iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Achilles tendon

Started by Jamie_C, August 11, 2014, 11:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie_C

At the end of my shift on Thursday night when I got out of the harvester to fuel it up my heel was bothering me and it was quite difficult to walk, climbing up and down the side of the harvester to fuel up and then getting back into the cab was an adventure in pain. By the time I got home from work I was hobbling like a pirate with a peg leg. I could barely get my work boot off my foot had swollen so bad.

Thinking it was just some 24hr injury I iced it and took Ibuprofen, fast forward to Saturday afternoon and I have had enough, when climbing stairs the pain was enough to buckle my knee so off to the ER I go .... after some poking and prodding around my ankle and heel area the good Dr informs me I have achilles tendinitis. She then informs me it can take months to heal completely and I should get used to some constant pain until then, recommended that I keep it wrapped, take anti inflammatory drugs and take it easy for the next while. If things get worse in the next 7 to 10 days I am to go see my family doctor and will be sent for xrays to check things out.

I decided to take today and tomorrow off to try to get healed up a little bit before attempting an 11 hour shift in the harvester. Anybody who has operated tracked harvesters in rocky ground knows the steady pounding and vibrating your body takes, add in the approx 15 to 20 minute "drive" in the harvester to get from the landing to where we are processing behind the buncher and I am leery of doing more damage. A friend of mine ended up off work and in a fancy boot contraption for 8 weeks when he had the same problem.

Really glad I work for a company who treats us well. They would rather you take a few days or a week off to heal up some than you coming into work and risk aggravating the injury further.

Back to laying on the couch with my foot elevated for a bit and then a soak in epsom salts. Not sure how long my sanity will stay intact doing nothing all day.

beenthere

Jamie
Don't know if it is the same, but I had both achilles tendons cause me a lot of pain, and mentioned it to my Dr.
He said put some arch support in my shoes and gave me a name. Spenco RX Orthotic arch support.
I did, and the pain went away and has been that way for 3 years.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jamie_C

I think I managed to over extend my achilles tendon and then the constant pounding from the machine just made things worse in a hurry. The problem you had sounds more like plantar faciitis (spelling ??), it gives similar pain.

A female friend of mine told me if I had plantar faciitis then I should avoid wearing high heels ... there goes my wild plans for Friday night ... lol

Thank You Sponsors!