iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

77 timberjack 230D transfer case not shifting

Started by roadrunner36, June 01, 2014, 05:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadrunner36

I have a timberjack 230D which has been sitting for a few years.  It has a 4 speed transmission and a shifter which allows you to select high and low ranges.  The problem is the shifter seems to be stuck and I am unable to get it to select either range.  Any help in solving this problem would be greatly appreciated

MT logger

bent shift rod could be the problem hard to correct better to replace.

roadrunner36

I will check that out.  There is definitely a slight bend in it.  But I was also wondering is it possible for the transfer case pin to which the rod connects to become seized as the machine has been sitting for a number of years.  And how would a person go about testing or freeing up the pin?

Neilo

The transfer case also has neutral as well as high and low and neutral is required for winching when not moving.

Anyway, if it has a New Process transfer case, it is a modified NP201. The rebuild kits for a NP200 work other than the pto gasket.

There are some part diagrams online for the NP201 to give you an idea of what is inside.

You could open the filler plug and shine a light in to get an idea if it is corroded, and check the oil and see if it has had water in it. Other than that, (assuming machine doesn't move) you can take the input and axle shafts off and turn it with the brake drum. That may free things up.

roadrunner36

the input and pto shafts move freely.  I have disconnected the shifting rod at the transfer case (shifting pin will still not move)

If I remove the input and axle shafts and I am able to spin it, is there any risk of things being out of 'sync' when reconnected?

danabg

It's not just the linkage seized up from sitting around is it?If you have the pin knocked out at the shifting rod,the lever should move back and forth easily.

roadrunner36

shifting linkage moves fine.  The shifting rail on the transfer case appears to be stuck in neutral and will not allow me to select hi or low gears

Neilo

As you say, it is in neutral. You can't get it out of phase by spinning the drum. That happens is you take an output yoke off and put it on the wrong spline.

Maybe the brake is frozen on and is binding the gears?

Neilo

Here is an attempt to upload the parts diagram.

The shifting gear 77 isn't moving so not allowing it to engage in either 83 (high) or 75 (low). Having the input turning smooth is a good thing.

If rotating the brake drum and shaft doesn't help, you would get a view by removing the pto.

Neilo

UN Hooker

Numbers 12 thru 15 look like the rail detent assy. Try removing that, it may be stuck,or rusted and preventing the rail from sliding.

UN
Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

timberlinetree

Some times ours shifts hard/ won't go into low/high/nurtral. When I wiggle the steering leaver it will go in. The previous owner/ operater didn't figure out the wiggle thing since I see where the leaver was broken and repaired. Good luck!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

roadrunner36

Thank you for the suggestions and the exploded view drawing.

I ended up draining the oil out of the transfer case and it had water in it (fluid came out a creamy brown colour)
the lower shaft seems to be moving freely.  I suspect the gears on the upper shaft have seized/corroded and thats preventing it from shifting.

The plan is to pop the PTO off and that should let me see the upper shaft.  I will post an update on what I find.

roadrunner36

just and update

I was able to remove the pto off the transfer case and as nelio suggested the shifting gear had some rust and corrosion that was not allowing it to slide smoothly on the shaft from hi to neutral and from neutral to low.  I was able to slide a bar in to help coax the shifting gear to move a little and poured some lubrication on it to help free it up.  End result is that it seems to be shifting freely now.  Going to fill the case up with some junk oil (over fill it) re-install the pto and drive it around a bit to get everything saturated in oil again.  Drain the transfer case again and add some 90 gear oil and I should be back in buisness.  Here's to hoping all the bearings are ok.

Neilo

That is good news.

Seals and bearings aren't too bad if they are needed. Much better than a shaft or gear issue, anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!