iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Router Planer Sled

Started by ESFted, January 28, 2015, 12:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ESFted

Some X, some Y and some Z. Hand planing those air dried cherry slabs that have been taking up too much room in the shop has been wearing me out. Lacking the big boy resources most of you have, I figured a router planer sled would get the job done better, so I put together some 8020 extrusions, some Rockler Multi Track, some angle and floor brackets, various t-nuts and some turned inline skate wheels to create my version. Finally finished it today and gave it a test run. Useable area is 25" x 86" with about a three inch height adjustment range before I have to block up the frame.  The whole thing is expandable with additional extrusions.  I just need to come up with a way to clamp the piece being planed. Others have used various bench stop systems for that, so that's where I'm headed. The skate wheels worked out great and both X and Y movement is very smooth. Some minor ridges left after planing, but a cabinet scraper took care of them easily.

First attempt at pictures...hope they are all right:

S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

Andy White

ESFted,
That looks like just what the doctor ordered, for those large panels. I have not yet had an opportunity to work anything that size, but if , when I do, that would be the thing!! Are the wheels available or do they have to be made custom for that machine? I like it  ;D ;D ;D ;D "like button"         Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

lowpolyjoe

Great setup!

I put together a crude DIY rig a couple years ago to do the same thing.  But I'm jealous of yours :)

Bill Gaiche

Very nice, well thought out routering machine. At least its a tool that most of us could afford to make and be a great benefit to wood working projects that need resurfacing. That will make some really nice lumber for some really nice projects.  bg

Just Me

That is very cool! Nice job and well thought out. I may use that design for myself. I have a Safety Speed Cut routing machine that does smaller stuff but is limited to 26" and 3" deep, Now you need a 3 1/4hp Porter Cable and it will be perfect! ;)

Larry

pineywoods

Oh boy, even got a tray to catch the shavings.  :) Are those extrusions an off-the-shelf item ? I've spotted a big oak burl that I plan to harvest shortly, may have to build one of these first...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

ESFted

Quote from: Andy White on January 28, 2015, 06:47:32 AM
ESFted,
That looks like just what the doctor ordered, for those large panels. I have not yet had an opportunity to work anything that size, but if , when I do, that would be the thing!! Are the wheels available or do they have to be made custom for that machine? I like it  ;D ;D ;D ;D "like button"         Andy

Andy, There are many different kinds of wheels and linear bearings available for this kind of stuff.  Faztek and 80/20 are just two of several manufacturers that produce extrusions and accompanying parts.  I had access to skate wheels for free, so I just turned a workable profile on the lathe and saved myself some money.  All this stuff is pricey....if you can find it in a scrap yard or some other form it's a lot cheaper.
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM

ESFted

Quote from: pineywoods on January 28, 2015, 09:45:25 AM
Oh boy, even got a tray to catch the shavings.  :) Are those extrusions an off-the-shelf item ? I've spotted a big oak burl that I plan to harvest shortly, may have to build one of these first...

Piney...those are off the shelf 15 series extrusions from the Faztek Amazon store, but you could make the same thing from wood.  I bought the extrusions because I spent many happy hours playing with an erector set when I was a kid and thought they would be cool to have for a variety of other projects. ;D ;D

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

VT_Forestry

Very impressive!  Not sure what the dimensions of your slabs are, but my planer can run 18" by 6" thick - you're welcome to load em up and ride up the interstate a few miles if you're so inclined  :D
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

ESFted

Quote from: VT_Forestry on January 28, 2015, 12:24:27 PM
Very impressive!  Not sure what the dimensions of your slabs are, but my planer can run 18" by 6" thick - you're welcome to load em up and ride up the interstate a few miles if you're so inclined  :D

Thanks for the kind offer.  These were stickered up off the ground but on a crusher run base.  When it rained the crusher run splashed surprisingly high on the pile.  Somehow the stuff also blew in between the stickers.  Even wire brushing didn't get rid of all the grit.  I wouldn't want to ruin a planer blade on this stuff.

scsmith42

Very nice; thanks for sharing!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

hackberry jake

You can also plane end-grain now.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Ianab

QuoteYou can also plane end-grain now.

Yup, works good for that, like butcher's block glue ups that aren't quite level. Also works for figured wood that tends to tear out in a regular planer.

Like the OP says, the finish isn't totally perfect, you get a few "swirlys" left there, but nothing you can't deal to with a scraper or sander. But it IS perfectly flat, and that's the main thing.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!