iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

does anybody know coffeewood/ Partridgewood/ Momoqui?

Started by roquevalente, August 03, 2012, 11:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roquevalente

Hello, we just bought 2 fresh concessions and inside this concession there is a considerable amount of coffeewood, also called Partridgewood or Momoqui.
We wonder whether we should log these species, does anybody has experience with this specie, is it suitable for outdoor decking or better for indoor flooring only?

coffeewood hardwood flooring

Coffeewood Partridgewood Momoqui hardwood decking

Roque Valente SRL is a ipe hardwood mill located in the Bolivian forest specialized in milling and logging - www.roquevalente.com

beenthere

Don't know these woods, but they do look good in the pics. Thanks for posting.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Ron Wenrich

I looked at what the web prices are at.  Seems like they're fetching over $14/bf.  But, partridgewood in the US may be panga panga.  I've seen prefinished flooring like you have go for $9/sq ft.  Those are retail prices in the US. 

It seems that your problem isn't whether it should be logged, but whether you can market the material.  Jim King had a knack of getting offbeat species to market.  I think a lot of his stuff went for turnings.  The things I'm seeing are mainly for hobby woods.  But, I could see it being used in flooring. 

The problem with marketing is whether you have a suitable supply.  If you have a very limited quantity, then your problems are much harder than if your supply is enough to meet demand.  Low supply may not generate enough interest to overcome the problem of production and limited markets. 

However, there seems to be a market out there for the wood.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!