iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

kiln operator training

Started by kderby, May 15, 2006, 04:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kderby

I just walked into the operating position for a one year old kiln and six thousand square foot shed. 8) 8) 8)

It is an economic development project that lost its operator so I stepped up to the plate.

It is available for 10mbf loads in the middle of Oregon.

I did not expect to be a kiln operator but the availablity of the kiln was part of my business plan.  With the need for an operator, here I am.  It is a Mood-Mizer product (DK-8000) with a computer and other bells and whistles.

I expect to dry primarily Juniper (like eastern red cedar), pine and fir.  No hardwoods around here to speak of.  We  live in a desert with the trees up in the mountains so most of the local lumber is air dry.  The kiln will be for the higher value green lumber and will speed the drying of lumber as needed.  There are a dozen small sawmill operators in the area so I hope they will show up with some volume.

It is a gift and a curse to be handed a new kiln and large shed while trying to operate a mill and lumber yard as well.  Please send your wisdom and good thoughts my way.

Thanks

KD

Den Socling

KD,

I think that you are in a fairly easy situation. Both WoodMizer and Nyle (the manufacturer of the DH system) are good companies that will give you any help you need. And the species you want to dry are forgiving. If I were you, I would do some 'light' reading and learn how the combination of temperature and humidity moves water from liquid to vapor at a controlled rate to be carried away by moving air. After that, look at the difference between 'free' water and 'bound' water. Now you know the basics.

Den

Thank You Sponsors!