iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finishing up

Started by Bruno of NH, October 03, 2019, 08:58:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Finishing up the last 6 cord next week I hope in between sawmill orders.
I might buy a load of ash if it don't cost to much.
Folks are begging for firewood still.
I like delivering with the Henry the F350 better than the dump trailer.
That Ford will take a load.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Corley5

Dump trucks are way more convenient than trailers. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Bruno of NH

I was good with the dump trailer had one for many years. Could get in most places but took up a lot of time.
The truck is much faster. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

GRANITEstateMP

I did a mobile processing job a few weeks ago.  I had 3 dump trailers (mine and 2 I borrowed), and a C50 that we can get just shy or 2 cord in (stack the front tier and the rear).  I like both kinda rigs.  When I have help, I like to process as much as I can till they are ready to leave, having 3 trailers, you can back one under and when done it's full, put it off to the side and fill another.  If I have to fill the trailer, deliver, come back and process more, my help has normally found something better to do (I got free help, we do mostly barter on wood)!  There are times I wish I had just a dump, but, it's cheaper to buy another dump trailer than another dump truck.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Bert

Firewood is a good gig. You cant beat a dump trailer though. Easier to load, cheaper registration, no additional insurance and you dont have to worry about scratching the paint. 
Saw you tomorrow!

Corley5

I started with a 12' bumper pull dump trailer.  With racks I hauled four face cords.  A year and a half later it rusted to the point the frame broke in front of the spring shackles on both sides.  It was repaired twice and auctioned immediately after the second repair.  There wasn't enough metal left for another repair.  The second was a 14' gooseneck.  I hauled 5 face cords on it.  Six if I didn't have far to go and felt brave.  Great trailer.  Double channel frame.  Pulled great.  The box frame was tubing.  It rotted from the inside out like the main frame on the first trailer.  If I ever have another it'll be parked during salt season.  Much prefer my F550.

hedgerow

Back when I sold wood I had a Chevy one ton with a steel dump box and pipe swing up sides that had steel mesh on them. You could use a old farm corn elevator and put a cord on it easy. I would drive it to work at night and delivery the cord of wood in the morning on the way home it worked great for a lot of years. When I quiet selling wood I sold the truck and now process my wood into dump trailers. I only do the 15 to 20 cord a year now that I burn. I don't need another truck to maintain. 

Corley5

A trailer that is used has never ending maintenance issues with tires, lights, and brakes.

Corley5

I had a one ton Chevy single wheel that I hauled 2 face cord and the dump trailers.  A few years we did over 1,400 face cords.  Did around a thousand the last couple years and approaching that this year with the 550.  Way less maintenance on the truck than the trailers and the tow vehicle which was a 2500 Dodge Cummins 4x4.  Brakes were a regular replacement item on it.

GRANITEstateMP

I try pretty hard to keep the dump trailer home once the road salts starts coming out.  My trialer is a 2013 Load Trail.  It's starting to show a bit of rust around the front of the trailer and some bubbles in the paint on the sides.  This winter it's either getting blasted and painted (probably need brakes & hubs too) or sold / traded towards a new one.  It's been great, but if I don't stay ahead of the rust /  bubbles, it'll go downhill and FAST.  I did have the fenders LineX-ed and the underside oiled before I ever put a load in it, pretty sure that was worth every penny!

I'd like to have a dumptruck, but I couldn't justify the extra money for a dump when I was looking for a new(er) truck.  I ended up moving up from a 05 Chevy 2500HD reg cab to a 15 GMC 3500HD, single rear wheel, reg cab.  If I have an issue with the truck and can't deliver wood, I've got 2 other pickups at the farm that I could borrow to get that done.  If I had JUST a dump truck and that was down, I would be up the creek till it was fixed.  Neither way is perfect, we all work with what we got or what we can afford.  As Corley5 said, maintenance is the killer.  I've been pretty lucky, we have probably averaged 75ish full cord a year since 2013 when I got the trailer, and most loads go on that, and I've done brakes once, and tires once (almost all delivery's are under 10 miles), and I keep the trailer and the bearings well greased. 
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Bruno of NH

Tried finishing up but got sucked back in can get $300 a cord for seasoned wood or ash.
If I wait a month I could get $340 for ash
I still have some logs

NORTH

Gotta get it while the gettings good. If people will pay Im always willing to put in the work!
Husqvarna 346xp, 350, 365, 372XP
Stihl 009L

Bruno of NH

Well I'm back at it
A new tree company started dropping off wood last Thursday 3 loads
1/2 saw logs 1/2 firewood lots of ash
They say 15 loads total 
This company is out of Mass.
They have a big Kenworth with a special loader one I have never seen before.
Folks have been calling for wood still so I will keep at it along with running the mill.

Corley5

I had 8 pulp cords of half rotten beech that was dry that I got a super deal on.  I processed and sold it all.  Told people what they were getting and gave them a deal ;) :)  Made bundles out of it too :) 8)  Best money I've made on firewood in a long time ;D 8) ;D 8)
 I've been running a little green OWB wood as well. Got a five face cord load to run off and I'm caught up again.  Don't really care if I do anymore.  I've thought about running a face book and craigslist ad for green wood...  Probably ought to start working in the sugar bush...  The Honey Do List never gets any shorter...
 I've got an order in for a lead of ash.  That'll be here around the 1st the month.  Got a couple regulars with their names on it and it'll make bundles.  Settling in for the winter. :)

GRANITEstateMP

My customer list keeps getting shorter... Then longer again!  I did the math last night, we're at 103 cord for the year.  I got to do 2 more cord of 16in next Sunday, and 2 more the next week and that should do me for customer stuff.  Me and my helpers all burn 22in wood, I keep all the oversized logs and ugly stuff that wont run through the processor for us.  I figure we got about 10 cord of that left to do to get caught up with out stuff.  Oh, and I'd really like to put up to 8 to 10 cord of 16in stuff to air dry so I can sell it as seasoned...  Argh, maybe I'm not almost finished :( 
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

hedgerow

I finally got my last three cord of hedge bucked split and stacked in a trailer a week ago last Saturday so the 20 cord I need for the now into the next year is done. Usually we get our wood done during the summer into early fall before corn and bear harvest. Been too many health issues this year so the wood got delayed.  My helpers started deer hunting last Saturday for nine days so we have a house full of people. The hunt hasn't went well only one deer harvested so far. They were hoping to have 5 to 10 by now. 

Thank You Sponsors!