iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rain

Started by Brian w, December 15, 2018, 12:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeans1

Quote from: mike_belben on December 17, 2018, 11:20:49 AM
Guys running processors can do that with a push of a button.  The bulk of appalachian mountain logging is beat to death cable skidders, dozers and even tractors.  The "bigger" outfits are mostly grapple skidders pulling to a knuckleboom or maybe a shovel loader.  Tops stay in the bush.  Very few harvesters around compared to the prevalence of older stuff.  The coop stocks chokers and winch line but not harvester chain.
Mike that's what we are talking about for a brush mat is running on the tops, with a pull through setup all the slash is on the landing you can grab a turn of it per turn in that can be spread on the trails.

ehp

land owner has lived 42 years at this bush and said its the wettest he has ever seen, its bad. I cannot make ruts , I cannot cut any tree that does not have paint on it and there is never any small trees marked . Tree by-law person lives at the end of this bush and the next 2 Im to cut . Lots of places the water is 18 inches deep on flat land . If I make a rut I get fined hard so you have to just wait it out

mike_belben

Quote from: Skeans1 on December 17, 2018, 02:00:31 PM
Quote from: mike_belben on December 17, 2018, 11:20:49 AM
Mike that's what we are talking about for a brush mat is running on the tops, with a pull through setup all the slash is on the landing you can grab a turn of it per turn in that can be spread on the trails.
No i get it.. Im saying its not common here.  Maybe should be but isnt.  
Praise The Lord

Brian w

Well here we go again worked two days this week in foot deep mud n now it's raining again

mike_belben

Yep, same.  Im soaked to my socks and undies despite muck boots and rain suit. How does that even happen?  Worked all day for $40 but the kid inside a 72 degree mcdonalds needs $15/hr 
::)
Praise The Lord

lxskllr

Quote from: mike_belben on December 20, 2018, 05:01:31 PM
Yep, same.  Im soaked to my socks and undies despite muck boots and rain suit. How does that even happen?  Worked all day for $40 but the kid inside a 72 degree mcdonalds needs $15/hr
::)
But you aren't in McDonalds. Hard to put a price on that  ;^)

Wudman

Some days you just need to stay at home:

These two were trying to get to the cutter that was buried.  You can run on sand until it is totally saturated......then it craps out too.  At least there are no ruts.  I just runs back together behind you.  When you lose an LGP dozer, it is just a tad wet.

Wudman 
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Southside

Back in the 90's I saw a CTL processor that broke one track through ground in a bog, the operator was smart, called for the forwarder to hook onto him to pull him back, well that resulted in the other track breaking through, it only got worse from there until the only thing above ground level was the head.  Excavated a gigantic hole around the machine and cribbed trailer load after trailer load of tree length wood under it to make a mat.  Things were not going well and there was talk of leaving the machine and salvaging the head.  Of course by now the starter went and she was a dead anchor.  Took four or five days but the crew managed to get the machine out, in the end it only needed a starter and a planetary rebuilt.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ehp

we got another 2 1/2 inches of rain couple nights ago and now were to get a pile again thurs and Friday , its to be 50 F on Friday here , yep its been a cold cold winter so far .

GAB

Quote from: Wudman on December 20, 2018, 05:21:27 PM

These two were trying to get to the cutter that was buried.  You can run on sand until it is totally saturated......then it craps out too.  At least there are no ruts.  I just runs back together behind you.  When you lose an LGP dozer, it is just a tad wet.

Wudman
I was once told to accent the positive - in this case you know where your toys are.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

nativewolf

Quote from: GAB on December 25, 2018, 08:26:09 PM
Quote from: Wudman on December 20, 2018, 05:21:27 PM

These two were trying to get to the cutter that was buried.  You can run on sand until it is totally saturated......then it craps out too.  At least there are no ruts.  I just runs back together behind you.  When you lose an LGP dozer, it is just a tad wet.

Wudman
I was once told to accent the positive - in this case you know where your toys are.
Gerald
Got a laugh from your positive outlook!  Thanks from a wet Virginian.  @wudman I guess those were stuck earlier this year.  What a year.
Liking Walnut

Wudman

Yep.  Just before our first killing frost.  That would have happened when you pulled off the blacktop today.  More coming this weekend.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Brian w

Anyone know how to get one of those reality shows. I want to call mine logging for no profit. Or maybe wishing I could work.

nativewolf

Funny thing is the mills are screaming for logs but prices have not budged, sometimes gone backwards.  No logs and still won't increase pricing.  Sigh.

That's not going to make us want to work hard next week.  That said, I've got to put 20MBF on the ground about every week and frankly that should be a cake walk, like every day.  With this rain it is a miserable experience.  I have 3 pairs of boots...I just rotate due to mud.  If it would get cold enough to stay frozen for 6 weeks we could make some progress.
Liking Walnut

ehp

ya it started raining here just as I quit yesterday so about 5;30 pm and its still raining now pretty much 24 hours later , its quite the mess

nativewolf

Rain in Ontario after Christmas?  Gesh what a mess.  Amex and the other guys up there still screaming for logs?  
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Theres water squirting out of the mole holes even on the high ground here now.  
Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

I'm just laying the job down and trying to stay off my skid roads, still kind of frozen in the woods, was 49 here today, we get cold again for a couple days it wont ne bad. 
 Every logger I know is going thru the same thing, guys have put out 1/2 the volume they usually do, a couple of the CTL guys i know have given up and parked stuff, things just aren't good. 
 Dry firewood and hay isnt going to exist here soon, another local guy with some beef cattle just threw the towel in because of hay, come February I bet people give horses away. 

PartTimeJack

The middle of November after harvest, I decided I would start with the small stuff, and firewood. Then work my way up to the bigger stuff as the ground froze. Well it's been raining so much since then that I still don't have all of the small trees drug out, and only three loads of firewood. 
I'm sure it will freeze up soon.  :embarassed:
Just a Farmer learnin to be a Jack.

Southside

Another 1.25" today, more coming all next week, forget about getting into the woods, walked some yesterday - not a chance, and that was before this rain.  

No winter wheat planted around here at all, maybe some behind corn but even those fields are not green so the seed has probably rotted by now.  Cows are tearing everything up.    

Have a customer who sells ag chemicals and such, said they have guys going back around and taking wheat seed back from farmers because it never got planted.  If the whole Grand Solar Minimum theory is correct then this is only the beginning it seems.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ehp

ya I cut today but did not skid much, my landing is about 6 inches deep in water but I am on sand, problem is the water table is that high where I am, never before has it been that high to the people that live there and its to rain again Monday , Not far north of me its cold like 0-20 below F most mornings , here yesterday it was 54F , crazy

nativewolf

so I'm not the only one with water standing on the landing...misery loves company but I sure hope you get the cold you need and it freezes long and hard so you can get to work.
Liking Walnut

BargeMonkey

Skeans1

Quote from: nativewolf on December 29, 2018, 07:32:35 PM
so I'm not the only one with water standing on the landing...misery loves company but I sure hope you get the cold you need and it freezes long and hard so you can get to work.
Anyway to ditch the area? We are always battling water here lots of ditches and cat work quite often even along main trails.

Thank You Sponsors!