iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How would you cut this log?

Started by bakerhardwoods, May 24, 2013, 03:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhardwoods

This is a white oak 10' x about 40" diameter on the small end.  How would you cut it?  I would like to have it quartersawn.

bedway

Well, let me say this about that log. If i were involved at all it would be from a supervisory position only. Dats a lot of log! ;D

Ianab

Easily, I have a swingblade mill  ;) :D

It sure looks like a candidate for quartersawing, but you probably need to rip it in 1/2 with a chainsaw as a first stage. Like Bedway suggests, a lot of work, but hopefully the quality of the boards make it worth the effort.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Solomon

With what tools I have, I would go buy a couple new Chains for my big stihl saw and rip it in half.  If my mill were smaller I would rip the two halves in half and load it on the deck one piece at a time.    Beware  this is a lot of work, it involves a maul, big hard wood wedges, and a pinch bar along with at least two guys , four is better.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Nomad

I'm with Ian.  I'd break out the Lucas.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

hackberry jake

I would split it with a chainsaw and wedges and sledges like this sycamore

Then load each half on the mill like this

If you're scared of it you could always just mail it to me. I think a couple stamps otta cover it.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

jcbrotz

CALL JAKE :D

and WDH for supervision :)
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

drobertson

Not sure of your saw, or size capacity, but splitting would be necessary for me at 40"  You could resize with a chain saw removing the major part of the slabs, but splitting seems to be the route. Still a hefty chunk.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bakerhardwoods

I'm pretending to be smarter, not lazier, in my old age and I like the idea of using a swing mill if it will get a good percentage of the material showing quartersawn fleck (sounds like a LOT less work).  The downside is that there should be some wide quartersawn boards in the center if it was cut in half first.  I'm trying to find someone with a Lucas mill to talk about cutting it and slabbing some other logs.

Chuck White

The first thing I'd do is quarter it, then saw the four pieces separately!

Nice log by-the-way!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

flyboy16101

take it Indy and ask Wood-mizer to demo the wm1000 on it ;D
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

kelLOGg

I'm with Hackberry. Did it once to a 34" oak and milled the halves just as in Jake's pic.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Jay C. White Cloud

Hello Bakerhardwoods,

Very nice log!!! ;D 8)

I would take a 75mm (~3") box heart slab out of the center with my chainsaw mill, then one more slab off of each half.  Nice big slabs can sell very high depending on quality.  Now I would take what is left, split those, and quarter saw. 

Hope that helps.

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

JohnM

Quote from: hackberry jake on May 24, 2013, 05:18:56 PM
If you're scared of it you could always just mail it to me. I think a couple stamps otta cover it.

Jake, you're crazy!!!  Have you seen how much stamps have gone up recently??!! :o :( >:(

;) ;D :D

I reeeeally like nomad's answer...just sayin :-X
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Magicman

Very nice log.

I would load it up and saw it like this 42" White Oak.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WoodenHead

I'm always in awe over the size some of you (like Magicman) handle on your band mills.  I had a 24" dia (small end) white pine on my LT40 and thought that was big enough! I did manage to saw it through and through for some nice 2" slabs (with some chainsaw whittling at the fat end).

As for that nice looking 40" log, I would agree with Jay.  Take a thick slab from the middle and quarter saw the rest.   :)

mesquite buckeye

Split it with black powder! Way more cool than spending an hour trying to rip a big log w a chainsaw and also more fun. ;D 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

steamsawyer

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on May 25, 2013, 10:20:30 AM
Split it with black powder! Way more cool than spending an hour trying to rip a big log w a chainsaw and also more fun. ;D 8) 8) 8)

What you said... But then, that is the only reason I have a sawmill... For the fun. ;D ;D ;D

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

losttheplot

To cut to the chase, fast forward to 14:00 mins

http://youtu.be/4c8rSYQngQ4

If you have the time this is a very entertaining 4 part series that involves chainsaw milling cruck timbers, hand splitting oak shakes and lots of other amusing stories.
Well worth the watch IMHO
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

scsmith42

I would definitely quartersaw it.

Here is a 60" 68" red oak that I milled last week.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

That's just nasty Scott. :D I'll bet there was some prime slabs out of that WHACK!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Nomad

Quote from: scsmith42 on May 26, 2013, 12:09:20 PM

Here is a 60" red oak that I milled last week.

I like 'em like that!  But I need a stepladder to climb on the log to reach the lever... ::)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

scsmith42

Quote from: nomad on May 26, 2013, 04:56:45 PM
Quote from: scsmith42 on May 26, 2013, 12:09:20 PM

Here is a 60" red oak that I milled last week.

I like 'em like that!  But I need a stepladder to climb on the log to reach the lever... ::)

Amen.  That darn log was so big I had to add 14" spacers at the bottom of the carriage to raise the mill up even higher!

Sometimes I just walk the top of the log....

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I like your log cabin over to the right.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!