iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood ID please.

Started by Smithkp, October 01, 2018, 07:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smithkp

A coworker asked if I would cut a beam up for him and brought it over yesterday. All he knows is that they were used to bolt transformers to and ship them. He said they could set a transformer in a field on these beams and they wouldn't rot.

What I know. Wood is very hard and my saw spit out red dust when cutting. I planed them down to get a look at the grain and checked my blades afterwards to ensure none were chipped or broke. It sounded like the planer was going to explode when I was running them through. Other than that, they are just really beautiful boards and he has a barn full of these beams.

ETA: He said someone told him the wood was from South America??

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

WDH

Yes.  I believe that it is tropical.  Not sure of the species.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

lxskllr

Reminds me of cocobolo, but I'm not that familiar with tropical wood. Try that, or investigate the blackwood family, like rosewood.

Cocobolo - Wikipedia

Smithkp

Bullet wood seems to be the consensus here. But after seeing a picture of quartersawn Sapele....could be either but the use for bullet wood makes sense. Whatever it is, I have a lot of it.
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

DelawhereJoe

Could be ipe color looks similar.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Don P

I was thinking the same thing but for id we call all the unknown wood from down south "jungle wood", seems like there are a dozen look alikes for each. Bruce Hoadley's wood ID book does go into some tropical woods.

loganworks2

Ipe will sink if put in water it is so dense. I have built several boat swim platforms from it 25 years ago and they are still in use .

KEC

Possibly, Mahogany, it shows up as dunnage/pallets with freight. I think that Mahogany is used as flooring in semi-trailer vans.

Hodja

Looks like Cumaru (Brazilian Teak).  Ipe (Brazilian Walnut) would have a slightly green tint.  Both Cumaru and Ipe are dense and water resilient.

Thank You Sponsors!