it was getting dark.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

ncsawyer

Very interesting setup.  My LT40 manual with the Briggs charges from a stator on the engine (like a lawn mower) but the mill does have a factory mounted alternator bracket on the left side of the plate where the engine mounts.  I assume that bracket was for the larger 24 Onan option available at the time.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

mmartone

I dont think this old 86 model with this custom V twin Kawi has any room for an alt over there!

ncsawyer

How many HP are you getting from your V Twin?
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

mmartone

Says 22 on it but I think the newer versions make more.

pineywoods

Looks good mm. I have thought about doing the same thing with mine, also a kawasaki. That engine comes in 3 different hp ratings, 22, 25, and 27. they are all basicly the same, except the 27 has a 2 barrel carb.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jeff

Does that have open windings? Is there anything to be concerned with related to sawdust?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

mmartone

Well its what I came up with and seems to work fine! We sawed a few little pieces tonight and voltage stayed at 14. Its just a regular alternator and its going to get some sawdust in it, we'll see if there is any issue. I want a 2bbl carb for mine  then, where might I find a used one?

Thank You Sponsors!