iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

types of oak to make lumber

Started by jterr, August 01, 2018, 02:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jterr

My neighbor and I have just setup a saw mill and have several Oak-mostly Water and Laurel that fell during storms last year. I have cut a couple , but they seem really wet. 
Are these type trees good for anything but firewood?
Also have 1 Hickory tree down, so gonna cut it next.
Thanks for input
JT

Ianab

Water Oak is Quercus nigra, and is considered a type of Red oak. It gets sold commercially as that, and is perfectly good lumber. 

The Laurel Oak is considered less valuable, and usually goes as pulp logs. It does make good firewood though. This is more to do with the size and form of the logs, hard to get good boards from them. The wood itself is hard and strong, it's just hard to get good boards from the logs. 

Oak logs takes years to actually dry out, so consider the wood to be "green" even though it's been on the ground for months. Stack it up to dry like normal. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ellmoe

We make flooring, etc. out of laurel and water oak. Few high quality boards ( in Fl. ), but otherwise, fine. Enjoy your first hickory!  :D
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

WDH

Both are prone to bacterial stain which can lead to some very interesting colors that you do not see in most commercial red oak. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jterr

Is the picture of just cut wood or has it been planed? Mine looks a lot darker. will try and get a picture later.
Thanks

jterr

Can't figure out how to add pics, have to read some more...

Thanks

WDH

Quote from: jterr on August 02, 2018, 09:52:29 AM
Is the picture of just cut wood or has it been planed? Mine looks a lot darker. will try and get a picture later.
Thanks
No. right off the mill, not planed. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!