iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic oil

Started by loggerman1959, December 21, 2017, 06:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

The hydraulic in my harvester is 10-30 motor oil.  It's certainly a bit thicker in the winter but haven't had any issues.  Use summer grade chain oil in the summer and winter grade in the winter.  The forwarder has regular hydraulic.  Use pails of 32 in the summer and 68 in the winter. 

We only have a few days in the winter when it gets really cold (-30C).  It saves me money to pay the guys to stay home those days. 

Lots of toys for working in the bush

chevytaHOE5674

We never fully changed the oil in either machine we just started adding the thinner weight oil in the fall as we needed. Since the machines I ran were 20k plus hour old girls they tended to drip, leak, and blow oil from time to time. So by the time the cold weather hit in January and February a majority was the 32 weight.

Last year I started running 0W-40 engine oil in my tractors for winter and it really improved cold weather starts and made the motors sound much happier at -30.

coxy

I run iso  chevron 100w rock drill oil for bar oil winter and summer I got a great deal on a pallet of it 1.00 a gal 8)  the stuff looks like water its so clear  but doesn't seem to get thick in the cold but it turns a milk color below 0 anyone know why 

snowstorm

Dose castrol make there oil or do they buy it? I went on the Irving oil refinery tour last year.there wss thousands on cases of Castro that Irving blended for them. I buy mine direct from them.

deastman

Quote from: snowstorm on December 24, 2017, 07:23:02 PM
Dose castrol make there oil or do they buy it? I went on the Irving oil refinery tour last year.there wss thousands on cases of Castro that Irving blended for them. I buy mine direct from them.
Dysarts makes up 5 gal. pails of the Castrol for me, not sure where they get it from, I'll ask next time I'm in to get some
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

mike_belben

Quote from: Southside logger on December 23, 2017, 10:15:00 PM

I don't know about these days but 20 years ago it was common in the dead of winter to leave equipment running all weekend when it was -40F or colder.  Would drive by a loader and the bucket was slowly turning circles with nobody in sight just to keep the oil and everything else warm and alive.  Stuff breaks when you let it get that cold and you try to start it up Monday morning.

Yeah all those no idle states dont even know why their cost of goods is getting inflated to death.  Try starting a stone cold 14L tractor at the truckstop next day.  Or living in one for that matter.  No one wants to haul into northeast unless its good $$. 
Praise The Lord

Al_Smith

Some time ago I was involved in 42 miles of a 20" high pressure natural gas pipeline in Northern Ohio .It was unusually cold for Ohio ,several weeks on end the temp was never above 10 below zero often hitting 20-25 below in the night time .During that time the pipeline contractor never shut off  those giant side boom tractors,the size of a D8 or the Cat  245 excavators off .They ran 7 and 24 .They even tarped the radiators at night to keep the engine temp up .Coldest winter I ever spent in my life .

mike_belben

Im just not man enough for that kinda cold.
Praise The Lord

Al_Smith

That was half a life time ago for me .The coldest I get any more is walking from the parking lot into the shop .No problem there with the hydraulic oil . :)

coxy

come on put on your big boy pants  :D :D :D

ehp

0 to 20 below is pretty much perfect logging weather , anything below 40 below I stay inside

Timbercruiser

Quote from: Mountain_d on December 21, 2017, 10:20:10 PM
The previous owner ran ATF in my 1978 TJ 230. Not sure how common that is? Anyone use ATF? I guess 32 would be cheaper. I do have a few leaks and you know how much you are losing with the red ATF on the snow  :D Mountain.

Lots of people up here in Canada use ATF year round . I use it in my 230 year round

snowstorm

So what the going price go a 5 gal. Pail of 46? Not asking about the cheap no name brand . Good quality oil. From what I have seen most stores mark it up $10 to 15 from what they pay for it.

Thank You Sponsors!