iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Total newbie to this board and sawmills

Started by widfam, August 16, 2015, 03:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

widfam

Well working with wood most of my life I always wanted a sawmill and I just had the opportunity to purchase a used woodmizer LT40H and decided to go for it.  So of course I have a lot of questions and decided to join this forum after finding it on a google search. I look forward to gaining knowledge from all the experience represented on here.  So excuse any future dumb questions. ;D.

I already had someone say they had a tree I could come and get all I had to do was load it and take it away.  Hmmm  I was excited until I started to think about how I could load this tree onto a trailer.  I was thinking of possibly building some sort of tripod and using a come along some how maybe???  If I could get the log in the air I am sure I could get it on the trailer either by rolling it with pipes or using a come along.  Comments...
2009 Woodmizer LT40H

fishfighter

Welcome aboard. Use the search and there are all kinds of ways that people posted loading logs on a trailer.

I'm new to sawing myself. Having the right support equipment makes things easy. At the bottom of the main page on the left side, look for "Tool Box". Really all kinds of good info that us newbes can use.

terrifictimbersllc

welcome, widfam. There's oodles of discussion about getting logs onto trailers here.   search on parbuckle or parbuckling in the search box. Here's one of many threads you will find this way that you can read up on: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,78490.msg1193260.html#msg1193260

p.s. maybe you can take the mill over and mill it there
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ianab

Parbuckling is a common way. You need a couple of ramps and a winch. Pull up the trailer beside the log, fit the ramps between them, and roll the log up the ramps onto the trailer with the winch.  If you are rolling rather than lifting much less pulling power is needed.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WV Sawmiller

Widfam,

Welcome to the forum and WM family and a big War Eagle.

Tons of info here on loading logs. Go to the search function and look up Parbuckle and pick the best selection for your situation and equipment.

Parbuckling is putting a cable or rope under the log, connecting to the trailer or object on other side of the trailer and winching it back up on to the trailer. You would need a couple of skid boards or poles to make the ramp the log rolls on. The log will roll up as you tighten the winch.

By the way - is the tree already down? If getting the logs means cutting the tree and loading it, depending on the location and such, the best bargain you may make may be to walk away from it. If its a yard tree likely to fall on a house, shed, car or somebody else there are much easier and safer ways to get logs.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Andy White

widfam,
Welcome to the forum, the place you will love for all the answers and support you will get. Sounds like your ride has started already. Love the lt40. Someone has done it before when log handling and loading is concerned, and will share the knowledge. You can type a search in the tab at the top of the page, and you will get hours of members own experiences with everything wood! Hang On.     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, widfam.  The only "dumb questions" are unasked questions, so don't hesitate to ask. 

Also view the picture posting thread and video at the bottom of the index page.  It will be very helpful with future picture posting.  Also adding your sawmill to your profile helps with questions.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

Widfam, welcome to The Forestry Forum.
I'm another vote on parbuckling logs onto trailers. I use 8 foot ramps and an el cheapo HF winch and it works pretty decent. One nice thing on doing it this way you make one trip and come home with logs, rather than making multiple trips getting support equipment moved around. Another good idea is to look into either building or buying a log arch.
AND.......charge up the camera, we love pics.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, widfam!

This is a great place to share information!   :P
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

21incher

Welcome to the forestry forum widfam. Could always take the mill to the log. A Logrite cant hook can be your best friend when moving a log. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

widfam

Thanks for all the information.  I will look into the suggestions for loading.  Yes the tree is down already.  Magicman not sure how to add the mill to my profile but I will look into it. thanks
2009 Woodmizer LT40H

Kbeitz

In the first picture I use my trailer crain to lift one end of the log.
While it's hanging I hook my winch thats mounted to the front of the trailer ( second picture) to the log to pull it in...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Quote from: widfam on August 16, 2015, 08:16:46 PMMagicman not sure how to add the mill to my profile but I will look into it. thanks
Click on your name which will bring up your profile.  Click on modify profile which brings up a dropdown menu.  Click Forum Profile and scroll down to Signature.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larcheater

I did a short video on one of the parbuckle methods I use.  I use a Lewis Chainsaw winch, which works well for me.  I can move it anywhere around the trailer and it doesn't heat up like some electric winches I've tried.  Check out:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdzCQpxmVAA
Mobile Dimension 127

dboyt

Parbuckling with a Lewis winch gets my vote, too.  Been there, done that!

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Larcheater

Quote from: dboyt on August 27, 2015, 09:27:18 AM
Parbuckling with a Lewis winch gets my vote, too.  Been there, done that!

Nice cylinder! 
Mobile Dimension 127

Thank You Sponsors!