iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you drain your air compressor?

Started by ksks, June 15, 2018, 08:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksks

I bought a 30 gal compressor.  First time I've had a bigger one.  I always used to drain my pancake compressor.

We know compressed air condenses moisture, settles and rusts the tanks.

But, there's the shoulds and the do's.  

Do folks keep them filled all the time?

Open the valve, let the air/water escape for a while getting most of the water out?

Leave the valve open and let it all out?

Curious about how life really works!

Thanks.

ksks
Striving to be average!

Larry

I try at minimum to drain the water every couple of weeks.

Water is hard on lots of air tools and can create havoc for spraying paint.  I always drain the water before doing tasks involving painting or the mentioned air tools.

Automatic drains are available, but I've never had a compressor that used one.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Chuck White

My air compressor has a "stall-cock" on the bottom of the tank!

I open it just a little and it drains every time when I'm done with it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Stuart Caruk

The screw compressor in my shop runs 24/7 as needed. So does the dryer. My old 80 gallon piston compressor sits as a backup, but the tank is plumbed into my dryer for extra storage. Before I got the dryer, my piston compressor would pump about a quart of water into my air lines a day, some of it getting past the traps and into the machines. My HAAS lathe was famous for filling the turret rotate cylinder with air, and it would malfunction. The first solution to slow down the problem was the drain on the bottom of the tank. It popped open everytime the compressor started and squirted out the water from the drain at the bottom of the tank. When I plumbed in the screw compressor I added an automatic dump valve. It opens every hour for about 30 seconds to keep the tank dry. The dryer takes care of the rest. I haven't had water problems for years.

In the days before I had automatic tank drains, I could drain a gallon or so a week. Sometimes I'd forget, and there would be a lot of water coming off the bottom.

You can buy an automatic drain, powered by your unloader valve for about $20 online. A timer style costs around $100. Worth every penny. 

Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

scsmith42

I have a Wilkerson automatic drain valve on my large shop compressor.  It automatically cycles due to pressure differential.  I bought mine from McMaster Carr but I think that Graingers sells them too.  It was around $100.00

I'm told that the Horror Freight auto tank drain valve is a copy, and that it's not a bad product.  They sell for $35.00 last time I checked.

My other compressors have manual drain valves which I use on a regular basis.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Lawg Dawg

With this high humidity weather, absolutely every day. I love clean air!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Larry

Looked up the HF automatic drain, and its only $10. 8)  Was all ready to rip over to HF and pick one up until I checked the reviews.  Horrible Freighting is the best way to describe them. :D

Maybe I should wait and get a better model. :o
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

btulloh

The automatic drain would be nice for sure.  Just extending the thing with a valve at the end that's easy to reach makes it much easier to stay on top of.  Ten bucks for some plumbing and it's done.  I did that while I was waiting to get around to spending the money for the automatic drain and that was about ten years ago.
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!