iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice on a used Woodmizer (Update)

Started by DWyatt, May 23, 2018, 03:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWyatt

Hey All! I have recently found a used 1999 LT40 for sale in my time perusing the internet and I just wanted to hear your opinions on things to look out for with a used mill and things to spend extra time inspecting if/when I go to look at the mill.

The specifics that I know:

1999 LT40
2 Owner
27 HP Kohler (original motor, original owner removed it for whatever reason)
Hydraulic log handling
Manual Clutch
No Setworks/Accuset (I hope can be added)
Debarker
New Cantilever bushings 3 yrs ago
Forgot to ask about the lube system

Based on conversations with the owner, he hasn't used the mill all that much but I understand that the original owner used it in a mobile sawing business. The owner is willing to cut up a log for me if I come to check things out.

I do plan to call Woodmizer to ask some general questions about the mill as everything I have read on here, they are more than happy to answer questions. I just figured I would try to get as much info as possible from the FF Sawmilling Brain so I can make an informed purchase.

Thank You All! I am crawling with excitement about this opportunity!

WV Sawmiller

I don't understand your comment about the motor. Is it on or not? Sounds like it is or will be if he offers to saw a log for you. I would definitely want to see it run.

Definitely contact WM and get the VIIN before calling so they can tell you any history they have on the mill. Be sure to ask the WM rep about adding the setworks. I use SimpleSet and would hate to be without it but the Accuset is much more powerful. I would want one or the other.

How are the tires? Condition of the frame? Rust? Does the owner have the service history/owner's manual? What else comes with the mill? I'd bet he has cant hooks, blades and maybe some specialty tools such as blade alignment guide and belt tension meter he will include to sweeten the deal. All are available but why pay if available. 

Looks like Marty Parsons in Shade Gap PA is the closest dealer. He is a great guy and posts here on occasion. If you buy it I'd get it in for a factory overhaul/check-up. There are periodic service loops you might be able to on to get the WM rep to go over the mill. They are very thorough and well worth the time and money IMHO.

Good luck. Keep us posted on how this works out.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

ajkoontz

If it's the one posted on CL for $15k, you should buy it so I don't have to. I'm not currently a mill owner, but I'm in the market. It looks like a good deal to me, just based on what I see for sale around the internet. They don't give these away even if they are heavily used, and this is > 1/2 off new of same model. Woodmizer has a great reputation for service, even on 2nd hand mills. I'm sure you can get parts/ service for anything that is worn out or needs replacing.

DWyatt

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 23, 2018, 04:36:23 PM
  I don't understand your comment about the motor. Is it on or not? Sounds like it is or will be if he offers to saw a log for you. I would definitely want to see it run.
WV, I mistyped, what I meant to say is that the original owner remover the hour meter so the owner now doesn't know how many hours are on the mill. Thanks for all of the questions that I need to ask, my dad and I have a manual mill currently that is stationary so I hadn't thought of a lot of those.
Based on the pictures the mill seems to be in good shape and the owner said it has been under roof since he bought it in the early 2000s. I will keep you all up to date on how I move forward with this!

DWyatt

Quote from: ajkoontz on May 23, 2018, 05:25:15 PM
If it's the one posted on CL for $15k, you should buy it so I don't have to. I'm not currently a mill owner, but I'm in the market. It looks like a good deal to me, just based on what I see for sale around the internet. They don't give these away even if they are heavily used, and this is > 1/2 off new of same model. Woodmizer has a great reputation for service, even on 2nd hand mills. I'm sure you can get parts/ service for anything that is worn out or needs replacing.
AJ, That is the one. It is just a short jump from where I work actually so hopefully I will help you save your money! ;)

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Just Right

For what it is worth.  With anything used. . . . .You can expect to have to fine tune it once you get it and start using it.  I bought a 2013 demo model and it had been sitting for a while,  so I have had a couple of small things that I have had to work on.  The most expensive repair would be to replace that engine.  I have been surprised that everything that I have replaced has been relatively inexpensive.  Good luck and hope you enjoy.
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

tacks Y

I have owned used equipment and none seems to hold value like a WM mill. To me 1/2 price on a 19 year old machine seems high. What did this sell for in 99? I have seen some good deals on them but they don't last. Maybe to many people like me think they need one? A machine kept under roof is a good start, look for mice damage in any open holes. I bought a Genie boom lift this spring for tree work, they had real mess in the main panel.  Good luck.  

Larry

Quote from: tacks Y on May 24, 2018, 08:33:21 AM
What did this sell for in 99?
I don't think it matters.  I buy and sell made in the USA woodworking/metalworking machines.  I often sell them for more than what they cost new.

I've seen a couple of used TK's, same as the one I bought new in 2010 sell right at what I paid for my mill brand new.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

I bought my 1998 WM sawmill used in 2002 for $22K and I would not even consider selling it for that today.  I have $10K set aside for a new engine if required, and very recently thought that I would need it.  If I still had to do it, it would happen in a heartbeat because the sawmill has brought in twice that already this year.

You take care of the sawmill and the sawmill will take care of you.   :)  

EDIT:  I thought about the above post and decided to edit and add some addition information.  In no means is there any intent to be boastful, but to be helpful to anyone considering the sawmilling business.

I bought my sawmill knowing that I had many dead/dying SYP trees that surely could be harvested, sawed, and the lumber sold.  I had a "Lumber for Sale" sign out and the sawmill was easily seen from the road.  During that first Summer, I would fall, buck, and skid a tree out and then saw it.  Customers started stopping, buying, and giving me cut list for the next day's sawing.  I was on a roll and paid for the sawmill that first year.  Two complete homes were built with my framing lumber that year.  After the sawmill was paid for I continued to stash back an amount as a maintenance fund/kitty for any future breakdowns, etc.  This strategy has served me well with unexpected expenses during the past 15+ years of sawmilling.

(I don't know why some of the above text is larger.  I didn't type anything different??)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Magicman - 

That is spot on advice.  But, as far as not boasting - well I have seen the photos of you and Da Goat comparing bill fold size... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DWyatt

Quote from: Magicman on May 24, 2018, 01:14:32 PMEDIT:  I thought about the above post and decided to edit and add some addition information.  In no means is there any intent to be boastful, but to be helpful to anyone considering the sawmilling business.
Magic, I have read hundreds of your posts and the amount and quality thhat you saw allows some boasting every now and then ;) your advice is spot on with everything else that I have read in my hours of research. 
I have talked to the owner and am currently waiting to hear back from him to set up a time to give it a test run. He owns a reclaimed lumber company and has upgraded his mill to a new Timberking and is busy enough that selling the Woodmizer is on the back burner. (Good for him and his business!) I also talked to Bob at Woodmizer Indy and wow these people are beyond helpful! he gave me some info as far as what I would be looking at to upgrade the mill with simple set and lubemizer along with info about having them go through the mill for general maintenance.

Magicman

Bob Hooten (sp) is one of the best that you could have talked with.  He has done three services on my sawmill.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DWyatt

Well you all have officially influenced me to spend my money! Went and looked at the mill yesterday after work and bringing it to its new home hopefully Saturday! ;D ;D :)

Just Right

Congratulations!  You will love it.
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

Dad2FourWI

Good for you!!!

Have fun making some dust!!   8)
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!