iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Smells that make me happy

Started by Pete J, March 05, 2007, 03:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete J

I was cutting some stair treads this weekend and realized that I really, really like the smell of Douglas Fir sawdust. After I was done working, I go up to the shower and my wife just put up a new vinyl shower curtain. I love the smell of new vinyl right out of the package.

Here's my current TOP 5 smells. Anyone else?

Douglas Fir sawdust.
Brownies fresh out of the oven.
Pert Shampoo. Don't know why, maybe it's just me.
Low Tide on the New England coastline. That sweet, swampy, dead-fishy smell.
New vinyl. To me it just smells clean.

Burlkraft

Green walnut and exhaust fumes when yer slabbin' it........ ;D ;D ;D

I love the smell of green walnut in da mornin'.... :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

pasbuild

Topping my list today would have to be the smell of spring, gettin real tired of movin dis snow around :(
food cookin is always a good one ;)
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Paschale

I don't think about this very often, but now that you mention, I suppose I can come up with a top five list.

1. The smell right after it rains on a summer day--and the first smell of some flowers in the spring.
2.  The smell on the shore of Lake Superior, with the wind whipping right off the water--nothing's fresher.
3.  The smell of an orange, right after you peel it.
4.  The smell of ash or oak
5.  The smell of pretty much any kind of food.   ;D

PS  Shouldn't you say you love the smell of Logrite Brownies, right out of the oven?   :D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

crtreedude

Pineapple - you see we get these huge trucks stuffed with ripe pineapple. The only issue when you are stuck behind one is that you tend to drool on your steering wheel...  ;)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Ron Wenrich

Rain, especially after its been dry.

A new car.

Freshly turned dirt, in the spring.

Black locust blossoms.

As for sawn lumber, black birch and sassafras.

Freshly mown grass.  (I know that's number 6).
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

scgargoyle

In no particular order-
Babies
Camphor leaves when you mow 'em
Fresh cut wood being made into a boat
Coffee when you first wake up in the morning
Lily of the Valley
I once lost my sense of smell (and taste) for almost 2 years due to an infection. You can't imagine what it was like when it returned!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Tom

For some reason, due to Anesthesia during surgeries, I have lost my smell.  It isn't damaged nerves because, sometimes, I can smell and the sense is overwhelming.  After a 15 or 20 minutes, it goes away again.  Perhaps it's mental, though I can't figure out a reason I would subconsciencly shut it off. 

Anyway, I find myself driving down the road when my nose gets turned on and a county tractor is mowing the right of way.  It's the best smell in the world.  I have to pull over and breath deeply, reveling in it.   Sometimes it is so brilliant that I can't stand much and have to leave.  But, I leave slowly.

If my nose is turned on, I can watch a farmer work his hayfield all afternoon.

sawman

For me, I'd have to say
  freshly turned earth
  cedar sawdust
  fried chicken
  fresh cut grass, ( if i am not the one who cut it)  ;D ;D 
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

onionman

Lets not forget BBQ cooking over some shingle bark hickory

Radar67

The smell of a good camp fire in the cool, early autum morning.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

tcsmpsi

Dark becoming Light in the desert southwest

Baby humans

My Wife

Pinon smoke

Pine growing in the heat of summer
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Engineer

fresh cut grass
black birch, freshly sawn green
onions cooking in butter
dirt
clean sheets

Actually my most vivid recollection of a "smell" was in March 1991, I was in senior year of college here in VT, it was cold and snowy and miserable, and some friends and I decided we were going to Puerto Rico for spring break (one of our classmates and friends was from there).  Anyway - stepped out of the airport into the outside air, it was about 11 pm, has just rained and was about 80 degrees.  The smell was like being in the world's biggest greenhouse.  It was unbelievable, and it stuck with me all that week and for months afterward.  I have never been in a greenhouse that smelled that intensely.  And I love the smell of "greenhouse".

woodbowl

Collard greens cookin'
Boston butt on the grill w/ hickory & oak
Bacon &  eggs in the morning
Pecan leaves burning
Peanut harvest time

I live in the peanut belt. S.W. Ga, S.E. Ala and N.W. Fla. all dig peanuts around the same time and the whole country side smells  ..... hard to explain, not exactly like peanuts, but a combination of fresh plowed dirt and green peanuts.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Troy

I grew up in North Carolina and worked in the tobacco feilds as a kid.  I miss the smell of flu cured tobacco on a cool fall morning...
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

Karl_N.

Cedar- My clothes after cutting x-mas trees and boughs- Woodsmoke in October, I'm sick of it by now- Gasoline, in small doses- Fresh country air- Maine mudflats.

I worked on fishing boats for a while and the first time we were on our way back in after a couple weeks I was taken by surprise by the smell of the ocean, actually as it turns out-the smell of the land.

TexasTimbers

Bacon
Maple syrup on buckwheat flapjacks lathered with butter
More Bacon
More Maple Syrup
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Don P

I hear you Troy, at one time there were 7 miles of tobacco warehouses in Durham. Driving through there when they were full was a good smell.
I was working some heart pine today. That's another smell I really like.

mike_van

Coffee - good old Columbian - burning leaves - BACON frying - most any sawdust [except basswood]   & hay thats ready to bale -  :)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

RSteiner

The smells that are on the top of my list would be;

Diesel smoke in the morning, especially a sunny crisp fall morning.

White pine being sawn on the mill.

The smell of the air after an afternoon ran in the summer.

And I have to agree clean sheets are right up there too.

Randy
Randy

CLL

The smell of a Outback steak. WHOOEEEEE  Slow cooked baby back ribs. Fresh cut alfalfa hay.
Too much work-not enough pay.

ohsoloco

One of my favorites that has alread been mentioned is freshly tilled soil  :)

That special scent in early spring when you first open the house windows.

A calm, bitterly cold night.

The woods right after it rains. 

A campfire. 

WDH

Eastern Red Cedar air drying

The ocean on the outer Banks of North Carolina

Fish frying

The Outback steakhouse right next to the hotel that I am staying in tonight in Mississippi::)

Black Walnut

My least favorite smell............rattlesnake smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sweat_drop

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woody1

I like all the stuff you guys have written....But my best scent is Tova Signature Perfume on my sweety..it'll make your heart pump !!
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

Corley5

U.S. currency $$$$$$   ;) ;D ;D ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!