iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MayCo Sawmill?

Started by ksu_chainsaw, April 18, 2004, 01:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksu_chainsaw

Has anyone heard of or used a MayCo TimberChamp.  I see that there is one on the sawmill exchange, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.  From the description, they sound similar to a D&L DoubleCut sawmill.

Thanks for all your help.

Charles

D._Frederick

KSU,

I didn't take time to look it up, but I think it is the founder of mobile dimension that was building timber champ. He has passed away.

doublecut

Quite a bit different than the D&L mills . the only thing the same is the 2 round saws. Have a look at the d&l sites and compare. :)

sawmill_john

Charles, the MayCo Timber Champ is basically a small version of the Mobile Dimension Saw, most were equipped with a 24 HP Onan engine and have the cut capacity of 4" on the edging (horizontal) cut and 8" on the main (vertical) cut.  I have used one on part of one 52" dia Sequoia log and have talked with numerous owners, some have had very good results some have not been happy with the limited cut capacity, the mills are on the slow side as far as cutting speed, and low on power.  They have very few frills, and the gauging is limited at best.  over about a ten year period MayCo produced approx 130 units and sold them across the US and canada and even have afew scattered around the world, the one I sawed with was shipped to Goma in the Democratic Republic of Congo.  I would not recommend one unless you are going to use it in a part time operation.  The double cut uses the same design as the Mobile Dimesion Saw and the Timber Champ, they all break down the log in the same manner.  The man who originally designed the MDS was Jim May and he did pass away about 5 years ago.

John

doublecut

The doublecut uses the same concept to cut the log up but not the same design. The edger saw trails the head saw for lots of definite advantages and they have a 4 posted carriage which runs on a twin v track with diesel power.Hydraulic variable feed are some other noticable differences.

Mobilesawyer

Did I get you right Lindsey? You have gone to hydraulic feed on the saw head instead on the 5 hp friction drive? If so how did you overcome your concerns with regard to wear and tear on the hydraulic lines?

oakiemac

I believe the MD saw also has variable  hydrostatic feed and a 4 post endstands.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

doublecut

The hydraulic drive is located at the backend of the mill much the same as the friction was. We still use a 6 h.p to power all the hydraulics. This feature allows the drive unit to be part of the mill and travel with the mill and not a seperate unit. So no long hoses to wear out

SawdustBrain

John, and Charles, I was reading past post related to the Timber Champ and thought I would just add some information that may be of interest.  John, you are correct, Jim May actually built the Mobile Demension back in the thirties.  He sold out to his daughter and her husband many years ago.  Then he developed the more portable Timber Champ that could get right down on the side of a hill with those giant redwood logs---much more portable--whole mill weights 750 lbs.  He approached MD---his son in law, about marketing the TC--they said no way.  So up until his death, he hand made every one of those fine mills, with the help of John ??? and his grandson Jared.  Since his death, MD will now offer supplies and replacement parts, I do not know if they sell the mill.  Sawdustbrain
Wonder where I could get some fine sawdust---Oh! I know, I have a mill--Darn those termites using my brain for lunch.

SawdustBrain

Charles, I just posted a reply to John's post, I had not seen this.  I have had a Timber Champ since 1995, still own it but don't use it much due to my age.  Jim May was founder of Mobile Demension, sold out to his daughter and husband, started the Mayco---Timber Champ.  I have used the TimberKing and Wood Mizer band mills and would take the Timber Champ over them any time-----if you want a truly one man sawmill.  They are not high production but are great for a home use--building houses, barns, fences sheds, or whatever out of your own woodlot.
If you want to know more of my experience, jwr98@hotmail.com

Jerry
aka Sawdustbrain
Wonder where I could get some fine sawdust---Oh! I know, I have a mill--Darn those termites using my brain for lunch.

Thank You Sponsors!