iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling Small Logs

Started by vfauto, May 29, 2013, 09:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vfauto

This is an Idea I tried and worked rather well. I used a wooded dowel so it would not hurt the blade when cutting threw it. There is a little waste on the last couple of boards but well worth the cost of a blade. Basically mounted the log on a 2x4 (after one cut)so it sat on the bunks flat and clamped securely.

The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

Ocklawahaboy

I have always found a 1x6 on the bunks and a 1x4 in the back worked quite well.  Everyone has their own trick.

drobertson

I reckon I am a dummy, not sure what you are doing there? but if it works then heck yea!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

You are not alone. I'm waiting for an overall shot of what is happening with the 2x4 and "small" log. Meaning short, or maybe small diameter?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

vfauto

Small diameter, the 2x4 holds it off the bunks and steadies it so you can cut down to the last piece.
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

Magicman

I guess you turn it all over and place the 2X4 on the saw bed which then acts as a spacer and that the last few boards have a dowel hole  ???   smiley_dizzy  I guess.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

So, you must not be able to saw down too close to your bunks? I think some of the older Woodmizers only sawed down to 2" above the bed, is this a similar issue?
Too many irons in the fire

learner

I'm guessing that it helps to get some usable lumber from smaller diameter parts of the saw log.  Here, there is some demand for 8-4" cedar un-sawn but for other woods it isn't worth the trouble to saw smaller than 8".  Unless of course there is a demand for blanks from that type of wood.  If I can't get at least a couple 1x6's and 1x4's from a log then I won't put it on our mill.  The hours on the 51hp cat just aren't worth the amount of wood you get from the smaller than 8" logs.  For those smaller logs I would recommend a lower hp electric mill.
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

customsawyer

When I am cutting lots of smaller dia. logs I load them two at a time. This speeds up the process.  ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bibbyman

Quote from: drobertson on May 29, 2013, 04:26:58 PM
I reckon I am a dummy, not sure what you are doing there? but if it works then heck yea!

Including me in the same group.     smiley_dunce
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

frye

looks like you have a timber King sawmill like me.I had the same problem with my mill, the log stops seem to be in the wrong spot so I made two small log stops out of square tubing and a manual log clamp to make it easier when edging boards by myself.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

JohnM

Quote from: Magicman on May 29, 2013, 06:45:23 PM
I guess you turn it all over and place the 2X4 on the saw bed which then acts as a spacer and that the last few boards have a dowel hole  ???   smiley_dizzy  I guess.
I think MM's got it, that's what I was thinking at least.  Whatever works, right?!!

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

vfauto

Correct, Sorry it was so confusing I thought the pictures would tell the story.

Quote from: JohnM on May 30, 2013, 07:45:42 AM
Quote from: Magicman on May 29, 2013, 06:45:23 PM
I think MM's got it, that's what I was thinking at least.  Whatever works, right?!!

JM

Magicman

My confusion was that there was no picture of the clamped final setup with the 2X4 on the saw bed.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

frye

Quote from: frye on May 29, 2013, 07:58:14 PM
looks like you have a timber King sawmill like me.I had the same problem with my mill, the log stops seem to be in the wrong spot so I made two small log stops out of square tubing and a manual log clamp to make it easier when edging boards by myself.

Quote from: frye on May 29, 2013, 07:58:14 PM

This is an Idea I tried and worked rather well. I used a wooded dowel so it would not hurt the blade when cutting threw it. There is a little waste on the last couple of boards but well worth the cost of a blade. Basically mounted the log on a 2x4 (after one cut)so it sat on the bunks flat and clamped securely.

isawlogs

Alot of mills don't saw down the 1 inch of the bed, I am lucky i have one that does. but i have had to saw guitar backs and violin fronts and back for the school where a friend taught instrument making and i needed to '' raise '' the boards to saw them. I put a two inch flat peice of wood on my bunks added a 2x4 along the sides , put the board to be sawed on this and sawed away, we only needed to hand hold the peice on there, sawed the peices 5mm thick so that they would not have to much to take off.  If the peices where hard to hold down, one would stand on it and I would saw towards him, stop, he would then come and stand on the other side and I would finish the cut..... no toes where lost doing this.

I once sawed a red pine plantation thinning, nobody wanted to saw those little pine trees, they only had a 2x4 or two in them, I agried to saw it as long as they would have help around, we sawed three peices at a time side by side, once in a while you would get one that slipped some and would not be square, but nothing really serious. The owner was quite happy to have the wood sawed he was wanting to make a small cabin and was going to frame it with this wood.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Sixacresand

To rip a 1 inch board I have gone so far as to use wood screws to hold it down to a board underneath.  Saw up to the screw, stop the mill remove the screw and reinsert it behind the blade.  Not something I would want to do all day long.  If you need thin boards, just cut them off a thick cant.

BTW, I like Jake's idea of cutting two small logs at a time.  On the WM Lt10, two logs might be a stretch. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

Seeing Sawing Double.    smiley_divide

Sixacresand

Magicman,  Looks like one of those would be all a LT10 could handle.  There is only 17 inches between the inside roller guide and the log stop.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!