iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pig Roast Mystery Wood

Started by Magicman, August 07, 2018, 06:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I didn't intend to start a topic here about the Mystery Wood, but there seems to be some interest so here goes.

You must remember that the wood sample was secured and taken to the Pig Roast for the purpose of stumping WDH so I would have to choose carefully.  It could not be some imported or exotic species but rather a species that grows in many states.  I will have to let WDH tell you how he did with his identification.  :P

I sawed the log this year and the sawing and lumber was shown in the Whatcha Sawin' topic.

The Mystery Wood is shown here on the Andy White Memorial Bench.

The end grain.

We have already established that it is not; Dogwood, Locust, Mulberry, Butternut, nor Aspen.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

While the pores would make me say some sort of oak, I don't see any medullary rays - so not oak? 

Sap wood from black walnut?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

smiley_thumbsup  And the Mystery Wood looks identical to the sapwood on the bench.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

Robinia pseudoacacia is the only thing I've seen that looks like that around here. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

I gave the thumbs up to ljohnsaw's correct answer.  :)  Juglans nigra

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

And to think that it was your favorite   smiley_gorgeous  of all of the Devil's  smiley_devil  relatives.   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!