iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whats this tree?

Started by bitternut, June 06, 2003, 08:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitternut

OK guys what is this tree and why are some blossoms red and some green? Ignore the green tree in the background. Its a white pine.

Tom

I need a hint.  like: Where is it? How big is it? What do the leaves look like.  or something like that.  I don't know where to start.

How about witch hazel or crab apple? ;D

bitternut

Not witch hazel and not crab apple.

I gave you a hint. I showed you the flowers. Okay, I will give you some more clues. The leaves are not out yet, the tree is about 7' tall but is only about 5 years old so it is just a baby. It is located in Western NY and the purple blossoms are about the size of half dollars.

Jeff

I can't see da flowers. :-/
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Bro. Noble

Those blooms look purple in the picture-------without seeing more,  looks a little like paw-paw.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

Every key I've found that would allow me to look for a foreign tree asks for descriptions about leaves and petioles. I've found nothing yet that lets me search for a flower in New York. :P

I've copied the picture and enlarged it in my Photo program but the image falls apart before I can determine much about it.  It appears that the flower is dark red or maroon and tulip shaped but I can't be sure. :)

Jeff

Maybe its one of those tulip trees like we have here. Ornamentals could be anything from anywhere. If its not native or at least been here a couple tree generations I give up.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

bitternut

Noble got it right. I have two Paw-Paw trees that I got from Oikos in Michigan as seedlings. I tried other seedlings before but these two are the only ones I have gotten to survive. They are both doing pretty good but the one pictured is really loaded with blossoms. Actually the blossoms are purple now but they were more of a red to start with. I don't know a lot about these trees but have great hopes on these two teaching me a few things. The trees are only about 10' apart so if they need to cross pollinate they should be close enough. Anyone have any luck growing them?

Bro. Noble

Those things grow naturally along the creeks here.  Some years they don't bear much but you can find the fruit by smelling it when it's ripe.  Used to have a neighbor that made wine from them.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

I've only seen one and it was on the Satilla River in Georgia growing on a high sand bank next to the river swamp. I took pictures of the one fruit it had on it and spent a week trying to find out what is.  I've never seen a bloom.  It' s also called Custard Apple and can be eaten raw. Maybe one day I'll try to find the tree and attempt to root one for my place.  It would be fun to have.

Bud Man

They are a wide spread in Kentucky, come in dozens  of cultivars and the fruit resembles a small banana and is called a poor mans banana. The University of Kentucky has done much research into and promoted the reintroduction under various different cultivars.
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

ohsoloco

Tom, I've seen paw paw for sale in various seed and plant catalogs.  I think Gurney's (sp?) carries it.

Greenman

Paw Paw is also called Indiana banana.  The fruit is one of my favorite things in the world when you can find it ripe.  It has a very tropical flavor and seems like you have to have just the right conditions.  They're either too green or rotten and bug-eaten by the time I get to them.  

They are insect-pollinated, which means when it's a bad year for bugs, it's a bad year for the fruit.  They are pollinated most often by a specific kind of wasp, but I couldn't tell you the name for the life of me right now.  

It's usually one of the target species for my TSI crews, but only when there is a lot of it present, of course.  I usually find it in areas that are on the wetter end of mesic and riparian areas.

If you want to grow it, an area with at least partial shade would be best.

bitternut

The two that I have growing don't get any sun till about noon. They are only about 100' from the south shore of Lake Ontario so they should be able to survive the winters. I tried some others at the farm near the Pa. border but they all died. It gets pretty cold there in the winter usually. The larger one that is about 2" caliper has at least 200 blossoms on it. The other one is about 1-1/2" caliper and has only a couple dozen blossoms.

I think I have figured out why some blossoms are purple and some are green. It appears that they start out green in color and then turn purple as they age. Anyone know if that is true or not? Actually haven't seen any bees or insects of any kind around the blossoms. Maybe I will try pollinating some by hand with a small brush just in case. I have never seen or heard of any wild ones in any of the woods around here. If I get any fruit I guess I will probably have to find some way to keep the raccoons out of them.

Greenman

It sounds like your two are doing very well.  Even a couple dozen blossoms is more than I've ever seen on one tree, let alone 200.  If you have any luck pollinating with the brush, let me know.  I'd definitely be interested in getting more fruit.  I'm just not sure how well a small brush resembles a wasp.  

As for the color of the flowers, that is a completely plausible explanation.  I'd go with it.  If you never see any there, come over here, and I'll point you toward all the paw paw you could ever want.

bitternut

I have a unpdate on my Paw Paw trees. I don't know if the bugs did the pollinating or if it was me with the Q-Tip but I ended up with half a dozen fruit on one tree. Now I guess the challange will be to keep the racoons out of the tree. Almost makes me wish summer would end quick so I can taste one of them. Just kidding about wishing for summer to end. It has a way of ending all too soon all on its own.

bitternut

Here is a picture of a double one.

Tom

I'm anxious for you to try it too.  I never could get ahead of the animals.

Thank You Sponsors!