iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

messing with new search

Started by Jeff, October 10, 2004, 05:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

it aint great, and it aint all encompassing, but its fast and was free and it does a pretty good job on what it covers. Problem is it would cost an arm and both legs to pay for a outside service that will completely spider the whole site.  This one will re spider each morning at about 2 A.M. I will try to set some perameters to stop it from wasting alloted pages by searching member profiles and things like the members map and point it directly at the threads. I tried it last night for things like Paul Bunyan and it found the newer stuff pretty good.

Here is a link to a simple for to try it if you want. If I can configure the free version to do a better job, I'll add a more permanat link.

https://forestryforum.com/newsearch.htm
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

I found it confusing.  I put in catfish and got 6 finds but the only thing on them was userid's . Looks like userid's that used the word "catfish" maybe.

"Thought it might be more recent stuff and put in Pecan.  It looks like more than one hit is shown on each "find" with no ay to get to them.

It confuses me.   Maybe I'm doing something wrong. :)

Jeff

Well, maybe nothing is better.

Chet stopped by today on his way down state and was telling me how good he thought it worked.

Bro. Noble

I monkeyed with it a little and was very pleased.  Never could get a DanG thing on the old one :-/

Tom must just be a Punkinhead  :D :D :D--------not a Cadenhead :D :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

bighoss550

the old one worked ok for me??? it kept me readin for a few weeks before i joined this wonderful forum:)

Tom

#^*%$$#  &$##   :D :D :D
 :PMaiden :D?

Tom

I put catfish in again and clicked on what the search found.  It took me to the member map.  That's the reason for all the userid's..... Oh-h-h-h-h-h-h ::)

rbarshaw

I tried a search for "the bandmill that I built". It did not find it, that is the title of the thread for my post on the 2nd page of the sawmills and milling category. Maybe it doesn't look at titles?
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Jeff

Dont know what it looks for yet!  :D Probably not titles, only content. Its more of a data base search query. Nothing like the forum search with the formatted post like returns that absolutely could kill the forum server. If i can get them to do a deeper spider we might have something, even if Tom cant figure it out. :)

Tom

Won't be the first time that you smart rascals left me in the dark. :D

redpowerd

earlier on the old search i had looked for outdoor boilers, didnt really find much pertaining to the certian thread i was looking for, too bad i couldnt remember the name of the thread... ::)

saw the new engine and got about the same responses, boilers heating kilns, boilers burning scrap.ect.

tried it in quotes and got zero. i kinda miss the old old one, she was slow but reliable. i know, it really clogged the board up, so i didnt use it as much.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Jeff

THis is starting to come into it. Getting beter all the time. I have added a search box under the sponsors. If I can get it to search the knowledge base now that will be good. It still does not go back as far as we need but I am working on that. :)

Jeff

Tom, I just put in catfish and I got the one about the huge catfish, and then your coplaint about using catfish to search as the second return! :D

Tom

Glsd it found the big catfish.  Least it's finding something. :D

I'll have to try it again. :) :)

Jeff

By default the search engine tries to locate pages which have exact matches for all of the words entered in your search query. If that fails, it then tries to locate pages which contain any words in your search query. If that happens a short message is displayed at the top of the search results indicating this has been done.

In addition, there are several ways to modify the default search behavior.

phrase search
The search engine supports three types of phrase search.
To match an exact phrase, use quotes around the phrase
Example: "free search engine"

To match a near (within a couple of words) phrase, use square brackets [around the words]
Example: [free search engine]

To match a far (within several words) phrase, use braces { around the words }
Example: {free search engine}

+ and - qualifiers
If you prepend a word with + that word is required to be on the page.
If you prepend a word with - that word is required to not be on the page.
Example: +always -never
* wildcard
If a query word ends with a * all words on a page which start the same way as that query word will match.
Example: gift*
? wildcard
If a query word contains a ? any character will match that position.
Example: b?g
boolean search
You can use the following boolean operators in your search: AND, OR, NOT. These operators MUST be in capital letters.
Example: (contact AND us) OR (about AND us)
All of these techniques can be combined: +alway* -ne??r*

Tom

Oh-h-h-h--   now I understand.... :-/ :P :D

Tom

"It's time to say good-night, Dick".  

"Good-night, Dick"

Jeff

Success on searching the knowlege base now! I tire business tips and soup and stuffing and donuts. Didnt think to try grits...

Jeff

Continuing to improve. Please give it a try! there is a search box now on every page under the sponsors

Fla._Deadheader

First day you had it up, it went out on the WWW.???

Today, I typed in "roofing" and got several pages of results. Had to club the DanG modem to get it to work, so, didn't try again. >:(
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

If you didnt try it in the last hour or so, its changed.

SwampDonkey

Jeff I love the new search tool. Without me looking, did ya add something to the help menu to explain the different search parameters?

Great job :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Thats what I have been looking for is feed back on weather this is the way to go. If so, I will begin to incorporate it within the website for easy use alongwith some instructions. I am playing with it a little right now.

SwampDonkey

Thanks for the heads up on this Jeff. I'de never realized it. Works great for me. I did some searches and found 3 old threads instead of diggin and searchin all over. You know how some of us post stuff with disregard for sub-forum category. ;)

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Is the search to much on the top?  Should it be there or just on the left side?

Thank You Sponsors!