iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quickie Quiz Jackpot

Started by mesquite buckeye, January 09, 2013, 09:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

What tree am I ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

Here is a bigger image to help out.

Even more easier with the tree, no ??? ??? ??? ;D

thecfarm

some sort of willow.  :D   I was going to guess hemlock.  :D   :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

mesquite buckeye

Not willow, not hemlock.

Mesquite is a relative, big clue. ::) 8) 8) 8)

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

mesquite buckeye

It takes a Texan to get closer.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Not Huische, but very, well pretty close.

It is from Redington, Arizona.....  new clue :snowball:

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

Less close, same family 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

mesquite buckeye

Not any Prosopis.      I have never seen a mesquite in the red range. Usually tan when fresh cut. :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: ;D

mesquite buckeye

Next hint: native to SW US and northern Mexico, usually not this big ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :snowball:

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 09, 2013, 09:09:47 PM

I know, I know! You're a mesquite buckeye! ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Dodgy Loner

Just kidding. I don't know many desert plants very well. Is it some kind of acacia?
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on January 10, 2013, 03:57:36 PM
Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 09, 2013, 09:09:47 PM

I know, I know! You're a mesquite buckeye! ;D

Very cute, but wrong. :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8)

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on January 10, 2013, 04:00:27 PM
Just kidding. I don't know many desert plants very well. Is it some kind of acacia?

Yes is is. Which one ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

Dodgy Loner

Well, since you said they don't normally get big, I'll go with smallii

mesquite buckeye

Then that would be Huisache, which it isn't. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

There aren't that many Acacias here, and less that get at all big.

:snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: 8) 8) 8) ;D

mesquite buckeye

One more clue for the forest pathologist types.

These trees normally are hollow by the time they reach maturity, usually covered with conks. 8)

LeeB

Devils claw?
The wood looks like memosa.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: LeeB on January 10, 2013, 06:57:54 PM
Devils claw?
The wood looks like memosa.

Nope. Closer on the first try ;D

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball: :)

mesquite buckeye

New clue:

The wood in the past has been used to make doubletrees because of its strength. :P :-X

mesquite buckeye

Another clue: the wood from a related species is said to have been used to construct the Ark of the Covenant.

8) 8) 8) 8) :P :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:

Dave Shepard

If I remember my "Evan Almighty" correctly, it's gopher wood. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 10, 2013, 08:44:43 PM
If I remember my "Evan Almighty" correctly, it's gopher wood. :D

shittim wood, which is an acacia.

Now the question is which acacia.

I hate to just straight up give it away :( :( ;D :-X

WDH

Catclaw acacia or Devil's Claw.

LeeB

mesquite buckeye

Another good try, but that one, Acacia berlandieri, doesn't make it this far west. ;D ;D ;D

How big does it get for you? I've never seen that one bigger than a few inches thick. ??? ??? ???

LeeB

I don't even know that I've ever seen one. Just hoping to get lucky.  :D

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: LeeB on January 10, 2013, 09:15:50 PM
I don't even know that I've ever seen one. Just hoping to get lucky.  :D

South Texas into NE Mexico. :P

mesquite buckeye

It's much easier if you already know the answer.  :snowball::P

It sliced up my arms when we got it. Some of the prettiest wood I've seen. Pinky red with lots of sheen.

This one probably would have been like the state champion big tree for the species. Bottom log had fence through the middle, upper branches mostly center rotted. One pretty good log that produced this bookmatch, about 17 inches by a little over 4 ft each piece 8/4.

Dodgy Loner

mesquite buckeye

Dodgy Loner is going for the gold, meanwhile, WDH had the right answer and I missed it :-[

Acacia greggii, Catclaw Acacia, Una de Gato in Spanish. Should be a tilde above the n.

Good job WDH  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'll have to get a harder one next time.....

WDH

Actually, I believe that Lee takes the first prize  ;D.

Dodgy Loner

That would certainly have been close to a national champion. The national champion Acacia greggii is in Red Rock, NM, and measures 77" in circumference (24.5" in diameter), 49' tall, with a 46' crown spread :P.

Looks like some beautiful wood. We should swap a USPS medium flat-rate box of wood. I can send you a variety of eastern hardwoods and you can send me some of your awesome desert hardwoods. :)

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on January 10, 2013, 11:07:05 PM
That would certainly have been close to a national champion. The national champion Acacia greggii is in Red Rock, NM, and measures 77" in circumference (24.5" in diameter), 49' tall, with a 46' crown spread :P.

Looks like some beautiful wood. We should swap a USPS medium flat-rate box of wood. I can send you a variety of eastern hardwoods and you can send me some of your awesome desert hardwoods. :)

That might be fun. Got any leadwood?

I have a farm in Missouri, so have many of the common species. Also don't have Carolina silverbells, or maybe something else weird.....

The tree was 24"DBH, growing where the tailwater from an irrigated field ran past it before dropping into the San Pedro Riverbed. Also the water table is only about 20'deep where it grew. Pretty much a use it or lose it deal when we cut it. The upper parts were already starting to break up. It actually had grown roots into the rotted interior, recyling the nutrients, I guess. :) :) :)

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: WDH on January 10, 2013, 10:12:33 PM
Actually, I believe that Lee takes the first prize  ;D.

He did call it an acacia, didn't he? :snowball: :snowball: ;D

LeeB

Actually I suggested Devil's claw and said it looked like memosa.

mesquite buckeye

This one had it's spread limited by some big Mesquites growing near it. I actually wondered about it when we cut it, just how big this one is compared to others.

There is a Condalia tree growing in a wash near the Pinacate Volcanos in Sonora just south of Arizona close to 4ft thick by something like 25ft tall by over 30 ft across. Easily national champion for the species if it were 10 miles further north.    Now that is some awsome wood, if you have ever seen anything from the Rhamnaceae. Mirrors everywhere :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Also sinks in water.

sp gr 1.3

Dry

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Wood listed in 1880 census about trees of North America

Has a map of forests by state.

Big blob in southern Idaho says ENEXPLORED

Way cool.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 10, 2013, 11:24:02 PM
Quote from: Dodgy Loner on January 10, 2013, 11:07:05 PM

That might be fun. Got any leadwood?

I have a farm in Missouri, so have many of the common species. Also don't have Carolina silverbells, or maybe something else weird.....

If you want weird, I can get you weird ;D No leadwood, I'm afraid. I haven't spent much time in South Florida. But we have some stuff around here that you might find interesting. Besides silverbell (which I might have a sample of...I'll have to check), is there anything specifically you're interested in? I've got a few in mind already. Would you like wood of a size that could be used for any specific purpose, or just some samples for reference purposes? (I keep samples in 1/2" x 3" x 6" sizes for my wood collection)

1270d

Is this the same catclaw I used to mutter to myself about when quail hunting?  That ruined more pairs of pants than my first 8 yrs of life?  Never I thought it never got more than 6 or 7 ft high.  We called it the barbarian growth.

mesquite buckeye

hooked spines like cats claws. Did you used to live in the SW ??? ???

1270d

Sounds like the same stuff.  I bought a pair of brush chaps to help save the pants.

I lived in prescott arizona.  When the housing bubble burst and the construction industry slumped I came back to logging.  My wife still has family to visit there.   Good excuse to go chase quail again. 

I love the woods and logging, but I love the desert and mountains of the SW just as much

mesquite buckeye

Both have their good points. If I'm in one, I miss the other ;D

1270d

Thank You Sponsors!