Sponsors:

Quickie Quiz Jackpot # 4

Started by mesquite buckeye, January 17, 2013, 08:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 18, 2013, 06:03:06 PM
Bristlecone pine.

Not any pine....... ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) ::) :P

Check Dodgy Loner's post, it has been narrowed down a bit.....

smiley_gossip smiley_gossip teeter_totter splitwood_smiley
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 18, 2013, 01:04:28 PM
Quote from: Dodgy Loner on January 18, 2013, 11:54:12 AM
Legume family?

Indeed.

smiley_clapping smiley_hollywood_cool smiley_hollywood_cool smiley_hollywood_cool smiley_hollywood_cool smiley_hollywood_cool smiley_hollywood_cool smiley_hollywood_cool smiley_bounce smiley_blue_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky

Woops, I missed this clue. So I was on the right track when I said locust.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 18, 2013, 06:07:54 PM
Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 18, 2013, 01:04:28 PM
Quote from: Dodgy Loner on January 18, 2013, 11:54:12 AM
Legume family?

Indeed.

smiley_clapping smiley_hollywood_cool smiley_hollywood_cool smiley_hollywood_cool smiley_hollywood_cool smiley_hollywood_cool smiley_hollywood_cool smiley_hollywood_cool smiley_bounce smiley_blue_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky

Woops, I missed this clue. So I was on the right track when I said locust.

Indeed. smiley_biggrin01

Okrafarmer

Yellow wood? Coffee Tree? DanG, I still can't find my Western tree book. all I can find are eastern trees.

Do the seeds come in bean-like pods?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 18, 2013, 06:10:44 PM
Yellow wood? Coffee Tree? DanG, I still can't find my Western tree book. all I can find are eastern trees.

Do the seeds come in bean-like pods?

No, no, yes :snowfight1:              :rifle:

Jay C. White Cloud

Kidney Wood, Eysenhardtia orthocarpa???
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on January 18, 2013, 06:17:49 PM
Kidney Wood, Eysenhardtia orthocarpa???

I was afraid somebody might pick up on the fluorescent wood and get it.

smiley_clapping smiley_clapping

That's two for you, isn't it, Jay?

We have a winner 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :P :P ;D

smiley_blue_bounce smiley_flipping smiley_bounce smiley_bounce fly_smiley smiley_hollywood_cool :snowball1: yikes_smiley popcorn_smiley dadgum you, Charlie! smiley_turkey_dancing smiley_angel02_wings dangle_smiley splitwood_smiley pinkie_invert teeter_totter smiley_hellow_im_here smiley_bouncing smiley_gossip smiley_gossip

whiteflag_smiley whiteflag_smiley

Jay C. White Cloud

Yep it is, you are make'n me home sick...I love the mountains here in Vermont, my blood is from the Ozarks, but my ancestors roots on mom's side is the "Cochise Stronghold."  You gave me the answer, I didn't get anything.  Medicinal, UV glow, and it's legume, what else could it be?  Is there something else?  I don't believe, there all in that genus are't they?

Can't wait till we can drag each other to our favorite "haunts,"

Best Regards,  jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on January 18, 2013, 06:30:00 PM
Yep it is, you are make'n me home sick...I love the mountains here in Vermont, my blood is from the Ozarks, but my ancestors roots on mom's side is the "Cochise Stronghold."  You gave me the answer, I didn't get anything.  Medicinal, UV glow, and it's legume, what else could it be?  Is there something else?  I don't believe, there all in that genus are't they?

Can't wait till we can drag each other to our favorite "haunts,"

Best Regards,  jay

The Dragoons are an amazing place. I can see why Cochise chose this place to defend.

You are always welcome, Jay. ;D

mesquite buckeye

The glowing water thing is also very cool.

Interesting that what glows yellow in the blacklight (sorry about the crappy pic, my good blacklight died), turns into something that glows blue in daylight. ;D

Jay C. White Cloud

Thank's Brother,  I know if I had to pick one of the spots on this planet to "dig in for a fight," it would be the Dragoons!  You get me in there and you just "tucked me into bed," ain't a scaly slithery, feathery-furry, crawly, or growy thing that hasn't been in my hand or my grandmothers...I love the Dragoons!  Great Creator willing, I will see them again.

Thanks for the memories,  jay

WDH

Never heard of it  :).  Must not be very common.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jay C. White Cloud

It's not that uncommon, but not a species you would see in the wood trade.  Nurseries sell it, because it is a nice arid garden tree, and the flowers smell sweet.  I remembered some of the traits, when he gave us the clues, legum, it is u.v. reflective, and the big one that triggered the old memory banks, it's a "blood cleaner," medicinal.  If your into landscaping or herbal remedies you could call it common.

Regards,  jay

Okrafarmer

WDH

I don't do ornamentals or imports ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on January 19, 2013, 07:31:12 AM

I don't think it is! (unless you mean to Georgia)

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: WDH on January 18, 2013, 09:25:41 PM
Never heard of it  :).  Must not be very common.

Native S AZ to W TX south into at least northern Mexico. Grows to 20-25ft tall 10-15ft wide and up to about a foot thick. This tree is making its way into the nursery trade, as it is a great patio - pool tree for areas that rarely get below 15°

The wood was used at one time to treat kidney disorders, is fluorescent under blacklight, and infusion of heartwood sawdust in spring water glows blue in daylight. A very cool tree. Nowhere common.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: WDH on January 19, 2013, 07:31:12 AM

I'll stick mostly to natives unless I don't

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thank You Sponsors!