iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

up in tom's and getoverit's neck of the woods.

Started by Flurida_BlackCreek, December 30, 2005, 12:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crtreedude

Regarding Costa Rica:

There was a story about a month ago here. A thief decided to rob a store - what he didn't know was that there were two very large guard dogs.

One of the dogs attacked him - and wouldn't stop either. The owner wasn't able to stop it, and the police wouldn't kill the dog. After a while, they did manage, but the thief was dead.

Yes, there was the normal outcry (ever wonder if this is from people who's relatives could be thieves?) but the dog is still alive, nothing filed against the owner, and the policemen still have their jobs.

And the dog is still minding the store - and I bet they don't have any problem with thieves.

If you use too much force when it wasn't justified (in your house is justified) then you will end up in jail - but they don't go into punishing people for trying to do the right thing under a stressful situation.

Costa Rica is at your own risk - generally it works well in my opinion.

All you need to get a gun here is to be check out mentally - that is probably why I don't have one...  ::)

But, the truth is, the Ticos are a bit worried about me - after all, compared to most, I look like Lurch in the Adam's family.  :D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Paul_H

Max,

My Dad was an avid hunter and we always had guns around so we never thought much about it.We had Chickens and Ducks and lived in a rural area so we saw a lot of dead Coyotes,Racoons,Owls and even Dogs that dared to try and get at the old man's Chickens
I think that the closer you get to the urban centers in Canada,the more resistance and opposition you'll find to guns,loggers,farmers and other dangerous weapons.When I was young,in the early 70's,there was a  rough group that came through and my Dad asked a cop what his rights were in protecting his family.The Constable told him to make sure he shot an intruder coming,not going.

I'm not sure what the outcome would be for shooting an armed intruder but would guess it would be similar to the States.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

OneWithWood

Flurida that is an excellent link.  Whew, a long read but very informative.  Thank-you for posting it.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Max sawdust

Paul,
I guess it is like with all "tools" if you grew up with them and are familiar with using them you are not afraid of them.
I agree with you on the urban and rural thing as a generalization.  I like your simple non-emotional approch to this subject, I can learn something from it. ;D

Thanks CR for the story, I guess I am infatuated with subjects that draw such strong emotion.  (This includes my own emotion.) ::)

Good article Flurida, CR the article talks about a mental stability test also :D   so I guess CR can't have on in the States either  :D :D
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Kirk_Allen

Lots has been said and i wont rehash to much but one point that just boils my blood is when folks get on this ban wagon of talking about "assault" rifles.

I have questioned MANY folks about the SO CALLED assault rifles and most who think they have no place have no clue why they are called assault weapons. ITs because some PINKO LIBERAL POLITITION pegged the name after someone got assuulted with a semi auto loading weapon and then the INCH Jeff talked about became a MILE!

I was a marksman in the Military with my M-16 and consider myself one today with ALL my guns.  According to the polotitions and the screaming liberal pinkos the civilian version of the m-16,now called the AR15 is an assault weapon. 

ANY WEAPON USED TO SHOOT SOMEONE IS AN ASSAULT WEAPON. 

I regulary use my brothers m14 which is the same caliber as the AR15 and shoots just as fast and accurate.  It too has been clasified as an Assault rifle.  Lots of folks say we dont need those TYPES of guns for hunting. 

Well, I guess you have never had a pack of 4-6 coyotes come in on your call or decoy.  If you expect to take out more than one coyote you better have a semi-auto rifle of proper caliber for that particular job. 

On to the bigger rifles that carry the ASSAULT name. SKS, AK-47 etc.  I have shot them all and enjoy owning and shooting them for my own recreation.  Whether its plinking targets or defending my home, they have there place.  Those who dont think so just havent been educated on the difference of right and wrong. 

A recent bill was passed allowing our veterens to register weapons they brought back from the war in WWII, Korea and Vietnam.  They were given amnesty provided they registered them.  I have no problem with that since many of them were fully automatic weapons.  It was nice to see that our polotitions took this stance because owning some of those weapons is part of our history. 

I one day plan on owning a M-16, as it was the weapon I was trained on and used in the military.  I would like to have one so that one day I could pass it on to my son or grandkids and teach them the history of that weapon and is importance in our life. 

I live in the country.  Pior to posting this my wife said she heard coyotes out in front of the house.  I grabbed my 30-30 and unfortunatly, the NON ASSAULT RIFLE would not reach the 250 yards into the field that I needed it to, nor could I get off more than one shot.  Now had I been armed with a semi auto in the 223 caliber or 30 caliber, I would have one less coyote bothering our animals at night. 

For those that want to argue about what TYPES of weapons I should or should not have, take it elsewere because all you will get out of me is a fight.

Chicago has had a ban on handguns for years and it has done NOTHING to reduce crime.  New York city is the same.  Taking guns away from law abiding citizins is not the answer.  If you think it is your probably not willing to be intelectualy honest with yourself or the facts. 

Buzz-sawyer

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

getoverit

I couldnt have said it any better Kirk !

smiley_applause
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

DanG

Kirk, I had been thinking about making that same post, myself, but just hadn't gotten around to it.  What makes an "assault" weapon? ??? ::)  The anti-gun crowd has groomed the lemings....er...public to think that semi-auto mean's machine gun.  I got my ideas on where this whole anti-gun movement started, but I'll just keep it to myself. :-X

Oh, by the way!  I guess those folks wouldn't mind too much if I shot them with my old Savage mod99 lever action in .308, would they? ;D :D :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Rockn H

Kirk I couldn't agree more. 8)  I would like to add, that for several years now when I hear certain politicians trying to get "semi auto's" banned they are describing fully autos to the tee ,not semi.  It makes me so aggrevated. >:(  I can't help but wonder if these politicians are just uneducated on the subject, or if they are hoping we the public are uneducated.  Has anyone else noticed this trend? ???

