iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winch mounting options?

Started by MilkTruckin, May 02, 2018, 01:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MilkTruckin

I am in the process of fixing up and modifying a car trailer to pickup and haul logs.  Im planning to make and mount a removable arch using rectangular steel tubing and stake pockets and possibly also a rear mounted pickup truck crane.

What im stuck on is what i should do about mounting the winch.  Im torn between permenently attaching a mounting plate to the tongue/deck or welding a hitch receiver tube to the tongue so i dont have to leave the winch out in the elements when not in use. 

Stuart Caruk

I still have the receiver tube on the front of my trailer. Used to think it was a great idea, although I rarely removed the winch from the trailer. Turns out that while I was having breakfast on a trip, someone else decided it was easy to remove as well. I vote for bolting the sucker down, welding the bolts so they have to be cut off, and building a cover for the winch.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

MilkTruckin

So basically I would  want to just get a big enough mounting plate to fit the winch  then use u-bolts to attach it to the 3 tongue beams?  Planning to use smittybilt 9500lb if that matters.

mike_belben

I use reciever tube because i have many things i mount the winch on, but i use a 5/8 nylock nut threaded on pretty far.  It has prevented the hit and run dirtbags for a quick pin pull score when im just on the gas station or bank.  Extended periods it goes in the shed 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!