iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie's First Slabs

Started by boonesyard, April 24, 2018, 04:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boonesyard

We had an elm we needed to take down that's been standing dead for about 5-6 years. I was pleased to see how solid it was and decided to get it on the saw and see what it looked like. No rot and not much checking. We opened it up and were very suprised to see the beauty, It's like Christmas every time ;D ;D.We cut 3ea 3" slabs and 2ea 2" slabs and will be stacking and stickering tonight. My questions is, does anyone have much experience with standing dead elm? We have a lot of it where I'm at. Should I expect much degrade while air drying? 

WOW this is addictive!!

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

WV Sawmiller

That's real pretty wood. Looks almost like a cross between maple and walnut to me. I have not cut elm yet so can't respond to how well it will dry. Good luck though. Thank for posting.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

OffGrid973

No issues and keep those ends sealed as you have.  One guy built a desk from some Elm I provided and the price tag was impressive along with the build.  Enjoy and with that thick you shouldn't need to much weight on top piece.

My elm had some bug holes throughout which gave great character.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

SawyerTed

That's some pretty Elm!  

Yes the rush of opening a new log is addictive as is the satisfaction of seeing some beautiful figure in the wood!

Great job!  I would be looking for more of that Elm!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WDH

Elm has spiral grain, so drying it flat can be a challenge.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

69bronco

Quote from: WDH on April 25, 2018, 06:57:56 AM
Elm has spiral grain, so drying it flat can be a challenge.
X2 on that. I've sawn quite a few standing dead ones, there doesn't seem to be nearly as much movement.  It spalts really nice too! Saw it green and your stack will walk away!

Rjwassink67

This is what my standing dead elm looks like!

boonesyard

Thanks for the input. I've got a lot of this on the property so I'll give it a try and see if I can keep it from "walking away"  :D.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

forgeblast

Elm was used in a lot of chair seats like the welsh stick chairs because of its grain help prevent splits....

dboyt

Pretty piece of wood!  Looks like you ran it through a planer, put it back on the mill, & poured rubbing alcohol on it.  I love milling elm, but most of what I cut is urban logs with lots of trash metal.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

boonesyard

Quote from: dboyt on April 25, 2018, 11:27:54 AM
Pretty piece of wood!  Looks like you ran it through a planer, put it back on the mill, & poured rubbing alcohol on it.  I love milling elm, but most of what I cut is urban logs with lots of trash metal.
That's just the way it came off the mill. This woodmizer is a nice piece of equipment.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

petefrom bearswamp

Most of the sizeable elm is gone here.
I have sawed maybe a dozen over the last 18 yrs all standing dead.
The pieces i still have here have dried OK.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

That Yankee elm must behave better than its Rebel cousins. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on April 25, 2018, 07:59:21 PM
That Yankee elm must behave better than its Rebel cousins.
Yankee Elm has a "Grit ty" grain.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

69bronco

Sometimes it don't smell so good smiley_airfreshener

boonesyard

Were going to fall a few more this weekend and get them to the mill. I've got enough of this stuff so that by the time I'm done with it, I should be a self-proclaimed expert (has-been-drip-under-pressure) smiley_dizzy
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Thank You Sponsors!