Flurida_BlackCreek

Kirk, that all may be true but, it's not going to sway anyone that may be on the cuff, to our side. Why preach to the choir! If you want a full auto, file the paper work and get one. If you know someone that is anti gun offer to  take them out and let them shoot yours. It's like sawdust once it gets in your blood, you're addicted.

The words "Assault Rifle" are simply used to invoke 'emotion', not logic, and responding to it the way many do, from both sides, is doing exactly what they want.
I'm happy anywhere south of the mason-dixon line.
-- cdb

pigman

Quote from: Kirk Allen on January 06, 2006, 12:08:26 AM

A recent bill was passed allowing our veterens to register weapons they brought back from the war in WWII, Korea and Vietnam.  They were given amnesty provided they registered them.  I have no problem with that since many of them were fully automatic weapons. 
When I returned from RVN we were not permited to bring any fully auto weapons back with us. The semis, if non US, were permited . I have heard that some Navy and others did sneak some out on ships or AF planes. Every thing I brought back had to be dumped out on a table and every piece was inspected before it was put back in the dufful bag. :( 
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Max sawdust

Quote from: Flurida_BlackCreek on January 06, 2006, 06:57:42 AM
Kirk, that all may be true but, it's not going to sway anyone that may be on the cuff, to our side. Why preach to the choir! If you want a full auto, file the paper work and get one. If you know someone that is anti gun offer to  take them out and let them shoot yours. It's like sawdust once it gets in your blood, you're addicted.

The words "Assault Rifle" are simply used to invoke 'emotion', not logic, and responding to it the way many do, from both sides, is doing exactly what they want.

Flurida,
100% in agreement.   8) 8)
I make a point to take young people out shooting teach them safety, respect, responsibility for firearms.  Good things for young people to learn, respect and responsibility seem to be rare these days ::)  Plus you almost always get the "sawdust effect" :D :D :D ;)
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

sawguy21

Quote from: Max sawdust on January 05, 2006, 10:51:08 AM
Paul,
Thanks for that input, you know how we can get in the States ::) 

What happens to a Canadian who protects his family tooth and nail and shoots the intruder, because the intruder was armed?
Will he be jailed and prosecuted?  Or will he be celibrated?
Do the provinces vary in general opinion as the states do down here?

I find the international perspective interesting on this subject, would like to hear more from the outside the US members.
Max
I have to find a country to move to incase Hillary Clinton is elected President :D :D
(I suppose I should not type her name the CIA will start monitoring the FF) :o
I suppose I should have known my post would start an intense discussion but  I don't want to feel the need to have a loaded firearm beside the bed. I am not so naive as to suggest violent crime does not happen in my back yard but I am a little disturbed by the siege and Wild West mentality I read in some of your posts. I will not live in a prison of my own making based on fear of my neighbours, the government, the commies or anyone else nor will I use a firearm to settle disputes.
For the record, I have done military service and really enjoyed the weapons training. I would like to get into range shooting again but with all the red tape to legally possess a gun, I can't be bothered.
To answer Max's questions, the gun laws here are federal. If I were to use a firearm against an intruder, it could be ruled excessive force even if he is armed, especially if the perp is a juvenile.
Like I am going to ask for ID. ::)
As I mentioned in my initial post, I could also be charged under the Criminal Code for unsafe storage of a firearm. We are required to have them securely stored separate from the ammunition. The gun registry here has been a complete waste of time and money. It has not worked. Handguns have been severely restricted since 1934 yet they are the weapon of choice for the dope dealers.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree and shake hands. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

OneWithWood

For the record, I am not anti-gun.  I own many and enjoy using them.  I am anti-ignorance which is why I stated that if a licensing program such as the one in the Cato institute article were to be adopted I would not have a problem with it.

With no regulation what-so-ever the people who are migrating daily from urban areas to rural areas may very well want to express their new found freedom of space by purchasing a long range long rifle and take up target shooting on the back forty.  Without some training or familiarization with the range of a high velocity round they may very well send a few stray rounds over onto the adjoining property.  Not a good thing in my opinion  :o

I also own a couple of vehicles that will travel down the highway in excess of 150mph all day long.  Of course there are some regulations that prevent me from doing that and I am sure their are folks who are grateful for that. 

IOW I have no problem with people whose egos demand they own the biggest baddest toy they can get their hands on as long as they are required to prove they can handle the toy safely.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

thedeeredude

We don't live in a wild west world.  Protecting families is what its about, not feeling like a big guy cuz ya have a loaded gun by the bed.  This world is controlled by Satan.  There are truly evil people who will do evil things.  They run car bombs into our soldiers, they rape innocent women, they kill for the thrill of seeing another human die.  There is one and only one defense against someone who is hell bent on killing you and it is not leaving them alone and maybe they won't bother you.

Flurida_BlackCreek

good post OWW and others.

I like to know what both sides are thinking, more than one way to be armed.

http://www.aclu.org/police/gen/14523res20020304.html
I'm happy anywhere south of the mason-dixon line.
-- cdb

Faron

Just a little figment from my over medicated mind.........   Wonder what would happen if everyone who wanted to possess a gun had to prove himself mentally compentant, and had to complete and master a difficult gun owners' course, something as difficult as a police or military training.  Now, I think that violates the Second Amendment, but bear with me a minute.  As a requirement of possessing that license, the owner is required to carry at all times a substantial firearm.  No exceptions- at work, at church, on the bus, on the plane.  I wonder what would happen to the rate of violent street crime?  Would the average citizen be more or less safe?  What might be different when we remember 9-11-01 if a few citizens had been armed?  Would we just see a shoot em up mentality?  Too many questions- they make my head hurt again. ;) :D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Thank You Sponsors!