iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally made some 'dust!!!!!!!!

Started by flip, August 20, 2005, 08:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

Well, it was my first time last night, I finally did it 8) 8) After 4 months of building and bleeding I cut my first log.  At 10pm we loaded on a 10 hickory and sent the blade through.  I need to make some slight mods. today before I tackle the rest of the pile of better logs.  My new Logrite cant hook works great, thanks Kevin!

I will post some pics. in a few days so everyone can see the carnage, it ain't pretty but it makes boards!! :)

Thanks for all the great ideas I've gleaned from this site, you guys and gals are ggggggreat! 8)
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

twostroke_blood

DonE911

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Now your hooked for life......   ;D

flip

Here's a question.  I have a couple of larger pin oaks, I know they aren't worth any lumber but can they be cut up and used as stickers??  I really don't want to dead stack the stuff I'm gonna cut up tomorrow, and can I use 'em green without stain issues?? ???

flip

Lesson #1 learned:  Too much lube. (water) turns your dust into oatmeal ;D ;D :D

sprucebunny

Congratulations, flip 8)

It must be very satisfying to build a tool as complicated as a sawmill and have it work ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

DonE911

Cut lots of stickers. Someone told me that when I first got started.

I cut a poor quality oak that was 16" and 9ft long into stickers.... the whole log was made into stickers.
I dried them pretty well, then I ripped them to size and planed them on all four sides...  made some great stickers and lots of them.... 

Why tell this story???  Those stickers didn't last long....  I've used some green stickers with green wood and didn't get any stain, but I restacked the lumber with dry stickers less than a week later so that may not say much.

Just cut more  ;D

Dan_Shade

i'm in a never ending battle with needing more stickers, you'll never have enough, especially when getting started!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

stumpy

One idea on stickers that works for me. I go to a large local Hardwood mill and buy their used stickers. They use 8 footers. when they break, they bundle up the broken ones and I buy a 4' diameter bundle of hardwood stickers that are at least 4 foot long for $20. Now any way you look at it, you can produce them for less than that.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

DonE911

Not a bad deal on stickers..... course that takes all the fun of fussing over your self made stickers ;D

jpad_mi

Congratulations Flip! Great work!

I can't wait to see the pictures!
Jeff P. in Michigan

Fla._Deadheader

Sounds  8) 8)  Waiting for pics here too.  ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Part_Timer

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

pretty soon you'll be addicted with no way out
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Thank You Sponsors!